Sunday, February 19, 2006

Carrots and Toast

After a long 42 hours of crazy cousins and childcare everyone was ready to go back to their lives. Poor Megan went to the front door this morning saying, "mommy?" and Tess (a.k.a. Teth) said she was "ready to go to her new houth." I was ready too, I was so tired, the house was so messy, and the fun of playing together had almost worn off. So I headed up to Salt Lake with the girls around 1:00. Adam and Amy wanted to meet for lunch so we went to The Training Table (pictured left). Tess had fallen asleep in the car, Megan was pretty mellow (though she dropped her binky and thought if she reminded me enough I'd be able to find it while driving), and Bella was super quiet in the car. (I figured they'd had the life sucked out of them just like I'd had done to me.)

So we found a place to sit (it wasn't crowded) and ordered lunch, then Adam and Amy and I were talking about the past couple days and catching up on things. Within 10 minutes or so Adam went to pick up the food, Amy went to the bathroom to wash her hands, so I sat with the girls (Bella just to my right). Adam came back with the food and we had just taken everything off the tray and placed them in front of everyone when Bella makes a coughing sound and spews all over the place! It was surreal, like it was happening in slow motion. Adam held up one of the laminated menus to shield the food from the vomit, but that just sent it back down onto Bella's pants and all over the floor. She was crying, Tess was standing there covering her ears, and Megan started crying too. Meanwhile, Amy was walking back from the bathroom totally unaware that anything had happened; except that everyone else in the restaurant was looking at the scene we created. Adam and I both started laughing as we surveyed the vast radius of Bella's projectiles. Adam and Amy grabbed her and took her outside, (leaving a trail of chunks), while I tried to clean up as best as I could using napkins and a vacant tray. Eventually an employee (poor guy) came to help clean it up, then another guy came to watch/help clean it up. He said, "what did she eat?" I said, "carrots and toast." Both guys were like, "ahhhh gross." By this time Adam and Amy had brushed off Bella and gotten her in their car to go home. Adam came back in so we moved down a couple tables and tried to eat the food that hadn't been contaminated. We were laughing so hard. We both had orange stains on our clothes, Tess had some residual spray on the side of her face, and the guys cleaning up the mess just kept talking about it. Adam and I were in tears laughing as we listened to them saying, "Dude, it's everywhere" and "What is that? Dude it's carrots and toast." The funniest part was when yet another guy came to help clean up and said, "what's with all the carrots?" and the other guys said, "a little girl spewed" then the first guy said, "you mean this is vomit?!" Perhaps you had to be there, but it was so funny. I couldn't really eat much after that, and Megan and Tess were bouncing off the walls by then so we finally left. Poor Amy hadn't even had a bite of her Turkey sandwich yet so we took it home to her. It was a hilarious and crazy end to a chaotic 42 hours.

It had started snowing by the time I left their house and was bad enough that the freeway was down to 35 mph. I was white-knuckling it big time and was just grateful that it wasn't dark outside. I finally made it home but was so wasted by then and had a killer headache so I took a shower (vomit removal) and went to bed until 8:45 tonight. I'm still weary, but have a little distance from the situation and the ibuprofen is working. Good times.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I'm at work and laughing so hard that I'm crying so everyone in the unit comes and reads your blog and they are laughing too, after I explain what a blog is. A much needed relief in a busy night. Thanks.

Amie said...

Yuck! Funny though, since it wasn't me! My gag reflex is way too close to the surface, I probably would have joined her.

jenn said...

Dude :) That is such a perfect end to your crazy days! I hope you have a very restful day today and that Amy and Adam got LOTS done without the girls. You are a SAINT!

amy gretchen said...

Jill I am so sorry you had to deal with that, but really grateful that didn't all go down on your watch. Thank you thank you so much for watching the kids. We owe you big time.

btw megan vomitted twice last night and woke up at 5:45....good times. They all seem ok now.

amy gretchen said...

I must add. it was much funnier reading it than experiencing...especially since I feel I was gone for the majority. Thanks for making me laughing.

everything pink! said...

AUNT of the year!!!!!!!1

Amy said...

I think it's a good thng Whitney's feeling a bit under the weather today. It sounds like you can use a nice quiet day at home!

collette said...

I am not sure I will ever look at carrots the same way again! Hilarious but gross! Glad you survived!

georgia-mom said...

Even not being there, it's hilarious. (Reminds me of Soren.) Glad you could laugh about it too. You survived!!

Christina said...

your a great story teller!! way a way to put frosting on your cake!

michelle said...

oh my gosh. I can't believe you could laugh about it at the time. That's the kind of thing I can laugh at because I wasn't there and it wasn't my kids. If I was there and it was my kids, I might be able to laugh about it hindsight. Maybe. But during the event, no way! You are a totally awesome aunt, dude.