Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Quick Thought

I really don't have time to post this morning, because I'm supposed to be getting ready for a marathon day at Seven Peaks, but I just can't help myself. I grabbed these thoughts online. That's better than not posting all day right?


Thoughts on how to change your life for the better...

It’s never too late to change your life for the better! Let’s get you started with a few truths about life, courtesy of the book Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart by Dr. Gordon Livingston.

  • We are what we DO. Not what we think, what we feel, or what we say. In other words, actions really do speak louder than words. So, if you’re unhappy with some part of your life, take a hard look at what you’re doing to be happier. Chances are, you need to do more. For example, let’s say you’re not happy with your house, but can’t afford to move. You can still boost your happiness by ditching the junk, re-painting the walls, and planting a garden.
  • Another truth about life: Every relationship is controlled by the person who cares the LEAST. The fact is, most relationships end because one person’s expectations aren’t met, or someone doesn’t feel loved or cherished. So, if you want to make your relationships last and grow, both of you have to give love equally. You shouldn’t do it because you think you have to – but because you want to.
  • Another life truth: Trying to be PERFECT prevents us from enjoying what’s good about our lives. Look at it this way. If you don’t stop to smell the roses until everything’s “just right” – when will it be time to sit back and say, “Wow, life is good!” The energy spent trying to be perfect can keep us from enjoying the good things that exist in our lives right now.
  • Finally, Happiness is the ultimate risk. Sometimes what we know is more comfortable than what we don’t know – so, we keep plodding down the same life path, even if we’re depressed and want to change things. Bottom line: even misery can feel safe simply because it’s been a part of your life for so long. The fix: Even though it’s scary to try new things, you never know what new experience will turn your life around. So, bite the bullet and learn to draw, move out on your own, or just try the fried squid! Who knows, it just might change your life!
**What do you think?
I'm still not trying the fried squid!
Do you feel like you're waiting for happiness?**

If you’d like to go further, the book is Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart by Dr. Gordon Livingston.

25 comments:

Unknown said...

these are what you call "quick" thoughts?!? i was thinking you were going to say "i just found a spider in my bathroom - UGH"
or... "is anybody else bothered by this !#$% heat"
or... "there were 25 people in front of me in line at the post office."

now, i will really go back and read the questions you've posed :)

Deidra said...

I love the Happiness Project Blog. It has made me more aware of my happiness (and things I do that affect it), and it's amazing how little changes can make big differences.

crystal said...

Haha! Lelly's comment made me GUFFAW.

Great post. My over-abundance of post-baby hormones needed a superb post like this.

denise @ little ant design said...

Love this post - I'm going to go back and re read it and give it some thought. I have been in a funk as of late so this post came at a good time for me.

Have a great day at Seven Peaks.

Anonymous said...

Quite the quick thought Jill! I love this- I so try to live by these points and more.

I am not one to wait around for happiness at all. I liked the point about smelling the roses. So true. And about the person who cares the least in a relationship being in control. Such good things here.

So don't try the fried squid- but try something new and let us know how it went!

Ryann said...

Definitely on of my favorite posts of yours Jill. I really needed this this week,this morning, this moment. This summer has been one of stretching and growing, an opportunity to increase my faith and draw closer to my Father in Heaven. Sorry to get so personal, but you are really a blessing to so many and an influence for good.Thank you.

Robyn said...

Those are really good thoughts. I agree with Lelly, they don't seem quick! But thanks for sharing. I can't believe it's time for another Seven Peaks day. Does it feel like we just go Monday to Monday?

charlotte said...

Those are some pretty deep quick thoughts!

Missy said...

The last tidbit rang really true for me. That is why I waited so long to try to lose my extra weight and get fit. I was feeling 'safe' with how my life was going and was afraid to change. I'm glad I'm making changes now - it feels so good!

Amanda said...

oh my goodness. there is so much here to think about. I have noticed in the past sometimes that I've 'chosen' misery and allowed my depression to just overtake me because although it's not fun it's what I knew and was safe with. But change is good.

amy gretchen said...

Great thoughts (sounds like a very inspirational book). I especially love the first one...you are what you do. So true.

Of course I couldn't agree more with the last one. I think anything in life that is worth it involves risk.

everything pink! said...

I loved this post. thanks I enjoyed reading this.
but this comment below I am not sure how i feel about...

Another truth about life: Every relationship is controlled by the person who cares the LEAST. The fact is, most relationships end because one person’s expectations aren’t met, or someone doesn’t feel loved or cherished. So, if you want to make your relationships last and grow, both of you have to give love equally. You shouldn’t do it because you think you have to – but because you want to.

I kind of disagree with how this was said. going into the concept of love languages - it is more important to realize not everyone is going to show love the way i do or even have the ability to.
i think more relationships end because the person with expectations could have too high expectations of what it should be. I don't know what I think about that equally stuff - in a relationship it is a struggle to play the "keep track" game.
i seem to have some important relationships that are ending, have ended or in trouble so I really am curious how and why they have or are.
not sure how i feel about all this but is sure is getting me thinking more than i had planned on today.
thanks for posting this up.
I totally agree with the taking risks thing - jeff and i spent the day revamping our whole trip 3 days before we leave and we still have no place to stay the first night we get there, how is that for risk taking!
i know i will regret typing this and have deleted so many of my long comments lately and regretted it - so here is to not deleting.
here i go i am pushing the orange publish your comment button!
cheers!

jenny said...

WOw. Those are some deep thoughts for being quick. I really like all of them. Thanks for jotting them down via quickly :)

Price Cream Parlor said...

Lelly's comment made me laugh out loud! Much to think about with your quick thoughts today. Thanks!

Cecilia said...

Seven Peaks today??? I wished I knew you were there, so I could go say hi.

I was there for a little bit with my kiddos today, but I had to chase them the whole time at the kids pool....Good times!!!

Those were really good thoughts!

becca said...

Very good thoughts. It is probably a pretty good book. Sometimes we all just need reminders. And isn't it so true that we are what we DO. It is so easy to say one thing or another, even to really believe passionately about something...but a whole other thing to LIVE IT. Great thoughts!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I enjoyed these thoughts, Jill, and enjoyed Kristi's counter-thoughts equally as well. I'm going to be thinking today.

michelle said...

Wow, a lot of interesting thoughts here, Jill. Especially the one about relationships -- I'm going to be mulling that over for awhile...

jenn said...

I am slave to waiting for perfection- it effects everything and I really have to get past that!

patsy said...

I have been trying for what seems like days... to read this post, only to be interupted multiple times-
it was definately worth the wait & I just ordered the book!! I think it'll be a great summer read.
- thanks

Holly said...

Oooh---what good thoughts, from your post and the other comments. I may have to check out that book.

Shauna said...

If this was a quick thought....wow! Thanks for taking the time to post these amazing thoughts on your way out!!!!
I have experienced a friendship being controlled by the person who cared the LEAST. The other person cared what was in it for them and how they looked, and most of all, tried to control me for all the wrong reasons at every turn. It made me crazy. I was always making concessions and putting my all in to making it work, but in the end, it could not work because the person who cared the LEAST was in control and not able to put her all into the friendship. It took me a while to figure this out and let go. I am willing to be friends with anyone, so this was hard. I never "keep score" in a relationship and it is hard when someone does.
I hope this makes sense.
I also agree with the Risk Taking...every time I am willing to leave my comfort zone, I look back and say, wow, I am so happy I did that, or I cannot believe I did that.
Thanks for the thoughts.

Rebecca said...

I wouldn't try the squid either!

Laurie said...

The last one is my favorite.

Becky said...

I LOVE the last quote! I truly believe that we choose our attitude and we can choose to be happy (even when you struggle with depression you choose to be happy by going to a doctor and getting the help necessary for your body). I love choosing happiness :)

I do agree with Kristi's comments too...I'm not comfortable or in agreeance (a word I think I made up) with the quote about relationships. The thought that someone is trying to control a relationship at all makes me uncomfortable...I don't believe anyone in the relationship should be controlling or manipulative, etc. There are times to give and times to take too...equality is not necessary an equation in a good relationship.

Thanks for these awesome thought-provoking statements!