
I had Robyn's girls overnight last night because Robyn and Jared were running in the Provo 10k early this morning, and my mom ran the 5k with Austin and Landon. I entertained the idea of heading to Provo with the 3 girls early this morning to cheer the runners on and to take pictures of course, but it didn't happen.

Instead Whitney woke me up this morning at 9 to tell me that Ashley had tipped over a barstool and broken the glass of a big picture frame. Hello! It just meant going from REM sleep to cleaning in 30 seconds, but it wasn't the first time for me so whatever. No one was hurt, just an early morning hassle to be taken care of.

Our big plans for the day involved driving out to Freakin Eagle Mountain for a day of family. We had a good lunch and amusing conversation (Adam is always so entertaining).

The kids played outside on the slip-n-slide. It was very cloudy today, but still hot. Of course Eagle Mountain is always windy so the wet kids ended up being cold!

The adults played "Imaginiff" for awhile (Adam won and I was a close 2nd) and opted not to play again since we ended up feeling like it might lead to some family group therapy or an SEP discussion, ha. Does anyone else find that game revealing? I enjoy it, but I don't think everyone else does.

Adam and Amy had to cut their day short because Megan ended up puking. Amy had lightning-fast reflexes and swooped Megan up and raced her to the bathroom (it was impressive really) and my mom had the floor cleaned up before they returned. Megan took it like a champ, but she just wasn't herself so they left early. The rest of us ended up watching "The Italian Job" on the huge tv downstairs. (Leather couches really hold in body heat, it was toasty.)

We left around 9:15 to head towards Thanksgiving Point to see the fireworks. We've never gone there before because we usually celebrate The Fourth at Adam and Amy's house and watch fireworks in their backyard. Landon was particularly sad that we weren't doing that this year, so we decided to brave the crowds to see some fireworks closer to home.

It ended up being no problem at all crowd-wise and proved to be quite enjoyable. We had the cooler full of ice in the car because we'd brought several liters of root beer for floats today, so we passed around this huge bottle of cold root beer as we waited for the fireworks to start. The kids thought this was great (who knew?), so our unplanned refreshments made the waiting more festive.

We were able to see great and were close enough to hear, smell and feel the boom of the fireworks. Our kids have never really been that close before so it was pretty cool for them.

The show was 30 minutes long, so we were surprised to find Landon asleep in the back of the car where he'd been watching the fireworks. Apparently his early morning race made for a long, tiring day.

Our late night and fireworks outing made our day feel more like a holiday, but I think we may have to actually start participating in more traditional events (see Patsy's post) if our kids are going to grow up thinking this day is about more than having a bbq with the cousins.
22 comments:
You had a much more 4th-ish of July than we did. We went to breakfast at church, then I came home and cleaned out the laundry room. Then we went and sold our Mitsubishi to Carmax. Then we went to our community's 4th party, but the line was so long and slow moving for dinner that we ended up leaving and going to the JCWs for dinner. The list gets worse, but I'll stop there. See, you didn't do to bad after all!
I agree with Amy -- your day sounds more holiday-ish than ours! Jessie and I went to the mall, did some creating while the girls napped, and then all the kids played in the water outside. We had a barbecue and then did our own fireworks. My boys still have never been to a big fireworks show, and I vowed last night that we are going to T. Point next year!
Wow I was so surprised to see reference to me in you post today!
that explains some of the traffic.
We really do have a fun time with the fourth- it helps living in my town. Activities are well planned & the crowd is managable.
I am so glad you went to the big fireworks! I love the big fireworks- they are my favorite.
they look like really good ones too.
Sounds like a 4th to me. I took the kids shopping most of the day. Not too 4th-ish, but we had fun. We did do fireworks and let the kids stay up to watch the big display for the first time this year. So it turned out great!
Maybe it's un-patriotic but we're celebrating the 4th tomorrow evening. After a long trip to Georgia and my sister's family arriving the day after we got home, I was not feeling 4th-ish. At all. So we will bbq and swim tomorrow and are holding out on our sparklers until then too.
What a great day...even if it started out feeling like the 3rd! Funny, we were going to break out our slip-n-slide, but somehow time got away from us. Your family has a beautiful home with what looks like alot of land....I would move out to freakin eagle mountain for that kind of space:)
Our fireworks extravagansa was as Lindsey called it a "dud"...they didn't start til almost an hour later and ALL the kids were asleep...oh, well...always next year!
I am in major catch up mode. Still drowning in boxes from the move but had to check in. Glad all is well!
Your 4th was a WHOLE LOT more festive than ours! We didn't even see fireworks...in fact, Brandon and I were in bed going to sleep when we heard the firworks start booming (it was 9pm...no kidding!) Our kids had been asleep for 3 hours already, it had been a LONG day, and didn't really even feel like July!
I think you guys had a pretty great day and it sounds like the kids had a good time!
We too spent the day with cousins. It was super low key, but I like things of that nature. Those fireworks looked spectacular! By the time ours came on to see I was so party all I could think about was my bed.
I really like the SP.
I've wondered about the fireworks show at The Point. I'll have to remember that for future years.
We actually had a fun 4th. We spent the day in the canyon with Nate's family and then had a "cul-de-sac of fire" at our house.
Sorry to hear that you missed the balloon festival. We've never quite made it there -- then again, we're usually out of town for the 4th.
the 4th has never been one of my favorite days- not that i don't believe in it, but there just never seems to be anything to do where i'm at. i was happy to be using outhouses and avoiding bears for this one.
what i wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall for your sep sessions!!!
There are no grandchildren in sight for me but all I can say is that when I'm a grandmother...I want to be able to run a 5K like your Mom did with the boys! Very very neat!
that imagoniff game sounds fun..
I will have to check that out!
I missed your Saturday and Sunday posts - out of character for you to be absent. Hope all is well!!
What amazing fireworks photos! Mine did not turn out so well.
Sounds like a fun 4th of July, minus the broken glass and sick child. I love all your photos featuring the flag too.
Love your SP in front of the flag - very patriotic. No "professional" fireworks for us, but some fun amateur ones over the lake. Hopefully I can get around to posting about it tomorrow. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your weekend.
I like the game "Imaginiff"! I used to have it, but it got lost in the mail when Mom put it in a package of stuff I forgot. I never received any part of that package, and I'm still bitter about it. Sounds like you had a fun day, even if it did feel like the third!
We had a fun weekend but I felt bad on Friday that we didn't do anything to help remind the kids about the holiday. I love anything patriotic... I need to do better about teaching them.
i have never heard of the game but will look into it.
your slip in slide action photo is awesome.
we were in NY for the 4th and I think I saw 3 flags, it was kind of sad.
I love fireworks. You'll have to tell Adam going to the show wasn't so bad. He has committed half heartedly to going in 2009, but I'm not sure it's going to happen without a little bit of encouragement.
We need to continue with our tradition next year. I'm not sure how it happened, the not coming to my house, but I was told we were all going to your parents when I returned from Powell so didn't think to plan anything.
Post a Comment