Wednesday, January 10, 2007

A Change of Heart & Good Mail

It was my day (again) to work in Whitney's classroom this morning and I must apologize for grumbling about it on Tuesday. I don't like obligations, but I'm pretty much always fine once I'm there. Today was a great day in kindergarten and I was happy to be there. I am so fond of all the kids in her class that I find myself wanting to hug them, but since that wouldn't be appropriate I resist the urge. Whitney's class is having a glue stick crisis so after talking to her teacher about bringing in more glue sticks she asked me if I would write a note to send home to the parents so to request more donations. She was so grateful that I would do that because she was overwhelmed by the problem of trying to get 4 on a page, then copying them and then cutting them out. This is not a big deal to me and is something I would have done already if I hadn't thought I was taking over her classroom. Ha.


Landon left me this "good mail" on my desk the other morning. He doesn't usually do things like this, whereas Whitney leaves me little notes with candy taped to them all the time. He had folded the note up so that the Butter Rum Lifesavers were hidden inside. What a cute kid. (I hadn't had Butter Rum Lifesavers in years, they're fantastic!)


I got this darling, awesome, cool, fantastic, clever, wonderful, and great New Year's Card from my cute friend Jennifer. It's stitched together with zig-zag stitches. I love it. Such a great design and idea.


I got this cute package of homemade goodies from Rebecca yesterday. She made these cool matchstick notebooks (why didn't I ever think of that) and included a sweet note. The note says that these little gifts are so that "every time you glance at these matchstick books to jot something down, you will think: I did something sweet, just because, and it mattered to someone." Rebecca has such a way with words, this hurt my heart a bit just like being part of her daughter's 1000 Bunny Christmas Wish did too.


Jenny sent me these treats yesterday along with a nice note (written on her cute Doodle Bugs Stationery) along with sparkly pencils, cute sticky notes (I can never get enough of these) and tic tacs (what are you trying to say?). I'm particularly giddy about the 2 bags of Vanilla Tootsie Rolls because they're oh so tasty and because they're hard to find plus I had literally eaten the last one in my stash just 3 days ago. Thanks Jenny!


I got this darling thank-you note from Dana today (along with her very cute New Year's Card) and must say it's fun seeing everyone's cute Doodle Bug stuff (her card and return address label). Thanks Dana!

I talked to Kristi today and just have to tell you all that she got totally overloaded with good mail on her birthday (thanks everyone!!) and I am so giddy about that. You're going to be amazed when you see all the photos of the boxes on her porch and of all the nice cards and presents. It does my heart good to know that she got all of that on her birthday. She's having a busy week with sick kids and is overwhelmed with documenting everything, but will post about it when she can get it all together (it's a big job).

In other news my hilarious, dry, sarcastic friend Sarah started a blog (hooray) and my friend Julie is part of a crop to raise money for epilepsy, check out the link here.

**Have you been party of a glue stick crisis?
Do your kids leave you good mail items?
Do you feel foolish after grumbling about something?**

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

My daughter leaves pictures and notes for me everywhere. I love it!
What fun mail you got.
I am sure W's teacher is so happy to have you!

Anonymous said...

Jill, you come up with the best questions! Nooe, I don't think I've ever been in a glue-stick crisis, but now I know who to call if ever I am in one :)

I love kid notes...especially when they have to raid the cupboards and leave crackers and chocolate chips with them.

Yup...just did that grumbling thing last night and then had grumblers remorse this morning.

michelle said...

Grumbler's remorse. I love it. That's a good one, Jane, and I have it all the time. It seems my first response is to complain and feel grumpy, and then I usually am just fine about it later on.

My kids hardly ever leave me good mail. I think it's so sweet!

Great mail you received. I still haven't gotten any of those vanilla tootsie rolls. I sure would love to know where Rebecca got those cool cool papers!

Anonymous said...

That good mail from Landon is so sweet! I love it when my girls leave me little notes, it just makes my day!

You got some seriously good, good mail today! How lucky!

Yes, I've had grumblers remorse. :) Doesn't everyone at some point?

melanie said...

Right now Kat's class is in a snack food crisis. So far, no glue crisis.

Kathryn usually colors me a picture for good mail. I love butter rum lifesavers so I would have considered that very good mail!

About a certain topic I can't blog about (who knows who's reading type thing) I have had grumblers remorse for over a week. Most other things I've been ok with but this one gets me every time and I wish I would just leave well enough alone.

I LOVE the vanilla tootsie rolls. My MIL has a bowl full and I can't keep my hands off of them. Yum! Fun Good Mail all around!

Anonymous said...

Grumblers remorse (love that phrase!) can be a constant battle - I'm not good with obligations either.

What great good mail -- love the note with candy from Landon! My Avery is a constant good mail giver. She writes little love notes all the time, and will hide them in a desk drawer, so we're always finding little things from her. I love it.

I don't know if I've ever been party to a glue stick crisis, but I do know that my first grader (Avery the good mailer) went through 18 glue sticks before Christmas. They have their own personal supplies. And, apparently they use a severe amount of glue in 1st grade. Good for you for helping Whitney's teacher. Whenever I go in to volunteer, I am amazed at the energy it must take to be their teachers!

Amie said...

Yes, yes, and yes.

Ensign has quite the glue stick crisis too. I even spent some time in the yellow pages calling and checking on prices.

Jessica, especially leaves sweet notes and gifts for us a lot.

I feel foolish most of the time.

Thanks for two posts in a day, I enjoy that.

Amie said...

That would be HAD not has....

Anonymous said...

My kids are really the best at writing thoughtful notes. I should take more note of them. I have a folder of them in my desk. It melts my heart.

I have been in a glue stick crisis actually. I ran out while scrapbooking once. There is nothing worse!

I am the worlds worst grumbler. Ask my husband. I have been really good at it the past 11 days, I hope I can keep it up!

p.s. I just thought the tic tacs were cute because it was a pink container. I found a store that carries those things all year. So just say the word and I can replentish you with some. :)

Anonymous said...

I meant at not grumbling. My sentence made no sense!

Anonymous said...

Alexis does always leave me good mail. It's very sweet.
We have been in a glue crisis at home. I buy the big packs at Costco and Alexis just went through the last stick. Man that girl likes to glue.

Anonymous said...

I have in my brain this perfect image of you hovering over an innocent and unknowing 5-yr-old, arms outstretched, then you *snatch* them back in before you actually touch the little creature. Over and over and over, until you finally catch Whitney (that one would be legal.)
Oh, I want to squeeze them, too!

Anonymous said...

**Have you been party of a glue stick crisis? um..not sure..the teacher will just send a quick note asking for donations and then she gets flooded...

Do your kids leave you good mail items? pictures, pictures and MORE pictures- we're killing a LOT of tree's over here...

Do you feel foolish after grumbling about something?** of course!

amy gretchen said...

Love the note from Landon. I so enjoy when they take the time to do something sweet for someone else.

Awesome mail. It's good to hear that Kristi was overloaded. Can't wait to see all her photos.

Anonymous said...

you are so good at seeing a need and diving in and taking care of it. way to go with the glue sticks. as my 2 year old hanna would say, "good job." she tells me this whenever i do anything she likes, which i find very amusing. sorry to get off topic...

love your mail. so fun! especially from your darling ones. christian draws me pictures which i find to be so sweet. your post made me think of giving my kids good mail though. i think they might like that.

Anonymous said...

Doesn't it make it all worth it when you get good mail from the one that doesn't usually show emotions. My oldest son is the one for me. He never told me he loved me until he went on his mission. When he came home off his mission, he bought me a very beautiful, very expensive painting. His version of good mail.

Anonymous said...

Never had a glue stick crisis before, but I'm waiting.

I like the term grumblers remorse. It so nicely identifies the issue.

Great mail, that just makes your day doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

I have had my own little glue stick crisis- usually at about 1am and in the middle of a project. I love that the overwhelming task of sending a note to parents was so easy for you.

Grumbler's remorse- so perfectly written to describe the feeling.

No good mail from Mya yet- but I have been trying to send little 'good mail' type things to Linc in his lunch and it is funny to see how stoked he is about them.

jenn said...

butter rum lifesavers are TOTALLY my favorite!! that IS good mail!

everything pink! said...

you do come up with the best questions.

kids doing good mail... look what you have started. i am coming out of my bloggin funk... thanks for pulling me out.

Amy said...

How cute that Landon left you a little treat! He definitely knows how to show you he loves you! Did you do anything to deserve such an outpouring? Or does he just think you're the greatest mom ever?

Doodle Bugs said...

I have not had butter rum lifesavers in years.. forgot all about them!!

I loved seeing Dana's and jenny's cards!! Thank you :o)