
I went to Wendy's drive thru today and saw this lovely note posted on the menu board. Should we be afraid for the future of America? I'm thinking yes, especially if that note really is from the management. (Fortunately I wasn't getting either of those items.)

A picture of the kids in Whitney's class all in their jammies today for their Polar Express Party. Whitney is the cute blonde in the pink Hello Kitty jammies (hand me downs from Jessica, thanks). The party was pretty fun, but man kindergarten always makes me want to go home and take a long nap.

There are lurkers among us, and I'm officially inviting you to reveal yourselves and join our blogging community. This invitation is being issued today thanks to Natasha from Mandeville, Louisiana. She sent me a darling Christmas card made by her daughter and a whole package full of fun stuff. I've never even heard of Natasha before, so this good mail came as a serious surprise to me. Natasha is a friend of Tasha's and has been a lurker on my blog for awhile. Hmmmm. I'm delighted to have you as new friend and hope that you will start commenting from now on. Thanks for all the goodies and your very nice notes. (I'm impressed with your cute good mail labels!) I hope that any of you other lurkers out there will start commenting too.

I'm surviving my crazy week pretty well. Yesterday I spent 3 hours at Whitney's school (today too), had Activity Days and my Ward Book Club. Everything went well, it was just a long and busy day. It ended disappointingly with a repeat of Veronica Mars (I was so looking forward to watching it after my crazy day).
Thanks for all the book advice the other day, these are the books we're going to be reading for the next few months for our ward book club.
January--Letters from Mir by Jerry M. Linenger
February--The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis
March--John Adams by David McCullough
April--The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
May--My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok
June--To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Tonight is book club with our Christmas book exchange (always fun). Tomorrow I have to go in to Whitney's class for 15 minutes to read to the kids, then my visiting teachers are coming, then I have a day of baking (now only 9 dozen) for the cookie exchange at Hannah's tomorrow night. Friday is actually clear! Hopefully Michelle's kids won't still be sick by then so we can get together, if not I'm lounging at home all day.
**Did you start out as a lurker??
Is your week going pretty well?
How much do you have left to do for Christmas?**
Is your week going pretty well?
How much do you have left to do for Christmas?**
33 comments:
Glad you were surprised Jill! I know, I know, I guess I need my own blog or at least could leave comments! I am intrigued by the whole blog thing - I enjoy reading everyone else's but don't know that I want my own posted. (I have ex-husband issues.) I'm thinking about starting a My Space page instead. My sister has one and she posts pictures and can receive comments but it's not really a blog. And in some stange way I think it's more private. I don't know! Anyway, blogs are neat - just imagine how many lurkers are out there! I have other Good Mail packages on the way to the blogging community! Hope you had a great day and glad you got something besides a bill or junk in your mail box!
natasha
So funny about the sign at Wendy's. Yes, I started out as a lurker. My week is going pretty well, Jessica has had a lot fewer seizures this week than normal. And I am about half way done with Christmas. I made my first batch of Christmas fudge Tuesday. I loved your last post, I feel your pain about whitney. Mattie has been complaining that he is being FORCED to go to horseback riding. I am such a troll aren't I, I can't believe I'm making him have fun!!! hahahaha
Yes, started as a lurker.
Having an ok week.
Christmas readiness.... well, hmmm. I am having a little bunny crisis, but I know everything that I want to get/make at least!
What a week! I get exhausted during my kindergarten days, as well. How do they do it?
Sounds like a smashing book list - I think I will go read some Chaim Potok. He is a fave of mine.
Would you mind explaining the book exchange? it sounds like something my group would get in to! Thanks!
I couldn't start as a lurker because I can't keep my mouth shut.
I drove through McDonalds and ordered a Diet Coke and she said "we're out of diet coke." WHAT!!!! Unfortunately that was what I was getting so I left empty handed. Maybe we should be afraid.
I do think I lurked for the first few weeks of blogging...I didn't want anyone to be mad that some strange girl was commenting on their blog!!
The sign at Wendy's cracks me up (although you could probably laugh just as hard at some of my comments, complete with run on thoughts and mis spelled words!!)
I am starting to feel mild panic with the approaching christmas..there is still so much to do and so few weeks left..AHHHH
Rebecca, for our book club book exchange this is what we do. In November we draw names then chose a new book (preferably with a pretty cover) we think that person would like, along with either buying or making a new book mark. Then we wrap them nicely and exchange them at our December gathering. It's something we all love to do, and it has become a fun tradition for us.
I think the sign at Wendy's is funny. I saw one at Iceberg while I was there that said, "Please don't through away trays" Did you get that? Instead of throw away the trays. WOW, a bit scary.
Oooh, your list looks so good. I love so many of those books. The John Adams book sounds good. The kindergarten party looks fun. The class looks HUGE! You were a champ to find other mom's to help. I HATE making those calls. Did not start out as a lurker. Had a site for some time, but wasn't motivated to really blog until I saw others getting really into it. And you were my first non-known blogger friend and that turned out so good. So it just kind of blossomed.
Ok, Ok, I'll stop lurking. The funny thing is yesterday I made a goal to start posting comments.
That was very sweet of natasha to send you some good mail. My question is: how did she get your address? I'd like to send some fun packages out, but I don't have anyone's address.
As for as blogging goes, natasha, you can set your blog as private. Then your blog won't come up in searches and if you post a comment and it links to your profile, your blogname is not listed so lurkers can't see your blog that way. Of course, if other bloggers link your blog, nothing's to prevent people from finding you that way.
While I wish I were more suprised about the sign at Wendy's, that looks pretty typical. And I am not that worried about the future generation because these are not our future doctors and lawyers. Although, grammar errors seem to grow exponentially by the generation. Do you think our parents would have encountered a sign like that? Probably not.
**Did you start out as a lurker?? nah-amie told me about and away i went..
Is your week going pretty well? so far pretty good!
How much do you have left to do for Christmas?** just gifts for my parents and jons parents and to make some See's Fudge-recipe to come soon!
I am laughing so hard at the Wendy's post because on our way driving home a couple of weeks ago. They shut down the drive thru and told all the people in line it would be at least 30 more minutes before they would be serving food. Hello!
I did start as a periodic lurker for about 8 months until I took the plunge.
My husband read John Adams and I think he liked it. I have decided he reads for the both of us in the family.
I am almost done with Christmas shopping I just have to take "inventory" of all the junk I have thrown in the corner of my closet and under the bed.
Ok, I've been lurking! You always make me laugh but I can't think up witty comments so I just hop over to Lori or Robyn's blog to see whats going on with them, never making any comments wherever I go. I sort of feel like I'm cyber stalking the Maher family. Creepy!
And speaking of bad punctuation/spelling, have you read "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" yet? It's all about bad punctuation and I love it! I feel like a horrible nerd reading it but in an intellectually condescending way.
I'll try and do better with posting comments in the future!
I was a lurker! And I have a feeling that some people that read this blog are lurking on my blog. If so, come forth!
I noticed none of my book club suggestions made the first few months. I have to admit, I cried. :)
The Wendy's sign cracks me up- such a sad state of affairs. At least it was in English I suppose...
I started as a lurker, and still lurk here and there when I have down time to actually look at everyone's. Weird I know.
My week is going splendidly and since it is the busiest week this month for me and it is almost over, I am feeling even better.
I just wrapped most of our Christmas presents and need to do a little more shopping then finish making 2 handmade things. So I am feeling great about the time frame. Love the early shopping this year and don't know why I ever waited to get it all done in the past.
We are doing a book exchange as well but we don't draw names ahead of time. Great idea- I will totally have to run it by our girls.
well not exactly you made me dive in immediately! how is my week...I am in such a shock mode that I haven't functioned well lately...we are leaving next wed...for almost 3 1/2 weeks! scary...change in plans...so I don't know really how my week is going or how I am to do it...feel out of sorts...sad because I ended up deciding not to decorate! that really made me feel depresed!
Of course I started out a lurker, I think you knew that. I started lurking on quite a few blogs back in Jan. It took me until October to start my own. I have no idea why.
My week is going just fine. Fast as usual. I have so many people calling that want their hair done before the holidays. On Mon when I came home from a few errands I had 14 messages! Why must people wait till the last minute?
I would guess I am almost half done with Christmas. I am going out of town tomorrow (yeah!) so I hope to make a real dent in what is left.
yes, i started out as a lurker. the whole privacy thing kind of freaked me out. natasha, i too have people that i don't want to be able to have free access to me. but the pros far outweigh the cons i think. i feel like i have a whole new group of friends!
wendy's scares me period. i got a grilled chicken sandwich when i was pregnant with christian and it came complete with a nice long strand of black hair. this was over four years ago and still grosses me out. i have ventured back there now and again, but never to the one on redwood road.
week is crazy, crazy! i am averaging about 4 hours of sleep and still not doing the things i want to do...oh to spend time blogging and catching up with everyone else. but hopefully my cards will be out tomorrow (a few straglers on friday) and then i'll be ready to get on to the next christmas project. why do i do this to myself!?!??@!? i don't feel close to being done with christmas...
That Wendy's sign is disturbing! I second the suggestion to read "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" if you haven't. You'd never guess that a punctuation book would make you laugh out loud, but it's wonderfully funny.
I'm a lurker! I have commented a couple of times, and every time I do I think, "eeek, I probably scared that girl to death." I found your blog through a roundabout way -- my friend Lisa to her sister Anna to Kristi to you. So, I don't know you at all, but I think you are so funny, and I enjoy reading your blog. So, thanks for being so welcoming to all of us lurkers! :)
I recently found your blog and then discovered that all blogs I read go back to you. I am a big time lurker and felt so guilty that I finally started my own blog in September. I love the books your book club chose. John Adams is one of my all time favorite books. For me it started out slow and then I couldn't put it down. My husband just finished Truman by McCollough and he loved it as well.
Becca told me about hers and Christina's blogs in March and for a couple weeks I thought I was too busy with a brand new newborn to blog, but by first of April decided I'd make the time. I don't think I lurked on yours - I commented right away, but as a blogger I have lurked on a few others before commenting.
I can't say I'm surprised when people who work at fast food don't know their grammar. I'm guessing they wouldn't work there if they knew it. Hope that doesn't come across mean - it isn't meant that way.
Hey Jill I am itching to send some good mail. Could you hook me up with some info? lizzymorse@gmail.com
I agree the sign is pretty funny, but I will give them a break as I am no writer myself. I am actually no longer a fan of Wendy's.
I feel like I have a lot left to do for Christmas, but that may be because I haven't actually stopped to cross thing off my list. I am just doing what I have to do each day to stay a float. Thank goodness January eventually comes.
O.K. I guess that was a bad comment. I guess I just have low expectations for fast food places.
The term lurker sounds so creepy. I think I'd rather post than be a lurker. :) I came across your blog just a couple of weeks ago and have been very impressed by this group of incredible women who share ideas and support eachother. My husband and I are in Peru this year and I think this has made it so Christmas hasn't been a stress at all for me. It is partially due to the fact that I feel like it is June since we are heading into the summer months in South America!
look at lurkers came out because of this post.
i think we should come up with a new name for lurkers that sounds more positive, like glancer or seeker...mmmm
i love the package that she sent and think if more people had your address you would be gettng those daily
you truly are the mother of all our blogs and the creator of our creativity!
we love you jill...
if anyone wants to send jill a surprise package you can email me and i will screen you so you can get her address..
Ok so I'm a lurker what can I say. I've never commented but think your so great and hilarious. I came upon your blog by the way of Jessie who I knew when I was a student in Orem and we had a friend in common. I have since moved back to Texas where I am from and am now married and have 3 stepdaughters and a 3 monthy old son named Landry.
I have been reading your blog for probably 9 or 10 monthes now and think your good mail projects are a fantastic example of service. Now that I have my own family I hope to instill that in my kids and remind them of how fortunate and blessed that we are. We are doing some service at a Children's home this Christmas and we are all really excited about it.
I never comment because I don't have a name thingy and don't know to get one but I will try.
The Lurker,
Tina Escobedo
I'm a Lurker here too (I get on and read about once or twice a week.) But with 5 kids and having just moved, who has time to blog? Ha ha!
I love reading your blog though Jill. You are an inspiration!!! I love that you are the down to earth girl next door kind of gal!!
Hmmm, what can I say about me? I'm Kari a SAHM to 5, I have my BS Degree in Elem. Ed that I got from BYU 10 years ago but I've never taught because I've been raising my kids and the oldest of which is 10. My husband is a civil engineer who designs roads and we live in Denver, CO.
Thanks for inviting me to comment (though I may have commented once before, can't remember). I found your blog through Katie who is a friend of mine.
You just might find me commenting more often now! :) I hope you have a GREAT Day! And good luck with ALL THOSE cookies! I love cookie exchanges, what fun!!!!
Ok...out of the closet I come! I am a glancer...I like Kristi's term. I am friends with Jenny and Angie (TX girls) who started me on this slippery slope of blogging. I went to the same H.S. as Jenny, although we didn't know each other until we lived in the same ward in San Antonio and our husbands were in residency at the same hospital. And that is how I met Angie too. And now I've introduced my sisters and friends to blogging...so I think that the family blogging tree might start to get a bit complicated, but we are all somehow interconnected, right? It is such a fun way to journal and be inspired by others. Thanks for your witty posts!
Jill, you are a blogging celebrity and I am totally jealous. I have never gotten over 20 comments in a post, ever.
Since this is an open invitation to come clean - I am doing so! My name is Lisa and I am a lurker/glancer. I also came upon your blog through my sista, Anna - who is friends with the TX's gals. It is funny to try and connect the dots. . .
Your GOOD MAIL tradition that you inspired... is just a fantastic idea! I just really love your sense of humor and your creative wit. If there are 'celebrity bloggers' I would consider you and Kristi to be such! Thanks for inviting us to speak up today. :-)
What a fun post, I've never been a lurker on your blog, maybe a slacker...I usually comment on the majority of blogs that I read and feel that I have a whole group of friends that I've never met, what a blessing.
The state a grammer is a little sad to me as is the use of words or the lack there of...
I am no where near ready for Christmas, oh well, I'm sure it will get done.
I am totally upset by that sign. I can't even look at it anymore.
You really outed a lot of lurkers, eh? I knew you were a blog celebrity, but I had no idea how big... I'm just glad you still remember the little people.
Do I count as a lurker? I comment every now and then, but not with any regularity. I do try to read every day though! I love your blog!
I meant to comment on your Christmas music blog a couple weeks ago, but never got back to it. Can I comment now?
I, too, love the new Sarah McLachlan cd. I'm glad you took that recommendation and bought it. Also, there's a Christian group called MercyMe that has a christmas album I'm IN LOVE with. It may be my new favorite. My old favorites were Forgotten Carols by Michael McLean and the Donny Osmond cd. Yes, I'll admit I like Donny!
That Wendy's sign seriously scares me. Who in the world typed that, and did nobody who read it see the glaring, horrible errors in it??
I'll try to be less of a lurker and come out more often!
Post a Comment