Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Adjusting to Normal Life

It's a week after New Year's and I'm still not adjusting well to normal life. I actually feel like I'm shutting down because of the many obligations creeping their way onto my calendar. Maybe vacations aren't such a good idea, because I was holding steady until I had a cushy 3 weeks of sleeping in, eating out, going to movies, and opening presents. I can't decide if I want to whimper or yell, but I'm leaning towards whimpering.


Tonight I have my ward book club to discuss Letters from Mir by Jerry Linenger. I would never have chosen to read this book on my own, so I had a hard time staying awake yesterday while trying to read it, but am happy to report that I finished it last night. I think it was worth reading, but I'm going to stick to fiction. (Fortunately I don't have to lead the discussion.)


Today was my first day back helping in Whitney's classroom and I didn't feel nearly as happy to help as usual. This could be because the mommy-helper schedule got messed up so now instead of every Tuesday I'm scheduled for all different days (@#$%), plus going in on Tuesdays to switch out the reading books. I went in today thinking I was just going to be there for 25 minutes to switch out the books, but Mrs. Hurst needed my help and is used to me being there on Tuesdays so I was there until 10:40am (but am scheduled to go in on Thursday). Drat. (I have no idea where the scheduled mommy-helper was.)

In other news, they called a new assistant camp director on Sunday so I guess that means I'm off the hook for camp this year! Hooray! I also got to keep my same primary class from last year so that's cool too. My Activity Day Partner and I planned out our activities for the year and I was careful to schedule them NOT on the same day as our ward book club, so that should make my life easier too. I still feel like there's a lot on my plate, but it's all doable if I can just get my groove back.


Harking back to last Saturday I hung my new artwork from Jenn on the wall by my desk in my bedroom. I'm very pleased about this and get to see it often while reading on my bed. Thanks Jenn! (It matches perfectly.)


On Saturday I got this box of good mail from Price Cream Parlor (a.k.a Lisa) from Oregon. I was delighted to get her nice note and all these goodies. I've been eating the Milk Duds (hello my old friend) and am embarrassed to say that I burned the popcorn and stunk up the house. I was so bummed out because I was anxious to try the combo of the popcorn and milk duds like she recommended, but the bag of popcorn was smaller than the usual size and I did NOT factor that into the cooking time (2:20) so instead Randy and I were left to watch a movie in the stank of the burned popcorn with no caramel popcorn goodness. Thank you for the good mail Lisa, I just wish I was smart enough to make microwave popcorn!

I'm also starting to feel panicked about going to Paris. I'm not happy with how I look, my frumpy fashions, and all that flying so today while wandering Walmart (which is never a good idea) I had a pang of panic as I realized that by not traveling I never have to deal with the frustrations of my frumpy fashions. I think I basically just get through my days and can't wait to get into my jammies, do I have any business at all being in Paris?? I don't think so. I feel like I need an extreme makeover intervention tout suite!


In case you haven't noticed I've got a major funk going on and feel powerless to resist. I keep telling myself to focus and to work on things for other people, but pretty much I want to be in the fetal position on my bed. This is not good.

**Are you adjusting to the New Year?
What's your funk status?
Do you ever wish you were invisible?**

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your funk. I am in a bit of one myself. That is a bummer about your different scheduled days at the school. I would have been bugged about that.

Okay, I am a little freaked out that Lisa sent you a fun little package. Not that she sent you one, but that I sent you one ALMOST like it yesterday. How's that for suspense? So if you see double in a few days, sorry.

I wish I were invisible many days. I would like to have a cloak like Harry Potter. He has one and turns invisible putting it on. Cheesy I know. Cheer up sunshine. :)

amy gretchen said...

I hate being in a funk. If you asked me this Saturday/Sunday I would have said yes, but right now am feeling pretty good other than feeling like I may have been exposed to the hantavirus...long story.

I really hate it when plans change so sorry the school schedule is so mixed up. Hopefully you can get it figured out to work better for you. But great news you don't have to worry about camp.

I hope you feel better soon. Perhaps you'll get some good mail to cheer you up today.

Anonymous said...

I am fighting the funk myself. At least you have Paris to look forward to.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your funk. January is always a hard month for me. I know this so I am trying so hard to stay busy and not wish back to the holidays.

I have a hard time with snack size popcorn bags too. Sometimes our microwave popcorn setting does just fine with them and other times they burn badly.

An invisability cloak like Jenny said is a great idea. I'd love to have one to go to the store, when I don't want to get dressed, go to church when I'm running late oh and for so many other reasons.

I need a plan, I'd feel stressed if I were you too. I hope you can get that all straightened out with Whitney's teacher.

Anonymous said...

I am in the same funk. I keep telling myse,lf that it is the move, and adjusting, but it still hasn't helped.

I have gotten a lot of good mail to help with my transition, so that is a blessing to have many wonderful people thinking about me and my family.

Hope you feel better soon.

Tasha said...

Jill,
Last week, bad funk. This week, not so bad. I am forcing myself to do one thing a day that I don't want to do. (Go to the gym, clean up a pile, etc.)

Of course you have business going to Paris. I think anytime we have to go outside of our comfort zone its, well, uncomfortable!

Here's to hoping the funk lifts soon!

Laurie said...

I'm here to tell you that you will feel attractive while traveling in Europe. At least that is my opinion and experience. It's an ego booster to travel to other countries. I find that you leave the land of Gap and Old Navy and standard blonde highlighted hairdos, and enter a world of fashion that is a lot more random and hodpodge than here (if you ask me) and anything goes. The fashions in Europe generally are less actractive/funky (to me), and even though Paris is stylish and all, I did not feel like a pheasant there in my standard t-shirts and capris.

Anonymous said...

I feel the pressure of getting back into the swing. I keep thinking of all these things I would like to have done before my daughter starts school on Friday. Like cleaning her closet so she can find clothes to wear and filling in her book chart for the last month.
Just bring all black and white to Paris and some scarves. And then just don't worry about it. I always regret letting how I feel about myself affecting the experiences that I have. Just go and enjoy all that is there for you.

Anonymous said...

Too bad there's not a cure-all piece of 'advice'.Everyone's so different-no 1 way to 'snap' out of it!!I feel for ya.I know it's a real thing! Sorry.

If you need a good cry, maybe watch a tear-jerker favorite of yours!You know the kind that just thinking about it makes you choke up! Get it all out, then have a good sleep.

I would prefer to be magic and twinkle my nose like Bewitched and have Christmas put away!! yikes!!
Being invisable wouldn't help me!hahaha

p.s.Maybe watch a hilarious movie instead -you know,laugh till you cry! Feels good. -ciao

Anonymous said...

Dear Jill,
I can so empathize with your funk. Today I cleaned my living room, which is fairly small and it took me all day. Honestly! Hang in there, keep plugging along. What else can you do?

I agree with Laurie when it comes to going to Paris. Life is so different from here, everywhere else. I felt the same when we were scheduled to go to Chile to pick up our son from his mission. I know I wasn't going to fashion capital, but I was going to meet all these people who knew Terry and who knew Tyson. It was very daunting, and yet there I was, and I loved every minute of it! You will too! What's better than Paris?

By the way, I love your desk! That is such a cute little spot!

Anonymous said...

I think that the funk hits right after the New Year for most of us. All that jazz with the Christmas parties to plan and attend, gifts for family and friends, service and obligations.Crazy busy!..then the new year and NADA! It is almost like you are flying high and you crash land without any notice. HATE IT! I tend to be overwhelmed with my life more often than not - so that keeps me strung along...all year. :-)
But I do have those moments of just sitting there not wanting to move - or talk! Sorry about the popcorn! I didn't realize that it was a smaller bag! Ugh! Gotta try it though - it will be your new favorite!

michelle said...

Well, don't I feel like a chump! I had no idea you were in a funk and wanting to be in the fetal position on your bed! I guess that's what I get for not talking to you since Friday...

I was very low last week, this week I'm doing better. I can't recall ever feeling this badly in the new year before, but to hear everyone else it certainly seems like a trend.

I share your Paris anxieties, but I sure love Elizabeth's advice! (just bring all black and white and some scarves and then don't worry) My grandma always says that if you want to be comfortable, don't travel -- but I know this trip will be worth it! So many cool things to see, and a book girls' trip. Seriously, what could be better?

I wish I could be invisible most of the time. Feel better, my friend.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you are feeling in a funk. I have felt the overwhelmed feeling creep back in this week as we get completely back to normal with lessons and field trips and things to do on Saturdays, and just all that.

I think if you let your funk decide you have no business going to Paris, then you will always regret not seizing the day. I so typically want to cancel anything extra that is making me overwhelemed (and often do). But, when I actually go through with them (and I'm talking little things like preschool field trips that I don't want to park downtown for.) I realize it wasn't the big deal I was turning it into, and I am glad I went or did it. I think it is such a special opportunity to go to Paris and have your wonderful friend be there to show you everything -- you can't let the funk win. That's my 2 cents.

Sorry your school volunteering schedule got out of whack. That kind of think makes me crazy. Hope you feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

That kind of "thing" not "think", sorry.

becca said...

I can so relate to your funk!! I am having the hardest time getting back into the swing of things. I cannot stay focused on one task long enough to complete anything!! What a joke!

You are going to have such an incredible experience in Paris. Don't for one second let your mind dwell on your clothes, the size you want to be or any thing else. Just enjoy the fact that you get to go!! I honestly believe that we are our own worst critics and we hold ourselves back more than anyone or anything else ever could!! Don't hold yourself back on this, what an experience it will be!!

Anonymous said...

I very nearly did not go to Paris with my husband this summer (issues with leaving my kids...) and my brother-in-law told me that whether I went or not, the days would go by, so I may as well enjoy them in Paris. I get bugged when thoughts of details cloud the big picture (what to wear, etc) but they do, and that is us, and we do have to live with ourselves... so. Panic about Paris, fine. It makes sense. Just be sure that in between attacks you get your passport (have you yet???) and some comfy cute shoes. I can not wait to see Paris through your eyes.

jenn said...

do we belong in Paris? I seriously doubt it! but I can't wait! good food with good friends and one picture by the Eiffel Tower- that will be a great trip! So funk or not, you're coming!! And you will never see those people again, so wear your pajamas!

TX Girl said...

Jill- You HAVE to go to Paris. Everyone should experience it once in their life. Don't worry about what you are wearing- I have been 3 times and NEVER dressed appropriately (bad weather, small amount of space in my backpack, just came from India and again.. no space)- DON"T WORRY- in the end you won't remember anything about what you are wearing. You will only remember the Eiffel Tower, delicious food, laughing with friends, the Louvre, The D'Orsay, the Seine.

I hope you get out of the funk. I hate funks.

Anonymous said...

My funk status is high--that time of year. As for the school thing Jill, be honest with the teacher and see if you can rearrange things. I'm sure she will be more than willing to help out. Twice a week is a lot . . . especially if it takes the enjoyment out of it.

Here's to getting out of funks my friend!

Anonymous said...

I hate funks. I am sick of this sleeping in funk I've been in.
That's how vacations are. You want to look cute and your best and you just never feel as cute as you want to be. Go have fun. Don't worry about it.

Anonymous said...

I hate the funk. I too just want to stay in my jammies and eat junk food all day, ie chips ahoy cookies. I'm having a hard time getting motivated to do anything. Is it wrong that Christmas is still up at my house? Maybe next week, although I still put on the tree lights at night, it makes me smile.

I love the popcorn and milk dud combo, yummy!

That kind of stinks that the schedule got messed up at school, hopefully you can get that fixed.

Have a nice hot bubble bath and a good cry. Know that you and loved and thought of often.

Paris? You deserve a vacation with the girls. Go for it and forget the fashion woes, we all have them and eat lots of good food.

Amie said...

Laurie's comment made me feel better and I am not even going. I feel like that when I go to California - but that is the land of the stylish, blond, thin, and fixed with surgery to boot people...

I always feel more like a slob and lazy than anything. I wish I were more comfortable trying new things.

I am afraid I am adjusted to normal life, it's just not the life I think I want, I am trying to figure out how to adjust to the me I am in my head.

Hope your feeling better and than your book club went well.

stefanie said...

I have been in and out of a serious funk for a couple of weeks. I thought I was coming out of it yesterday, but today I'm right back in it. I think I'm going to have to adopt Kristi's strategy of 'choosing' to be happy.

Sorry to hear you a stressing about your trip. That is never any fun. I kind of had the same experience before I went to Hollywood back in August. I did get a new outfit to wear that I thought was fabulous. Once I got there, I looked around at everybody and they looked like they just threw on whatever was the least wrinkled off the floor. It sure made me feel better knowing that I at least made the effort to look nice. Plan your wardrobe for while you are there with things that you love, that make you feel good and are comfortable and you will be sure to have a great time.

I hope today is a better day for you!

georgia-mom said...

I don't normally have a problem with depression, but I'm thinking about throwing myself into a deep depression so I can sit on my couch and watch movies and not be expected to do anything. That's my funk.
Having just traveled to Mexico and Hawaii, I second the motion that you just wear what you want. There isn't anyone who cares but you, so dress to make yourself happy. You will see plenty of people who care a lot less than you do.

Jessica said...

i think you do so much for other people and are so creative and such an inspiration to others! its sad to hear that you are in a funk. hopefully it will clear up soon.

good mail always helps. i love this concept, and one of my new year's goals is to begin sending out more good mail. how do you make your cute labels for good mail? i think they're so darling!

Angie said...

Sorry about the funk, but it will lift soon.

HECK YEA you better get your boodie to Paris. You would be so in a funk if you decided to not go. Who cares about fashion, like everyone else said, wear whatever, be comfy, and you'll have fun.

Anonymous said...

I always have a funk come on when I have somewhere nice to go and I feel like I only own frumpy Mommy clothes. I usually just end up wearing all black and cool BC (before children) jewelry. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Sorry you're in a funk!! The new year always does that to me, but fortunately it pretty much dissapated after I got back to school. Going back to school was the last thing I wanted to do because I had such a great break kicking back and sleeping in and watching movies. Fortunately though, slipping in the groove was much easier than I anticipated. The week right after New Year's though I was most definitely in a funk which was not good!

Also, I hate it when I burn the popcorn because then the whole house smells gross for at least the rest of the night and usually into the next day and you didn't even get your popcorn. Paris will be awesome by the way--you'll have a blast!

everything pink! said...

panic about paris? that could be a song.

you will have a wonderful time and i am thrilled about the camp director posistion being filled. with your other 16 callings you need a break!

Amy said...

Jill, I'm in a funk too--though by now, I'm sure you've kicked yours. I'm feeling poerless to get out, but know i will once I just make up my mind to do it. I just don't feel like making up my mind yet.

Strangely I'm feeling quite confident about Paris. Over the years Jeremy and I have started planning many international trips, but fear has always stopped us. Maybe I feel so confident because I managed to go on a cruise and walk around the streets in a foreign country without anything happening to me. I suspect, though, that it's because I'm traveling with my friends, and we have someone who can speak the language. I hope you can be excited about Paris at some point--even if it takes landing at the airport and successfulling making it to the hotel all by ourselves!