Monday, August 20, 2007

Refreshing Respite

Rather than do a detailed recap of our mini-break, I will do a lovely bullet-point of highlights instead.

  • We finally left at 2:00pm on Thursday after a long morning of soccer practice (I'm assistant coach and played in flip-flops!), blogging, house cleaning and packing. Sheesh.


  • It was only an hour drive to get there. (We're not sure how we survived the 6 hour drive to Las Vegas and then another 6 hour drive to California last fall. We're driving wusses.)
  • It was raining when we got to Park City, thus crushing the kids' hopes of swimming.


  • We did some major back-to-school shopping at the outlet mall and finished the job by visiting 3 stores! (Old Navy, Children's Place, and Bass) Landon acted as the "clothes statue" as we shopped and he held the stuff we were getting for Whitney, too funny.
  • We ate subpar pizza for dinner, but tasty chocolate dessert, then went back to the hotel to swim (the weather had cleared up).


  • We got treats from Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory for dessert and loved them. Whitney pressed her face to the window of the store and said, "This is my dream!"
  • We watched Animal Planet in bed and I read my magazine from Stefanie and then Sarah's Quilt.


  • Both kids would flop down on the bed and say, "Ahh, this is the life."
  • Randy snored so badly that night that I tossed and turned (@#$%!), I couldn't keep my earplugs in my ears for some reason. (I got a lot of reading done though.)
  • We got McDonald's for breakfast ($23!!) and then drove an hour and a half to Logan where I dropped Randy and the kids off at a friend's house and then went to Tasha's house.


  • Tasha, Stella, Evie (and later Dave) had Cafe Rio lunch together at their house, then I got the tour (beautiful), chatted with Tasha, took pictures of Stella then went back to get Randy and the kids.


  • It poured rain on the highway and caused massive slowing (plus it was Friday afternoon rush hour) so it took 2.5 hours to get back to Park City (ugh!!).
  • We went swimming at the hotel again even though it was overcast and breezy. We ended up having the pool to ourselves and sat in the hot tub while it rained (pretty cool). Our kids officially know how to swim and were able to negotiate the deep end without assistance, phew!


  • Our fun day of outdoor activities got rained out (what in the world, they're having a severe drought so what's up with this timing?) so we drove back to American Fork and went to the movies to see Stardust (fabulous, but not for little kids).
  • We returned home and it was unpacking and laundry for me, computer work for Randy, and neighbor-kids to play with for the kids. Can you say burst bubble?
So there you have it. It was enjoyable, memorable and not too hot. I suppose I'm happier about the overcast weather and rain than I would have been if it had been beasty hot. We're going to drive up on a Saturday to do the things we missed this time (aerial show at the Olympic park and chairlift ride.) Click here for the rest of the photos.

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun get-away despite the overcast weather. It's always funny to me that the thing that seems to make a "fun" vacation for kids is to swim--nevermind that you've been going to 7 Peaks all summer long. At least, that's how my kids are. My youngest two kids are also Driving Wusses and it drives me crazy!

Condolences on the laundry. It's a never-ending plague.

Anonymous said...

The 'clothes statue' and "this is my dream" cracks me up. That is so totally my 2 kids too!
I had the worst sleep on our last hotel stay! I hate that cuz there's no where to go -like walk around the house at night -go sleep in another bed, etc. But the littles love hotel life. They get all set up, order room service, order family type movie, and if there's robes, of course they gotta wear those.HA! So lucky you can go back for a day excursion and
play more ;)ciao

Anonymous said...

I always remember the swimming from family vacations- no matter where we went. I am surprised the stores up at the outlets weren't crazy busy with back to school shoppers. Maybe you missed the crowds by going this close to school- I'll have to remember that.

Yeah for hanging out with Tasha!

The laundry after vacations, no matter how short or long, always seems like such a kick in the pants.

Amie said...

Sorry it wasn't more fabulous. It still sounds like a good getaway. I think a day trip is a good idea. We had fun at Olympic Park but I hate chair lifts.

I don't even know what Stardust is? Did you take your kids?

I'm impressed you were able to plan and execute a trip before school. I don't know where the days are going!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Landon as the clothes statue is funny...was he bribed or devoted? :)

michelle said...

I am also impressed that you managed to squeeze in a trip before school starting. I dropped off Max this morning and just cannot believe school has started!

I would much rather have rain than heat, but too bad your outdoor activities had to be postponed. I am loving the photo of Whitney looking in the window and saying "this is my dream!". I guess it's my dream too, I joke about her being the treat monger, but really she's just a girl after my own heart...

I've never even heard of Stardust!

becca said...

Sounds like a good trip to me! I am sorry you didn't get to do everything you wanted, but all in all sounds like it was a success! Always fun just being with the family!

Wendi said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I like your title for this post--it's very catchy.

One of my other friends saw Stardust this weekend too. I wonder how I missed that? I seriously don't think I've seen a preview or anything for it.

Marie said...

Glad you had a nice break together. What is stardust? I've not heard of it yet.

jenny said...

I can't believe you got rained on. It does make traveling a little more enjoyable (for cooler temps)

We are Children's Place junkies. I LOVE that store--especially their $3.99 items.

Fun to see Tasha's house. Dave's lamp is cracking me up--and so Dave.

Holly said...

Hooray for your end of summer getaway! Glad you got to relax, visit your friend and have some family fun too--isn't the hotel pool the BEST--rain or shine?!?

That picture of Landon cracked me up!! What a trooper!

Sorry you couldn't sleep very well, but at least you enjoyed your books.

andrea said...

Sounds like a great vacation. Landon cracks me up as the clothes statue. I'm so jealous you have all your school shopping done in one fell swoop. I am doing it kid by kid. What a great idea to get away to do it.

Amy said...

I am 100% of a car wuss as well. Can't stand the drive we make to Cedar City every year.

Crazy irony that you were rained out during a drought. But I'm glad you managed to have a good time anyhow!

Laurie said...

A refreshing respite sounds like a perfect way to end the summer. It's always good to get away -- even if it's raining and your plans get muddled.

Michelle Alley said...

I love that lamp in your picture album - that's got to be from the Christmas Story - love that movie! Looks like it was fun despite the rain! Awesome you got away for a bit and would have loved to of hit those outlet stores with you. It's great you're going back next week!

Anonymous said...

The picture of statue Landon is cracking me up!

I'm glad you made the most of it, despite the traffic and weather. I've never heard of Stardust.

Did school start today? We still have 2 weeks.

Liz said...

Welcome back! Sorry your trip was a bust due to the rain! Well, not a complete bust since you were able to get some shopping in and visit Tasha!

Christina said...

sounds like a fun quick getaway-i seem to be a BIG fan of the close mini vacations as of late!!

Anonymous said...

that picture of you and the family....isssss soooo awesome, your hair looks fabulous...missy fabulous jill...see you in the next few minutes

Diana said...

Welcome back. That sounds like a perfect trip, not too long but away from home. What a treat!

Price Cream Parlor said...

So nice to have a break. My dream would be Rocky Mtn. Choc Factory as well! YUM! Will you do the Alpine slides on the next trip up? Strange that the weather turned on you!
Love the comment "Ah, this is the life!" So fun to get away!

Doodle Bugs said...

Sounds like a fun time despite the rain :o) Love the picture of Landon as the statue! Great family picture too!!

jenn said...

the family self portrait in the hotel room is SO cute! some rain sounds so nice, especially when sitting in a hot tub! glad you got away!

love Landon holding pink sweaters! :)

j said...

what a fun break! i love the picture of landon as the clothes statue- the look on his face is priceless!

i so know that feeling of needing to squeeze in a break- school just started here, but i am very much looking forward to our quick trip to idaho over labor day!

Lauralee said...

looks like a fun time! it has been a long time since I have been up there to park city.. we spent a couple nights there during our honeymoon.. good memories!

Elisa said...

I was in Logan this weekend too!

We were at the Yarrow earlier this summer, I enjoyed it. The hot tub is huge! I am glad you had cooler weather it was blazin' hot when we were there.

Holly said...

Sounds like you made the most of unpredictable weather! It is just nice to get away - and kids do so love hotels!! Thanks for the bullet points! At least it looks like you got in some good shopping!

melanie said...

I'm a total driving wuss! We had to drive for school shopping too and the drive home was so slow. I just wanted the couch or my bed. I'm glad it's over though!

Love the photo of the 4 of you. And Landon as a statue. Too funny.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great trip, even with all the rain! Park City is one of my favorite places. Glad to hear you are heading back to catch the stuff you missed. And you got to see Tasha! Lucky you! She told me how fun it was to have you and what a great job you did with the photo shoot. Wish I could have joined you!

The picture of Landon holding the clothes made me chuckle - good show, Landon!

Anonymous said...

One more thing ... What in the world? Stardust? I'm not a very hip person, but I generally have at least HEARD of movies in theaters. Totally missed the boat on this one.

Melinda said...

Hey looks like we had similar weekends. We got rained out of our activities. I was just releaved they refunded our money to us. I am jelous you got to go to more stores than me. It is good to be home hu?

Barb said...

I think breakfast is the best meal McDonalds does. I love the fruit and yogurt parfait.

amy gretchen said...

I think it's great you guys thought to do that. One last thing before school started and how awesome that it was cool weather.