Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Book Club Birthday Dinner

So last night was my belated-birthday extravaganza with my book club friends (they're really so much more than that, but that's how we're friends so I keep calling them that) at Amy's house. She had the table all decked out and beautiful, and they'd made pork carnitas with all the fixins. I love Mexican food so I ended up eating too much feeling that awful full feeling.


The girls gave me this cute envelope with a $100 gift certificate to Paper Source! I can't seem to get enough of Paper Source cards and envelopes lately and have had Pam bring me supplies her last two visits to Utah (she lives down the street from a store, lucky girl). My goal is to make more than 24 hours without spending it because I tend to blow through gift certificates so fast that I didn't even get to enjoy the anticipation and mental pre-shopping. I only have another hour or so to go to make that goal so I think I may actually make it until tomorrow (because Randy works on the computer at night). Such self-control.

This is the awesome book Jenn created for me. She made six envelopes out of this really cute cardstock and then connected them together to make an accordion book. The girls all created an insert to put in their envelope. The theme of the book was good mail so there were addresses and postmarks and all kinds of fun postal-related things. It was so perfect for me, I just love it.

These are the pages they made. My favorite thing about these is how thoughtful and personal they are, then how cute and creative they are. It means a lot to me to read the kind things they have to say and the quotes they choose to use. It's really a priceless gift.

Inserts in order are from Amy, Collette, then Jana.

Inserts in order are from Collette, Jana, Michelle and Jenn.

We also had Michelle's fantastic vanilla-cream pie for dessert while we watched Collette's slide show from her cruise to Greece. This will come as no surprise to anyone that knows me, but I have no desire to travel to exotic places! I don't know if it's because I'm a homebody, a chicken, a chaos-a-phobe (new word), or what but I don't like to go far from home, and I especially don't like the thought of international flights, foreign languages, dirty places, and shifty foreigners. Collette's tales of Egypt did nothing to change my mind about this. I was happy to see her photos and hear about her experience, but basically felt recommitted to my nontravelling ways.

So thanks to my Book Club friends for their thoughtfulness, generosity, time and effort. It was worth the wait and I absolutely love the gift certificate and the book. Click here for the rest of the photos.

**What do you think about my birthday good fortune?
Are you a world traveler or a homebody or both?**

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

That book is amazing, as is the table setting and all your friends. I can't stop looking at the pictures of it! It sounds like you all had a great night- especially since it went so late!

We went to Cancun on our honeymoon and I was a little out of sorts the whole time. It makes me nervous to be someone where like that where I don't feel like I can hold my own. I want to travel, really I do, but I hope next time we can at least go somewhere that is english speaking.

jenn said...

It is retarded that it took so long to get together for your birthday! I hope it was worth waiting for! I am so relieved you like your book- I don't know how you do photos for people all the time, creative pressure is brutal! So, HAPPY BIRTHDAY (one last time this year)!!

Christina said...

You have WAY creative and talented friends! can i be friends with them!?!??!

As far as traveling- im totally up for it- we've been to Brazil which is where I am from and Im happy to go anywhere- although i think the best vacations are no children and just you and the hubby at HOME!

Doodle Bugs said...

I am a major homebody!! I don't want to go anywhere that I can not speak the language or get American food. I also don't fly unless I just HAVE to. I just don't like it so far away places are kinda hard to reach. I also don't like large bodies of water so cruises are out too! I think I will just stay within driving distance!
WOW!! The bookclub party pics look amazing!

Bond Girl 007 said...

Dear Missy Jill that looks like a wonderful soiree...I am jelous...and believe me if I lived in Utah I would be part of that book club! I love to be part of CLUBS! I think you are in denial...after studying such wonderful major you MUST go out of your shell soon...the time will come and you will be elated! There is nothing like travelling and surrending to something out of your control that will enrich you so much! I just think you have not had the opportunity to do, but don't fret it or convince yourself it is not something you do not desire...and by the way...I finally saw the Motorcycle Journals...excellent I loved it! I love your gifts and I love birthays because of you! Wonderful to see you had a delightful time.
lovely

Amie said...

Can I just come over and see it? I need the real thing.

I'm glad you had such a great night. You guys are an awesome group of friends.

I want to vacation but not travel...

Alison said...

I love traveling. Even my craziest nights- sharing a $25 hostel bed (with my best friend) in a room with 30 other people in the Red Light District in Amsterdam... taking the overnight ferry from Greece to Italy... jumping off cliffs into the ocean (OK, I jumped the small one)... some of my favorite memories are from when I am studying abroad.

I think I am a person who thrives on sketchy situations and people. I LOVE IT. ESPECIALLY when I don't speak the language- I'm a girl who loves a challenge.

Jill. Chaos = FUN

Alison said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
michelle said...

I'm so glad you love your book. Jenn came through again, of course, in a big way. Our birthday books are truly a treasure, aren't they? It was fun to celebrate you -- even if you are a reluctant guest of honor.

Your question about travel is so interesting to me. I've never thought about it before, but I guess I am a serious homebody AND someone who likes to travel! How can this be? Again, I am wondering about you coming all the way to Paris. I really hope you can pull it off, because I want you to be there!

michelle said...

p.s. I spent all day loading photos to smugmug so I could delete them from my computer, thus freeing up some badly-needed memory. Then I sat down to blog, finally, and blogger won't let me in to my own blog. Such a pisser.

everything pink! said...

i love it. really amazing. what wonderful friends

here is an idea. don't spend the GC utnil you come here and then you can use it in Georgetown. That will give you a lot of time to think about it.
hee hee!

traveling. i think because it has really not been an option financially is why i have not, but the way that i soak up D.C. i think i would actually really like to see the rest of the world
can you imagine all the junk that is out there for me to buy?

Anne said...

What a lovely dinner. I also love the table setting and the darling book your friends made. How great that you were able to celebrate your birthday twice this year. Who says that everyone is only allowed one special day a year??!!

I don't even own a passport. I really would love to travel, but I don't want to go anywhere I can't speak the language. I feel like I'll just be taken advantage of. So i'd really like to go to England and Australia where they mostly speak my language!

I used to work a block away from The Paper Source. It's such a cute store. I especially love their window displays which are always made completely out of paper. My favorite had an animal theme and there were 3 dimentional hippos, monkeys, giraffes and more. It was so cool.

Anne said...

I have to add, just because I think it's funny, I worked right by the one that Kristi mentioned. :)

Melinda said...

Everything looked so beautiful on that table. Yet again, I am so amazed at the creativity some people have. I was so NOT blessed with that talent. You can tell you have a really good set of friends. You are very lucky.

I am a homebody also. My sister leaves tomarrow for Europe and she has been all over the world ie Africa, Asia, she served her mission in Costa Rica, Peru,. Just every where. It freaks me out about the different food and I am sure that other counries are not as clean as I would hope. Plus did you know in China they don't have toilets?? You pee in like a porta potty thing. SO gross!!

Jordan said...

Darling little birthday celebration, what great friends! I have to say, I LOVE LOVE traveling, I've had the bug since I was like twelve! It is hard for me to stay in one place (luckily, so far we haven't had to).

Julie said...

What a cool idea! The envelopes all connected who would have thought? I love it!
As for the travelling I am with Michelle. I am a homebody who loves to travel. I must say though that it is much more fun to go with somebody else, especially if they know the area or are at least adventurous. I have been to 8 different countries and the only one I still really want to visit that I haven't had a chance yet is Italy. Some day I will go there, if it takes me another 25 years.

Anonymous said...

You have great friends who do so many cool things for you!

In my best Napolean Dynamite voice..."Luuucckkkyyyyy"! :)

Dana

jenny said...

Your b-day bash looks great! You deserve it since you do nothing but nice things for others!

Hey and I think that is WAY better than getting good mail. (Since you didn't get any that day)

Liz said...

What a beautiful table setting and the book is gorgeous! Lucky girl!

I love to travel, but it tiring and with children it is even more exhausting. I love seeing new places, and trying new foods. Maybe you could start out small, like a visit to somewhere in the US that you have never been. It might just be fun! :)

Diana said...

Wow you have such great friends. How nice to have a girls night, they are very needed sometimes.

Diana said...

PS I love to travel and can't wait till we can afford to travel more. We've been lucky to go to Mexico and Singapore since being married and I loved both trips. Lou and I would love to live in Europe for awhile just for the experience. When I was a kid we always took great trips, never outside the U.S. but to California and to New York mainly.

Laurie said...

Man, I've been slow to comment this week. Excellent birthday book. That is such a neat concept. What a fun party. I would be way into something like that - now if I can just find the friends. :-)

Tasha said...

Jill, what a great belated birthday celebration! I horde gift cards, etc. because I don't want to squander them. It is so stupid. I have 300.00 to Ann Taylor Loft, 200. 00 at our local scrapbook store and 200. 00 to the Spa at the Hotel Hershey that I don't want to "waste" on something stupid, so I am waiting for the right thing, so in the mean time, I just keep spending money there.

I've never been anywhere, I think I would love to travel with adventerous people, left to my own devices, I think I would not be great at it.

amy gretchen said...

sounds like you guys had a fabulous time with good food and good friends as always. can't believe your birthday is still going strong. the book they made is amazing. you do have a bunch of talented friends. love looking at the photos.