Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Fat Girls Should NOT Play Twister

I don't know what came over me, but tonight I actually suggested (that's right, I suggested) that the kids and I play some games before bed. This is EXTREMELY rare for me because I'm usually ready for them to be in bed and out of my sight by 5:30 but have to make it through 2 more hours of nonstop chatter, singing and questions until their 7:30 bedtime. For some reason this was not the case tonight. Perhaps it's because they actually played at the neighbor's house (unprecedented) for a couple hours instead of having the neighbor kid here for a change. That means my house was quiet all that time and I was able to get some good mail packaged and sent without any distractions. It was heavenly.


So at 6:45 tonight I offered to play games with them once they'd cleaned everything up for the night. This was directed at Whitney since she had toy set-ups in 3 different locations, but they were both so motivated to clean that Landon happily helped Whitney focus and get things done. (I may have to use this tactic more often, even if it means playing 4 games of Uno.) So we played Twister for the first time since getting it for Christmas.


I was happy to call out the directions from my cozy seat on the couch, but of course they wanted me to play too. Whitney took a turn calling out instructions while Landon and I contorted our bodies on the mat. I use the term contorted lightly here because it turns out that even keeping my hands on 2 different circles and having to move my leg to another color was something of a workout for me. (I couldn't help but laugh as I thought of Michelle trying to explain to me how fat girls can't do Pilates either. Maybe we should do a series.) Poor Landon had an upclose view of my buttocks right in his face. I just couldn't decide if it was more damaging to refuse to participate in the game or to have my butt in his face. Poor kid, he's going to be in therapy for this I just know it.


Fortunately they tired of this game after about 6 rounds (2 of them with me on the mat) so we switched to Spin Uno (also from Christmas) instead. That game seemed highly enjoyable (and nontaxing) after Twister, so it was a nice cool down before bedtime. Ha. Landon showed no signs of scarring just yet, but if he wakes up with nightmares I'll know why.

**When was the last time you played Twister?
Do you play games with your kids (or nieces and nephews)?
Do you think I should line up a therapist now?**


29 comments:

Laurie said...

You're funny. I don't think you need to worry about traumatizing Landon though!

It sure is a workout though! All that blood rushing to your head is not fun - you were a good sport. I won the 50th annivesary version at a party, but we've not played it. It's been years....

Anonymous said...

You are so brave. I have never played Twister, and I don't think I ever want to. No matter who is playing you and they are going to be exposed to areas that are not pretty to look at.

You get the good Mom award... oh and I think you can consider that your exercise for the day. Two points.

Anonymous said...

Ha. Ha ha ha. You kill me. Yes, I love twister, but would never play it with anyone over 9 years of age. We are in a yahtzee and go fish rut here. I should break out the twister!

melanie said...

I can't even remember the last time I played Twister! So funny, I do the same thing, I bribe my kids with a game or books at night just to get closer to bedtime. Why does the clock not move after 530? I wish it would since I am not very nice then.

I want a couple hours distraction free. Sadly I think I'm a few more years off from that.

Anonymous said...

You are seriously one of the funniest people I know, I was laughing out loud at the thought, I can't see pictures at work for some reason. It sounds like you had fun and laughs and good for you for joining in the fun. That's what your kids will remember, that you played with them and got on the floor and allowed yourself to be silly.

I haven't played since I was in college. I play games with the nieces and nephews when I see them

Anonymous said...

I still remember my mom playing games like this with us- your kids will look back fondly on the memory. I don't think I could play that game anymore without getting a headache from the blood rushing up there.

I haven't played Twister since high school and even then I usually tried to be the caller out-er. I play games with Mya, but not like Linc or her Grandma Jo does. I figure they have her more than covered so I am not going to worry.

Anonymous said...

Everyone should have Twister, huh!?

All our kids care about is that mom & dad are actually down on the floor playing with them, right?!It's great! You are TOO much!funny.

We have been playing Apples to Apples a lot around here.FUN! -ciao

Anonymous said...

How funny Jill! Good for you.

Anonymous said...

Oh what a sight that would be! I'm right there with you. I played Twister a few weeks ago with my 11 year old and my 4 year old. I am not coordinated at all!! I couldn't figure out how to get my feet to move past my hands. Funny! Good for you to have the courage to even suggest it!

Anonymous said...

Twister! how fun

Anonymous said...

I am BUSTING A GUT at this post! Even Sawyer called it to me and asked" It's Cute?" He must have thought I was reading something very cute! LOLOLOL!!!

I cannot stop laughing at the visuals this post has got goin' in my head. You are one brave Chica to take Twister on with your kidlets! ROFL!
WTG :)

Julie said...

I love games and try to play with Mattie, he's starting to understand games now (he's almost 5). So hopefully we will have some of these fun times. Good for you!

becca said...

I haven' played twister in longer than I can remember!!! You are a great mom for doing that and I don't think you left any permanant damage :)! What a great memory for your kids!

Anonymous said...

You're hilarious! Your kids won't remember the awkward positions, they will just remember the fun they had with their mom.

Good job at being the fun mom!

michelle said...

No way. I haven't played Twister since junior high, and I'm not going back. What even possessed you to buy them that game?!

I play games with the kids, but I stick to Boggle, cards, Catan, and other board games. I'm too fat for Twister.

Anonymous said...

You are funny! I am impressed that the motivation to play Twister was enough to make your kids help each other clean up! I haven't played Twister since I can't remember when, and I am quite sure I am not coordinated or flexible enough to take part these days! My girls like to play Cranium Hullaballoo, which is semi-Twister like without the contortions. That works for me!

Anonymous said...

THAT was very funny. You crack me up.

Melinda said...

O.k. I am laughing so hard through this whole post. That is so funny!I think my kids would just tell me that my butt what in their face. So funny.

Thankfully my kids are into Scene It games right now. We got a few of them for Christmas.

Anonymous said...

You make me laugh. We have that game, but I haven't ever played it because I am not quite fond of it. I once played it when I was nine months pregnant--it was disastrious!

Anonymous said...

**When was the last time you played Twister? i dont even remember..im thinking pre kid years???

Do you play games with your kids (or nieces and nephews)? i try to..i could REALLY be so much better at this though!

Do you think I should line up a therapist now?**yes, i actually have a therapy account already set up and donate regularily to it when i do something that i think is going to cause them damage...heheh

Anonymous said...

Twister!! The last time I played this was probably at BYU during Freshman Orientation, with that huge ginormous mat they have! I'm sure that Landon will be fine, no scarring, and no therapy needed over twister!
Playing games with your kids is great, I'm sure it will build good memories for them.

Anonymous said...

Good times. Good times.
I think I played Twister once for about 5 seconds and thought "this game is popular?" I'm a board game girl. Alexis loves to play Dominoes, Go Fish, Crazy 8s, and any card game she knows. I can't wait until she's old enough to play Clue.

I think as long as you are laughing about the incident now Landon should be ok, but do keep an eye on those nightmares. I dreamt a lamb was trying to ram it's way into my house last night. Maybe I'm the one who needs therapy! (and yes I know what it meant; I posted about it).

Amie said...

Oh - I was hoping there would be a picture of you on the mat!

We got in cycles with games, like everything else.

Anonymous said...

Good for you!!! 5 is usually when I'm ready for the kids day to be over too.
I loved that you played twister it brings a smile to my face just thinking about you and the kids playing it together. The last time I played twister was when Lou and I were newlyweds... so it was a very fun experience :)
I love playing games with Kira, even though we can't really follow the rules cause she's 2. Josh is still young for games.

amy gretchen said...

I haven't played twister in years. I should get that for the girls because they really enjoy playing it. We play a lot of candyland, playdoh, and chutes & ladders around here. It's hard to find something we can all do so we keep it simple.

Anonymous said...

I did the same thing once. But not realizing how bad Twister was I invited the neighbor kids to join and we set it up on the front lawn! I only looked at the red circle down by my feet before I realized I was just the spinner not the player. You are a very good sport!

Along those same lines don't try the slip and slide in front of the neighbors either!

Angie said...

I haven't played twister in a long time. I have thought about buyin git for my girls but then they would insist I participate and I don't know if I can do it.

You are such a great mom for playing it with your kids. Usually all I do is play Uno or Go Fish.

everything pink! said...

twister... long time.

i need to play more games with the kids before bed, but since we put our kids to bed so early that would be shocked!

Amy said...

At least your kids aren't old enough, or mean enough, to laugh at you. Now that would be disheartening! You crack me up, though. I'm glad you enjoyed Uno Spin. We got that for Christmas, too, but haven't played it yet. May be I can get Jeremy to play it with me.