Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Jenn

I've been scanning photos to put in my photo galleries and I added a bunch this morning from September 2004. This is a picture of Jenn one month after giving birth to her 5th baby (she looks so good) and I think it's such a cute photo. She was laughing and talking to our book club group of friends on the night we gathered to give her some baby presents.

One of my favorite things about Jenn is how she cries when she laughs. This happens with a lot of people, but it usually happens after you've been laughing really hard, with Jenn it happens as soon as she starts laughing (it's a very endearing quality).

Another great quality about Jenn is her generosity. I could list many examples of cute things she's given me and have photos of many of those items. It's always remarkable that she manages to create and arrange all of the great gifts she makes for others because her life is so busy. She has 5 kids under the age of 9, she's the Primary President in her ward which has a huge primary, she helps at her kids' school, she has a toddler who climbs, she reads for her book club every month, she comes from a family of 8 kids and has good relationships with all of them, she doesn't have a maid or a cook, she chauffeurs her kids to all their lessons and school stuff. Her life makes me very tired, but I'm so lucky to be a part of it.

So Jenn outdid herself last night by dropping off May Day baskets of treats for all of our book club group. It's an amazing array of items and was such a fun treat. I'm inspired by unexpected gifts like that and want to run out and find things to send to friends too. Generosity is a highly prized gift, in my opinion, and Jenn has it in abundance.

**What are the easiest and hardest things for you
to be generous with? Time, money, self, etc?**

11 comments:

michelle said...

Oh boy. What a question. I used to think I was a generous person until I had my palm read once and was told that it does not come easily to me. I have thought about it a lot since and decided that it probably doesn't. But it's something I'm constantly working on. I think I have a hard time being generous with all of those things: time, money, and self. Waahhh. such a long way to go... good thing I know so many truly generous people that inspire me all the time!

jt said...

Jenn really is an inspiration, but so many of you are.... (BTW- Jenn looks amazing inthat photo- a month after having her fifth. Sheesh.)I too think I struggle with all of those things, and am really trying to improve. I think maybe time is my hardest one- Since I am a young mother with only one shild at home, and have been married for less than 3 years, I think I grew accustomed to having all of my time be my own. I am slowly learning to give some of it up, which is making me less selfish. I think being the baby and in some ways having an only-child experience helped me feel entitled as well... I am learning, little by little, by the great examples around me.

Amy said...

Jill, what a question! The things that are hard for me to be generous with:

--my time, especially when it comes to babysitting. My sister offers to take Kaitlin all of the time, and I don't reciprocate nearly as much as I should.

--gifts. This sounds really terrible. It has less to do with giving and more to do with feeling like I'm a terrible gift giver. I have anxiety attacks whenever I have to choose a gift for someone. Sometimes I opt not to give a gift than try to come up with one.

It's easy to give of myself. I'll volunteer to do anything, and if asked, I'll do anything also.

everything pink! said...

money.. no. i spend way too much money on other people and always get in trouble for it.

time... maybe. but i tend to take care of myself last, thus yesterday putting off my walk

self..i should probably give of myself more.

the photo of her is amazing! i still look like i am pregnant.. but no i am not and for anyone reading this who has not met me yet please don't ask me if i am pregnant because i am not, but so look like i am. but that is another post.

jenn said...

I didn't know you thought any of that! Sheesh! And I may look good from the front- somehow I always look 3 months pregnant from the side! thanks for thinking such nice things!

I think time is my hardest. Money is just money, i can't buy my way to heaven (although, if I was more careful I might buy my way into a bigger house!). I get in "trouble" for spending too much of it but I love buying things for people! Self is something I hope is in every gift I give. But time- who has enough of that? it is really hard for me to give of my time when I have so little of it to give! (why does Jana's life tire me more than mine? just wondering about that.)

Bond Girl 007 said...

oH what a fabulous friend you have. I think I would like to meet her and learn from some of her talents. Generousity comes easy to me and I love giving everything I have...that is why I don't have anything...my parents are always telling me not to be so vast...but I think my generosity easily comes in all three--money, self and time, eventhough money is not as readily available as it once was (sad) but I think when they say "intention is what counts" I think action on intention is what generosity is all about.

Anonymous said...

You all are such an inspiration to me as far as generosity goes. I love reading how much you all take care of eachother.

Time and self are my two easiest areas. I can usually find a way to squeeze in a visit or make time for anything when it comes to service and volunteering. I have the same problem as Kristi where I put myself last, which can be good and bad. Good because it usually means I am doing for others, but bad because I tend to crash and burn eventually needing "me time". Money is hard for me because there just isn't much of it at this stage in our life. We have worked really hard to not be in debt since we got married, and even that comes at a price. So I feel like I do what I can and hope that my time and giving of myself are of value to others.

Amie said...

I don't know which is the hardest for me but I do know that I tend to give and serve on my terms...something I need to work on.

Jenn is so funny, this is a very sweet post about her. I just love that she cries when she laughs (one of my favorite things).

TX Girl said...

What a sweet post capturing all the things you love. I think the hardest thing for me to sacrifice is the idea that I am always right. I know- it sounds weird, but I do okay with giving of my time, I love buying gifts for other people (although that changed a lot with marriage and other things- so it is on a much smaller scale)-- although I'm sure there is always room for improvement. I whole "I'm always right" mentality is really bad and very standoffish. So- I would like to open my mind and change my view to.. someone doesn't always have to be right!

I thought the May Day basket was so adorable- great idea. I love May Day, but never seem to think of a way to celebrate.

amy gretchen said...

as i was thinking about your queston I kept thinking about the love languages. Giving of myself and time is easier because I so appreciate when someone does that for me. it speaks to me so I tend to do it more than gift or any of the other love languages.

Anonymous said...

I am in quite a quandry about this question. I'm not sure what is hard to give. Maybe time or it could be self and I think that alot depends on the need and what my schedule looks like. I enjoy giving to others, be it small gifts, lunch, treats, whatever. I think that we, as women tend to think of ourselves last, how would it be if we thought of ourselves first? Would our families suffer or be better for it? The thing that I do every month for myself is to get a pedicure. I love my freshly painted pigs. Jenn looks amazing and what a sweet post about her and her endearing qualities. Working, I get an evaluation every year and included is a peer eval. It's nice to hear what they think are my positives, things I would never think of. I think my thoughts have wandered all over the place tonight, sorry.