Friday, May 25, 2007

Generosity, Victory & Disappointment

Yesterday was a rough, PMS-filled day for me. I think the combination of the PMS and negotiating my way out of working out yesterday (in the name of sleep) was foolish and a recipe for disaster. I felt groggy and irritable all day. I'm finally figuring out that I feel better with 6 hours of sleep and a workout than I do with 8 hours of sleep and no workout. Ideally I'd have 8 hours of sleep AND a workout, but let's not get crazy that means I'd have to be in bed by 10:00pm.

Anyway, I was trudging through my afternoon when I got a mysterious package in the mail. The return address was for a ribbon company in Illinois. I was intrigued and excited. Imagine my surprise when I opened it up and saw all these beautiful spools of ribbon, in the same colors I had just discovered I was lacking after last week's ribbon organizing fest with Jessica.

Heather S. must have gotten online immediately after reading my Friday post. What a generous and thoughtful thing to do. Thank you Heather!!

I got this beautiful post card from Michelle today. No, it didn't hurt or make me long to be in Paris with her at all. (Note sarcasm here.) Thanks Michelle, keep them coming okay?

Last week Tasha sent me this amusing and thoughtful good mail package. In her note she referred to it as "Dorky Mail" rather than good mail, but I beg to differ. These are maxi-pad type things that stick on the forehead when a migraine is coming on. I've never seen these before, but I will definitely try them out next time I get one. Thanks for thinking of me Tasha!

Lisa sent me this nice note full of kind words. It's always a relief to hear from someone after meeting them for the first time, it's reassuring to know it wasn't a total let down meeting me. (The return address got smeared when the kids got the envelope wet @$!&%.

Chanel sent me this nice thank you note for the good mail I had recently sent her.

Last night was the Pinewood Derby for Pack Meeting (why do I dread Pack Meeting so much?). Landon decided to spike his hair for the night (yikes!) but he won the overall derby!

Here is a blurry (in a good way) shot of his car getting first place (the flames Randy painted look cool). It was surprisingly exciting to watch his car win.

They had a high-tech system with timed finishes and a screen with the boys' names and times on it. It was impressive considering how scouts usually goes, though they did start like 20 minutes late!

Whitney wanted to get in on the action so Randy had gotten her a car while I was in Paris. He didn't put weights on the bottom of her car, so it wasn't a speedy thing and didn't even make it across the finish line one of the two times she got to race it (after the official races were over). She cried, but was quickly consoled when the cookie table was revealed. (Go figure!)

I had to leave the Pinewood Derby after the first 3 races so that I could meet up with Jenn and company to see Pirates of the Caribbean 3 up in Sandy at Jordan Commons theater. I was pretty excited to see the movie on opening night, but was a little bummed that Randy couldn't go with me (or Lori or Adam) so I just met up with Jenn, her husband and her siblings. I ended up being pretty disappointed in the movie because it was soooo long (2 hours 48 minutes) and had too many battles and special effects and not enough story line or Jack Sparrow goodness. It was still fun to see and I'm thankful that Jenn shared one of her prized tickets with me.

**What do you think??**

17 comments:

Diana said...

I'm not a pirates fan I have fallen asleep through the first 2 movies so I'll wait to watch the 3rd at home but you definetly can't get enough of Jack Sparrow.
Congrats to Landon for winning it all that's so impressive. I'm happy that Whitney participated, I imagine when she cried Landon thinking "There's no crying at the Pinewood Derby" (you know like a league of their own)
I Hope you're in a better mood today.

Holly said...

I agree that my day goes a lot better if I can get my workout in first. I've been a bit cranky because I started sleeping in lately...until today. Better day all around. I hope you are able to get back on track soon!
The Pinewood Derby sure sounds fun, and congrats to Landon. I'm with Whitney, a cookie can be quite cheering.

Marie said...

Days where I work out I seem to be more productive and happier. On the days I don't work out, I think that whatever it was I used the time for instead will be worth it, but it never is.
I am seeing Pirates tonight for date night with my hubby. We are looking forward to it!

Melinda said...

I have to say that I LOVE Landons hair spiked! So cute. My boys wear there hair the same way.

Oh... I am so bummed you were bummbed about pirates. I really want to go and see it. We are hoping for this weekend but may have to wait till next weekend.

I love all of the ribbon you got. I love yellow. THe cars were all really cute also.

I need to get back into the swing of working out. We have a curves about a block away I have thought about joining to split up the running on the treadmill. I do feel so much better when I exercise.

Elizabeth said...

I love that post card. That would be cool as a framed collage of photos. The tower at different times of day.
I am babysitting for some friends tonight who are going to see Pirates, so I was a little disconcerted to hear it was almost 3 hours. It is going to be a long night.
Have a good weekend!

becca said...

I think Landon looks very cute with his hair spiked!! I love his car also, great paint job!! I know I would feel better all day if I could just get up early to excersise...I just love to sleep. I still do my excersing in the afternoons and I cannot believe how much better I feel after...like an energy burst. I need that first thing! Love the good mail (espl. the ribbon!)

Christina said...

seriously..why cant i get 8 hours AND a workout in too..darn.. oh well..

too funny about the cookie table making her feel better! she's such a girl huh! boys-we'd be hearing about it for DAYS!!

enjoyed the maxipad on forehead image! hahha

Crystalyn said...

lovely good mail! bummer about pirates. i always love the first movies in sequels and i must say the trailer frightened me a bit...grey middle of the ocean storms...oh boy! i'll have to watch with little expectations.

love your first paragraph...it's so true that the workout thing makes us feel so much better. why do i fight it so?

carlo said...

PMS + no workout = disaster is right. do you find that your PMS has gotten better with your workout schedule? combined with increasing my calcium intake the week of PMS hitting, i think my PMS has gotten better.

Landon is such a doll! love the proud look on his face.

michelle said...

I seem to have brighter days when I get about 6 hours of sleep. When I sleep to much, I feel groggy all day. I haven't seen Pirates yet. I did hear that it wasn't near as good as the last one was. It will be hard for me to sit still for almost 3 hours!!! It looks like the pinewood derby was a hit! Cute pictures.

Lauralee said...

love that ribbon! way cute! that is neat that Landon won! and cute that Whitney did one too!
thanks for the insight on pirates.. it was hard for me to watch the 2nd one.. a little too gross and dark- but my husband wants to go see this new one- we'll see!

michelle said...

Landon's car is very cool! I can't believe they had winners. When we have had Pinewood Derbys they wouldn't announce any winners, to try to discourage the competition (I've found the parents are worse about it than the boys, though...). too funny about Whitney -- classic.

I about fell out of my chair when you said you feel better when you get less sleep and work out in the morning. I guess I never thought I'd hear you say those words. I feel that way, too, but it's so hard to remember when I'm in the cozy!

I'm a little bummed to hear that Pirates was disappointing -- I'm planning to take Max one of these nights soon, and I don't want to hear that there's not enough of Captain Jack!

Amanda :-) said...

Landon looks lushy with his hair spiked up. Ooh dear, is he growing up? *sigh*

What a cracking time he made, too. Lovely that you photographed the scoreboard.

Oh, I don't know anything about Pirates. I couldn't stand Depp's accent in the first one. I bought 'Quiz Show' on DVD from Amazon the other week and watched it last night. I've seen it a trillion times, but I love it.

(and Ralph Fiennes is a bit lovely too! *blush*)

Barb said...

I've decided I like my 'time of the month' because it means PMS is over. It's such a relief!

Landon looks great at the derby - gotta love a man in uniform. I need to get one last picture of my boy as a cub scout before he moves on. He's getting too old and cool for cubs, it seems, and won't be too excited to put on his uniform just for a photo. I'm going to have to be sneaky.

everything pink! said...

i love the good mail. i am so behind on posting mine! i always think about it at night and i can't get good photos on the tree at night.

he won!! oh my that is great. congrats. that is some high tech racing with the digital board and such.

no pinewood in this family...

feel better ...

jenny said...

I am so glad you got some good mail!
My sister said that EXACT same thing about Pirates. She said the fighting wore on too long.

Very cool pine wood derby and great photos! I actually like the spikey hair (I do that to Jared's) :)

Amy said...

Congratulations to Landon on his win! So cool. That yellow ribbon haul that you received is so, so pleasing! And Pirates. . .I heard Jeffrey Rush say on The View (or something) that the movies were a trilogy. I fail to see it. They're sequels. I was somewhat disappointed. The story was somewhat weak, too many lose ends and threads that were simply dropped. And it didn't really make sense, when considered with the first one. I would have liked it if it had been a heros journey--something like Star Wars or The Lord of the Rings. And, why, oh why, did it have to be three hours long?