Thursday, September 28, 2006

Disney Hangover

I was way too wasted to blog last night after returning from a LONG day at Disneyland...happiest place on Earth, I don't think so. It wasn't too crowded, but it was hot and we did MUCH walking so really those aren't 2 of my favorite combos. I kept going back and forth from excitement to irritation to sweaty beast to tired to slightly refreshed to nauseous to average, so you can see it was quite the day for me. I determined that the cumulative feeling of being sweaty and tired at Disneyland was officially the 5th ring of my personal hell. (I will have to outline all the rings of hell at some point, but that's not something I enjoy pondering at length so I haven't officially determined them. I do know that busy WalMarts and public restrooms are in there somewhere.)



Back to Disneyland, the kids enjoyed themselves but did so in a strange way. Whitney has been a little "challenging" lately and has a tone of voice I don't enjoy, so when that voice and accompanying opinions came out a few times I was ready to start lecturing about being grateful for what she's getting to do on this fun vacation. Also, Landon always looks so serious that it's hard to tell if he's even excited or not. This is mental but when I was a kid and my friends' parents would take me to do fun things like amusement parks, trips and carnivals I would always try to look like I was having a really good time so they'd be glad they brought me--apparently my kids don't have that quality at all.

Landon and Randy loved the Indiana Jones Ride and Whitney and I both decided we don't ever want to go on that again (far too jerky for me and far too scary for her). We ended up loving Splash Mountain the best and went on that twice. Landon and I were in the very front of the log so we got soaked, we actually paid the $12.95 to get the photo of us going down the big plunge because it was the only photo of the 4 of us together and because it was so funny.



Claudia and Alfredo joined us around 6:00pm (they have passes) and directed us to a few of the kiddie rides we'd missed. Claudia goes there every week with her kids. I like to think I'd be less grouchy about it if I did it in small doses like that, but pretty much I don't think it's my kind of thing. At one point yesterday it occurred to me that maybe I'm just NOT fun. I suppose that's possible. I'd prefer not to think so, but my homebody nature, desire for comfort and climate control, and my aversion to chaos are really limiting. I guess I'm okay with that and will continue to suck it up occasionally for the kids' sakes, but otherwise stick to my normal ways.

Disneyland closed at 8:00pm, so we walked down Main Street and went in a couple stores then left the park and wandered downtown Disney. We were basically shuffling in a painful stupor at this point, but Claudia is tireless and wanted us to see things and go to The Rainforest Cafe for dinner. We ended up waiting 40 minutes to be seated, so her kids were asleep in the stroller by then (amazing), Landon was in tears from exhaustion and hunger, and I was dismayed that we were eating in a place that looked like another crazy ride from Disneyland. I told Claudia to think of the most boring place she can imagine next time and then take me there. Ha.



So today Claudia took the kids swimming again for many hours at her condo community pool while Randy and I drove to Beverly Hills to visit Paper Source. I had a good spree in there and enjoyed myself, but man the traffic sucks here. It looked like rush hour at noon! What is up with that? We used half a tank of gas going there and back and spent over 2 hours in the car. Crazy. One funny thing happened though, while I was in Paper Source Randy was walking around the surrounding streets and saw James Caan, this is their exchange.

Randy: "Hey, are you James Caan?"
James Caan: "Yes, I am."
Randy: (shaking his hand) "I'm a real fan of your work."
James Caan: "Thank You." (walks away)

So Randy called me on my cell phone to tell me this and my first response was "how embarrassing!" He thought it was pretty cool, but I just can't stop laughing about it. I keep bringing it up in random bits of conversation and can't stop giggling about it. As we got out of the car after driving home I said, "I feel like I've been hobbled" (because I'm so sore from walking 11 mile at Disneyland) then I started laughing and said, "hey, wasn't James Caan in that movie (Misery)? I loved his work."

So now we're going to the beach to finally catch the sunset and to take pictures of Claudia and her family (as a thank you gift). It should be nice, it's been a beautiful day and I love the cool breezes in the evenings.

20 comments:

Christina said...

im sorry i wasnt able to pull thru with tickets to dland...i couldnt reach my sister! UGH!!

yes dland is a nitemare for a one day try to get it all in kind of thing..but if you have the passes- you realize that for 2 hours here and there- its way easier!!

im like you- DONT like being hot and sweaty and then fighting crowds..

ya the traffic is not the best here-you plan your WHOLE day around traffic or just assume you'll be in it no matter when!

skbkmjfamily said...

When we went to disneyland we were walking out. There was this man and his three children. Two were crying. Finally the little girl looked at her dad said "dad, do you think mom will talk to us again," or something like that. She than asked where there mother was, and on and on. The dad told her that mom will be fine, and than under his breath he said "yeah happiest place on earth my butt." I loved that. So so so true.

I hope you enjoy the rest of the trip, and I would be giggling too about the james caan, that is great.

everything pink! said...

i have been anxiously waiting to hear about the day
i love that you bought that photo.

but did you get the sillouettes???

Anonymous said...

Sounded like a horrific day for you- glad you all pulled through. The thought of being there all day is just exhausting in itself. I love that you bought the overpriced picture too.

The thought of you guys watching the sunset and taking pictures on the beach- fabulous! A great reward for the day in hell you went through.

Laurie said...

I quite enjoyed your description of misery and your mention of personal rings of hell. SO funny. I love your honesty.

Vacations are so busy, exhausting, chaotic and full of expectations. That's what makes em rare for us too.

Anonymous said...

Oh your post was just what I needed after today, it was a LONG one! Is it wrong to say I laughed? Hopefully when you are home, rested and away from traffic, it will be 'with you'. It will be right? Hilarious dry humor and the kind I totally appreciate!!

Why do vacations with kids still have to be so much work? Like the sassing and attitude, wouldn't it be great if they could pack it away just for one week?

Enjoy the last part of the vacation!!

amy gretchen said...

Ahh, the disneyland vacation. Somehow it never really comes off being that much of a "real vacation". Reading this is another reminder to me why we are waiting a few years to go.

I can't wait to hear about you visit to paper source. I bet it was fabulous. so jealous.

I think it's very funny about Randy's conversation. I'm going to have to direct Adam to this post so we can have some good laughs while playing games.

Claudia's a lucky girl having you take photos of her family. Very generous of you.

jenny said...

I was wondering which day you guys were going. My dad and his wife were actually there on Wednesday as well. Weird. I too know what you mean about Disneyland. You probably will need another vacation on top of this one when you get back. I am amazed you had the energy to type. When I was there I couldn't get up the energy. Thanks for the update.

Thats funny about James Caan. SOmething definitely to remember

michelle said...

I too loved the image of your personal rings of hell... being hot and surrounded by crowds and chaos would be up there for me as well.

I can't believe how much energy Claudia has -- I probably would have been reduced to tears like Landon from fatigue.

Going to Paper Source sounds like a great respite. If only you didn't have to contend with all that traffic!

Photos and sunset on the beach sounds like the perfect way to unwind... lucky Claudia!

Amie said...

You are so funny. I am still laughing about the James Caan thing. I can hear both of their voices in that conversation. I am going to tell Jimmy, he loves him.

I wish Disneyland had been better for you. I think the happiest place on earth thing is funny but I do love it. I think it is because I love watching the kids have such a good time.

I'm a little glad you are unsure about Landon's moods too because I feel dumb that I can never tell if he wants to smile or flip me off when he is here. Hilarious about you knowing as a kid to make it obvious you were having a good time.

I am not fun so I understand how you feel faking it.

Sorry about "the voice" from Whitney....Jessica still has it at 9 and Cassady at 12 so I'm thinking this is the beginning of a very long stage.

How nice of you to take Claudia's pictures. She sounds fun and I love that she never stops. We thought the Rain Forest was cool in Florida... I hope at least your food was good.

I guess I'll stop now...

Jordan said...

Thank goodness for cool breezes in the evenings, right? You ARE a fun person, Jill! Don't let Disneyland be your guide to determine that. Love celebrity spotting. Enjoy the rest of your vacation, though as Amy W. said once, at this time in our lives, vacations aren't really a vacation from anything, it is all for the kids I guess.

Alison said...

I'm sure your kids will appreciate the fact you faced Disney Hell together- I went to Disney World a few times as a kid, and even though my parents were probably hot and tired, I have no recollection of that part of the trip at all. I just remember having fun and my Dad's comments about the hair on the legs of the pirates on the "Pirates of the Carribean" ride. And, of course, a burning desire to be the Jungle Boat Tour Guide.

I think you need to remember that NO ONE likes being hot or in crowds, especially simultaneously. If that makes you "not fun," then no one is fun. You are not limited!!! You just have your human pet peeves catalogued in a hell hierarchy.

jenn said...

Sorry it was such a lousy day. If it makes you feel better, we spent 50 bucks a person to chase princesses and ride the carousel!
And it's okay if you're not fun. We can't be everything. I have learned that I'm not funny. And I don't really like comedy. (You'll still be my friend, right?!!) I appreciate my witty, funny friends, but I'm not! So, who cares if you're not fun! You made the effort to take your kids and that totally counts!

Julie said...

Glad you survived Disneyland. I love taking a few hours, but a whole long drawn out day is not for me either. But for sure the kids will appreciate the effort (perhaps not right now, but someday). Sounds like you're having a fun time. I wish I were there hanging out too. Have a great trip home.

Melinda said...

I can't beleive out of all of us native Ca's we didn't tell you that Sept. is one of the hottest months! SO sorry! I hate being sweaty also. Unfortunalty it can be 30 degrees and I will be warm.

I hope you liked the Rainforest Cafe. We enjoyed the atmosphere a lot but could pass on the food.

It really is better to break up dland into days. We always get the 3 day park hopper so we are never rushed to get anywhere. I hate crowds, heat and everything but for some reason when I get to dland it all goes away.

Amy said...

Next time Jeremy suggests a Disney vacation I'll refer him ot this post. He keeps on suggesting it, and I keep saying no. I read this article in the SL Trib about going to Disneyland with children (the kids were younger than yours, but I think the conclusion still applies). The journalist said that people use vacations as a way to build memories for thier children without acknowledging that they are building terrible memories for themselves. So, while his son had ok memories of Disneyland, he had terrible memories. What's the point of that kind of vacation?

I am glad that you got to go to Paper Source. Is there any bad time that that store can't cure? I've been trying to find a place to go that had a Paper Source for a weekend alone away from the kids and Jeremy. Jeremy's going to be working 80 hour weeks for two to three weeks, on top of the one he worked last week. I'm going to need a break! Seriously, how do all you med school wives do it?

I can't believe Randy walked up to James Caan and talked to him! That takes some guts! At least he didn't ask for his autograph. Now, that would have been embarrassing!

I think there are several kinds of fun. There's the go with the flow, get down and get silly with the kids kind of fun. And then there's people who are more fun with adults. It sounds like this is you--it's definitely me. I've never thought of you as a not fun person! And I've been impressed with "fun" things you've done that I would never do, like going swimming with the young women in your ward when you weren't required to as a part of your calling. So maybe you're fun for teens and up!

Anonymous said...

My husband just walked in the door and I HAD to read him you blog about Disneyland--we laughed through the whole thing knowing that we are headed into that "5th ring of hell" in 3 days. Heaven help us!

Jana said...

You are hilarious. I love Disneyland...but have decided that it gets less fun the more kids that you have. I think that the Indiana Jones ride started my last miscarriage. It is very jerky. Can't wait to hear about your whole trip.

everything pink! said...

i had to check in to see if there are any more updates. i assume you are home by now. can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip

charlotte said...

I went to Florida with my best friend last spring break and we went to Disney World for a couple of days and I concluded that DisneyWorld (and I'm sure the same could apply to DisneyLand) is more fun when you're older and not with little kids. I had a blast and figured out I'd like to live in Cinderella's castle, but I think what made it fun for me was 1) being able to appreciate DisneyWorld more and having the stamina to pull long hours and 2) Rachelle and I were able to "be like kids" without the bedtime. If I ever go back, I don't think I'll go with any little kids. Sorry about your exhausting Disney experience--it's more fun without little ones, promise!