Monday, January 08, 2007

Happy Birthday Kristi!!

Today is Kristi's 36th birthday. On her blog she has posted 136 things about herself (very interesting and entertaining) but on my blog I'd like to tell you how knowing Kristi has affected me.


--We met in the dorms at BYU in the fall of 1989. She had more energy and spunk than anyone I'd ever met before. She was highly entertaining and always made things more fun.
--Kristi and I wrote letters over the summer after our freshman year.
--She lived across the street from me and Michelle (we were roommates) during our 2nd year at BYU.
--I got to go to Sundance Summer Theater multiple times with her while her mom was in town visiting (Thanks Ruth!).


--Kristi and I were Youth Camp Leaders together the summer before our 2nd year at BYU. (Her experience was much better than mine.)
--I went to Kristi's mission farewell.
--Kristi came to see me when she got home from her mission (right before I was getting married).


--I went to Kristi's wedding reception (which was amazing).
--We lost touch for a couple years.


--Randy and I ran into Jeff & Kristi at Big O Tires in Orem and rekindled our friendship.
--Kristi got me to be social again by inviting us over to play Speed Uno with some friends of theirs. (This was rather huge because I became quite a hermit after getting married, I think I was having a quarter-life crisis of sorts and didn't know where I fit in anymore.)


--I ended up becoming more fun because of Kristi's infectious enthusiasm and joie de vivre.


--Kristi helped me pull off a HUGE surprise party for Randy's 27th birthday.


--Kristi introduced me to scrapbooking and got me addicted on the very first day. We went to Pebbles in My Pocket (the scrapbook store) 3 times that first day (and I had been very reluctant to start).


--I got into photography because Kristi let me use one of their extra cameras for many months. This opened my eyes to the possibilities and inspired me enough to ask for a nice SLR for my BYU graduation (which I ended up getting from Randy's parents).
--Jeff & Kristi came to my BYU graduation and even hosted my huge graduation party at their house in Orem!


--I was always so jealous of all the awesome wedding pictures and cute photos around Kristi's house because she was so photogenic and happy in all the pictures, but then one day while looking at them I realized that I could be that way too. Up until that point I always felt "fake" when smiling in pictures so I often ended up looking constipated instead. Nice. This was a life-altering realization for me and definitely shows in later pictures of me. Thanks for this Kristi!


--After Jeff & Kristi moved to New Orleans we lost touch except for sending Christmas cards over the years. We got together a couple times when they visited Utah, but we really didn't have much contact until Kristi called me last January after receiving our Christmas card. She totally rekindled our friendship and drastically changed my life through her blog and all the friends I've met through her.
--I'm continually amazed by Kristi's high energy level, never-ending supply of brilliant ideas, and her ability to make things happen.
--She is not afraid to try new things or put herself "out there" even though people seem to feel comfortable criticizing her. I think this is very brave of her and admire how resilient she is.

Happy Birthday Kristi!!

**How has knowing Kristi impacted your life?
What qualities do you admire in her?**

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't ever met Kristi but I really want to. I admire her ability to be thoughtful to people and she seems to be a creative genious.

becca said...

I had no idea you and Kristi were that good of friends...wow! I have never met Kristi but am completely blown away by her energy and her ability to do so many wonderful things. The fact that she takes her kids so many places just amazes me!!

Kristi, you are amazing!!!

Happy Birthday!!

Kristen said...

I didn't know that you have been friends for so long?! I loved going down memory lane with you.
I am blown away every time I visit her blog (and yours too)! You both are amazing!

Happy Birthday Kristi!!!

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh Jill reading your comments about how Kristi changed your life because it was in such similar ways that she has changed mine. I am hermit by nature as well and she helped me see the value of friendship. She is always thinking of others and what she can do. She builds people up by making them believe in themselves which is an amazing Christ-like quality. She is truly the most creative person I have ever met and in my line of work I know quite a few. She has energy and enthusiasm like no one I know. She really listens to people and remembers what they say. She doen't pretend to be perfect which is so refreshing as the rest of us use all our energy up to appear so. Some get offended by her because she makes EVERYONE feel like they are her best friend and when people find out they are one of MANY of her friends they get jealous and give her a hard time. So unjust. She inspires me everyday and through blogging she inspires many more! Thanks for showing the old photos. So fun.

Happy Birthday Kristi!

melanie said...

What a great post for a great friend! I'm lovin' all the old pictures! I am like everyone else, I am amazed at Kristi's kindness and her ability to make others feel important and part of the group.

Have a wonderful day Kristi!

michelle said...

Gosh, even I didn't know all of this! I knew you guys used to hang out with Kristi & Jeff and that you scrapbooked together, but I had no idea she was responsible for getting you interested in photography! I'm impressed that you changed your way of being photographed as a result of Kristi's influence.

Kristi is such an incredible person. I too felt like she was the most energetic and fun person I'd ever met when we first met in the dorms. She made my freshman year much more fun by being my roommate. I'm so glad she could come to my wedding (my only friend who was endowed), and I'll never forget when you two called me when Max was a baby and rekindled our friendship.

I am constantly amazed by Kristi's wealth of talent and great ideas, and I'm so glad she's willing to share them with anyone who is interested.

I'm also completely in awe of her ability to make new friends and make the best of any situation. It's hard to remember now how sad she was to leave Tennessee because she already has a whole network in place and is enjoying her new home to the fullest. She's such a fun mom and a very thoughtful friend.

You're amazing, Kristi! Happy birthday!

Liz said...

I loved reading about how your friendship with Kristi started and flourished through the years. I met Kristi when we moved to New Orleans in 1999. She was so friendly and really made me feel welcome. I remember she invited me to go to the movies with a few other girls from the ward, and it was just so nice to feel included and welcome. She is such a fun, talented, and energetic person! I'm so glad that I she has a blog so that we can all benefit from her creative genious and her overwhelming generosity and love for others!

Happy Birthday Kristi!!!

Anonymous said...

When we moved to New Orleans, Kristi was the first to invite us for dinner. Soon after, she and Jeff and baby AK walked over to our house with some pesticide because she heard that our new place had ants. I rememebr thinking... who is this girl? She doesn't even know us! So nice.

Anonymous said...

This was such a fun visit through your memories of Kristi. Like many, I have not met Kristi in person. I admire her friendly and welcoming ways. I admire her energy. I admire how talented she is. I love how generous she is with her ideas and inspiration. I admire that she seems to have a plan for experiences she wants her family to have, and she makes those things happen -- she doesn't seem to sit and wait for life to happen to her. I think she's great, and I would love to meet her in person someday. And, I can't imagine how anyone could feel comfortable being critical of her when she seems so very supportive and positive about everyone around her. That doesn't make sense to me. I hope she has a wonderful birthday!

Anonymous said...

What an appreciative and wonderful post, Jill. I loved reading the little things that you appreciated about Kristi--her finding the galvanized tub for the party, teaching you to smile in your pictures (what a classic line), her sharing photography and scrapbooking know-how with you. What a tribute to both of you for a wonderful friendship.

I "met" Kristi through her blog and all I can say is WOW, WOW, WOW. She has inspired me to not hold back--"if you've got an idea, share it, that's what you got it for". I also admire how photogenic she is and her never-ending source of ideas. I admire her ability to include everyone and make them feel special. If she ever has health problems, I'll bet it's due to an enlarged heart :) she is so giving and accepting.

Happy Birthday to Kristi...and thanks to Jill for making her day a celebration for us all to enjoy.

Anonymous said...

I love seeing the way she makes her girls childhood so special. And how she reaches out to so many people.

amy gretchen said...

I knew she introduced you to scrapbooking, but had no idea she was your inspiration for photography.

I have always been amazed by Kristi's enthusiasm and love for life. It's very contagious. She is very genuine and I love that about her. How can I forget a creative genius! She amazes me with her constant ideas. Those of you who know her on a personal level are very lucky indeed.

Happy Birthday Kristi!

stefanie said...

Great post, Jill! Kinda scary, but we must have many of the same thoughts/ideas. I posted a list of things I like about Kristi on my blog this morning. You should check it out!

Tasha said...

Kristi helped us look for a place to live, and had us over for breafast when we visited NOLA before we moved there. She is so generous by nature. Kristi is a great mom. I love seeing someone so in love with being a mother.

Love you kbc!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet post and a nice trip down memory lane. I loved all the pictures. What fun. She seems to bring out the best in everyone. I can't wait to meet her in July. I too am in awe of her talents and abilities and when I grow up I want to have more of her qualities.

Happy Birthday Kristi!

Anonymous said...

We met the Cutler's via phone. Her name was on a BYU contact board when we got into Tulane. She found us our place to live. It was so great, and I was thankful I didn't have to move for 4 years. Many found places that were temporary, and had to move. We loved our duplex. We signed our contract, keys were in the mailbox when we drove up to Carrollton Ave. That was 9 years ago! They were even nice enough to let us bunk up at their house the first night living in New Orleans.

Such a nice tribute. Happy Birthday Kristi.

Anonymous said...

I love this post - connecting the dots! I don't know Kristi but have found her blog through a friend of a friend. I was always drawn to her site because of her creative ideas and her willingness to share. I loved her positive outlook on life and planning adventures for her family. Not waiting until they are older to just pack up and go! I hope there is a reunion in Utah this summer as I would so love to come and meet some of these amazing people! HAPPY BIRTHDAY Kristi!

Laurie said...

I have never met Kristi but she's more impactful than a lot of people I know because of her energy and her joy about life. It's quite inspiring, actually. It shows me the possibilities of finding more joy in my life. That's huge.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Kristi's impact is amazing! I found your blog through hers and through Katie. So that is quite an impact!

Side note, I am in a big moving mess here and no time to log into blogger so I'm just posting quickly hence no picture!

Anonymous said...

When I found out we were moving to New Orleans- I was devistated. I thought "How do you raise a family on Bourbon St?". Someone that I knew had Kristi call me. I can't tell you how that one phone call completly changed my attitude and shaped the way I viewed the city and our move. Talking to her on the phone you would have thought I won the lottery. She was so excited and happy, I couldn't wait to get there.

Once there, her creative energy was contagious and before I knew it, I was a sewer and quilter and loving it.

Melinda said...

What a great post! I loved learning how you met and how your relationship has grown. Even though I have never met Kristi she has inspired me to do more for my family ie traditions, being more spontanious, and finding more joy in my kids. I love all that she does for her family and I think she is absolutly brilliant when it comes to creativity and bringing it to life. I wish my pinky finger had as much creativity and talent as she has.

Happy Birthday Kristi!!

Anonymous said...

Kristi found me a place to live, helped me get a job and introduced us to New Orleans. Her love for it was evident, and yes, contagious.

everything pink! said...

I guess I am the last to post. finally getting back to blogging thanks for your kind words and bringing out all the photos.
thanks!

Anonymous said...

You are an amazing friend!

I made some incredible friends at BYU as well!

Bevan said...

Kristi sent me a ton of letters in the MTC... except the return label didn't have her name on it. Instead it said Jennifer Anniston or some other name. In the MTC the district leader is in charge of picking up all the mail for the district. And Kristi knew this. One day I catually got 4 of the same letters - in the same day - and the district leader and his companion acually got upset and said, "Elder Buchanan, how many freaking girlfriends did you have?" I just grabbed the letters and said, "more than you"