
So last night I was reading and was struck by these verses.
"And now remember, remember, my brethren, that whosoever perisheth, perisheth unto himself; and whosoever doeth iniquity, doeth it unto himself; for behold, ye are free; ye are permitted to act for yourselves; for behold, God hath given unto you a knowledge and he hath made you free.
He hath given unto you that ye might know good from evil, and he hath given unto you that ye might choose life or death; and ye can do good and be restored unto that which is good, or have that which is good restored unto you; or ye can do evil, and have that which is evil restored unto you."
--Helaman 14:30-31
He hath given unto you that ye might know good from evil, and he hath given unto you that ye might choose life or death; and ye can do good and be restored unto that which is good, or have that which is good restored unto you; or ye can do evil, and have that which is evil restored unto you."
--Helaman 14:30-31
I suppose these struck me because they're part of a repeated epiphany for me about life choices. Ultimately I choose how I see things, how I live my life, how I respond to things other people do (or don't do), so in the end there aren't ANY excuses. (Frightening.) It's so much easier to blame other people or circumstances for causing the way I feel, but ultimately that's crap. I have to choose to rise up and be a better wife, mother, daughter, friend, etc., and stop keeping score or feeling wronged by other people. It's like I'm choosing to carry a heavy backpack when I'd so rather have my hands free. It's such a simple concept, but so hard to implement and master.
**What do you think?**
16 comments:
This is beautiful, Jill! It's an epiphany worth having again and again. Definitely a hard concept to master, but ultimately a comforting one to me. I am the master of my destiny! No matter what the other people in my life may do, I can still choose. I can design a life I love. I am determined to do it.
(Love the photo of your scriptures!)
First of all way to go on keeping such a good goal. That is really awesome!
I think that is why we are told not to read the Book of Mormon once in our lives but over and over again. The beauty of scriptures is the different epiphanies we get each time we read them.
I love that we have a choice no matter what and we choose our own destinies.
I like how you say highlighting passages are messages to your future self. True, I just never literally thought of it like that. I SO admire you for being able to keep your goal since the 1st of the year. Wow! The kids and I read the Bible daily during Lent and they were better about it than I was. I think next time I need to implement my goal differently and not save it for bedtime, maybe do it to start the day. I am pooped at the end of the day.
BTW, your comment on my blog had me laughing - give yourself some credit! I had to leave you a reply.
Great scripture Jill! I think it is great that you have kept your goal!
I really like what you said. It is really up to us to make the best life and to choose not to sin. THe great thing about rereading the scriptures is all the neat things we learn and relearn each time. SOmething new everytime!
Jill, thank you so much for your thoughts today. I love your Sunday Thoughts. I am going to steal the idea for myself. I really needed that reminder about how we are in control of our lives. Thank you for all the insights and thoughts you have provoked in me for the last two months that I have been blogging. Luckily I know julie and mindy who know Kristi who knows you! Blogging is great!
What a great message!! Our stake conference today was totally focused on reading the Book of Mormon..how it will completely change the feel of our homes and bring blessing and understanding to our families, if we just read.
It is just so amazing how a scripture we have read a hundred times can still jump out and give us such insight. I love your thoughts, something I can always work on...choices...choosing to be better, to be kinder, to be more understanding. Thank you...great thoughts!!
The fact that Heavenly Father loves us enough to give us choices for ourselves speaks volumes to me. Thanks for the great reminder.
for me i felt alot of the same way..i tended to put more emphasis on gospel principles..if im commiting sin im imprisioning myself in countless ways..if im choosing the right based on the knowledge i have..i live a free'er life..
if that made any sense?!?!
Oh, I am so tired I can't think. BUT I enjoyed reading and thinking I need to add a few more things to my list of things to do. I am very impressed that you haven't missed a day in your reading.
Oh, I'm not doing so well with the daily scripture reading right now! I'll try and use this post for inspiration/motivation.
Good words...we are responsible for our choices, but we aren't alone. The Savior is with us every step of the way.
You've inspired me to do better with my own scripture reading goal. Thanks and way to go!
Good job on keeping your goal. That is wonderful determination and you should be proud of yourself.
Agency is a double edged sword isn't it? If we could have our agency and no accountibility life would be so easy, but we would learn nothing, make no progress, and I believe we wouldn't really be happy. Choices are wonderful and central to the Great Plan of Happiness. Such a good epiphany. Thanks for sharing.
remember that cd you sent me last year with that song, "Waiting for my real life to begin"
it has seemed to be the theme of my year along with "stretching" myslef.
i feel like this year has been the year to kick some bad habits or start good ones and stop waiting around for good things to happen to me.
i like was michelle said about "worth having again and again" just because I may learn it this year does not mean i won't have to learn it again and again.
great thoughts
hope you are feeling better.
I love how the scriptures can be epiphanies time and time again for whatever you may need at that moment. Good for you on the daily goal. I need to do better.
These thoughts go right along with the lesson I taught in YW (It's so cool how that works out).
It's a terrifying concept to think that whatever our judgment ultimately we are the ones who decide our fate. With that said I am so grateful for our free agency that we can come to this life to learn and to grow from our choices. Such a gift.
Post a Comment