
Randy and I were watching LOST the other night and saw the episode in Season 1 where Charlie is starting to detox from the drugs he is on. The older man, Locke, has the rest of his stash and is holding it for him, and tells him he'll let him ask for them 3 times and then he'll give them to him. He tells Charlie that life is just a series of choices, and that the only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to chose for ourselves.

Now call me crazy, but this really struck me. It seems silly considering that we believe one of our main purposes for coming to Earth is to use our free agency and to chose righteousness for ourselves, but something about the way Locke explained it to Charlie really resonated with me. It was like a moment of clarity or something. I immediately thought of all the choices we make in a day, and how they're all up to us.
Choices like, when we get up, what we eat, how we treat our kids, how we view our jobs, whether we exercise or not, who we reach out to, what we read, what we watch, what we say...I could go on and on. I guess I haven't been viewing my behavior in my daily life as a series of choices. I tend to do what I want to do or have to do, but then just live on "auto pilot" the rest of the time (apparently hoping something else will happen to make me thinner, more organized, more spiritual, or happier).

Perhaps all of this will sound obvious because we've been taught that our choices matter, and that we get to chose things for ourselves; but I've been coasting along in my comfort zone of mediocre choices and have been missing part of the big picture. I don't know why it took an episode of that show to make me understand this concept. All I can say is "woohoo" and "it's about freakin time."
**Thoughts???**
14 comments:
Great post! You're not the only one... Erin made a comment once about this very conversation on this very episode, so it apparently resonated with her as well! That gives me a lot fo food for thought since I'm kind of struggling wuth that lately. I tend to feel like my daily choices won't have the consequences I fear and actually know to be forthcoming.. then when they do occur I feel betrayed? Or..maybe just depressed. Duh.
I love LOST! We didn't watch the first season, although we are hooked now, so I never saw that episode. So true though! My husband and I were having this conversation not too long ago. Even though Noelle is only four I am already starting to think about the situations the future will hold and I am trying to make choices NOW that will prepare her for the choices she will have to make! I think that is one of Satan's greatest tools, the little choices that seem so insignificant. A spiritual message from LOST, it really is a good show!!
Thanks, Michelle. That was exactly what I needed to hear today. And I love LOST. I've been trying to get Jessie to watch it for a while now. And Jessie, great comment. I feel the same way.
Ooops, I meant to say thanks JILL, not thanks Michelle. Guess I forgot who's blog I was reading. Sorry! Thank-you, Jill!
What if I don't seem to know how to make good choices....I feel overwhelmed!
I remember when I had that aha! moment, going from thinking that life seems to force itself on us to realizing that from the first moment of consciousness in the morning we are making choices. I think of it like grass growing: slowly, imperceptibly, surely, our character is being shaped by our daily choices. Our future literally lies in the seeds of today.
angela and I had a similar conversation after the same episode- it's when I think tv isn't so bad after all! :)
I think it's always striking when we hear such profundities on TV--espicially when they mesh so well with gospel teachings. I think there is truth to be learned everywhere. I attended a lecture at BYU one semester given by someone in the Eglish department. The speaker spoke about how exposure to things that initially look bad can actually be good--if they reflect the truth accurately. Unfortunately, there is a lot of stuff out there that does not reflect truth--just bad behavior with no consequences. Truth can be hard to find, but it can be found and in the most surprising places.
I read your post this morning before I went running and kinda thought about it the whole time. I think I take all the choices I have for granted, that and I know I forget I have a choice a lot of the time- or I don't like the choices I am given. More self-analizing needed, but thanks for opening this mental can of worms for me :)
I feel like I understand choices all too well. I have never really been that great at making decision. I suppose I am so afraid to make the wrong one...perhaps one of the reasons why I have creative insecurities. Anyway, once i stood back and realized that there are no wrong choices (within the law you know what i mean) just different outcomes. Not making a choice actually is your choice. I would rather it be mine, even if wrong, and learn from it than have no choice at all.
BTW I ordered from netflicks the first season of lost. It should be here today. looking forward to watching it.
i can't believe i am the 12th comment. it is great to be at the end to be able to read everyone elses comment.
boy i was actually going to request a mid week sunday post from you. you know i have needed one this week.
so thanks
i needed to hear that a lot of my misery this week could be my choice to miserable as well as circumstances.
thanks so much
Definitely food for thought. I wonder how this can possibly feel like an epiphany when we know this doctrine deep down. But I tend to get caught up in the busyness of life, or my emotions, or whatever else bogs me down. I forget that I am faced with endless choices. If nothing else, then I can choose how I will react to the circumstances of my life, of my day... I need to remember this constantly. I love what Georgia said about our choices slowly forging our characters. Kinda puts more import on all of our little choices!
I love being able to read everyone's thoughts and comments. Amy and Georgia-mom especially rang true with me and I appreciate everyone's willingness to share. Our experiences and choices shape and make the people we are and the people we become. We DO have choices and what a blessing that is. We can choose to be happy, positive, encouraging, quiet, outgoing or reflective. What a gift, and one that I often don't take advantage of. Thanks Jill.
Post a Comment