I thought this was a good story and I was happy that she drew several picture to go along with it (that's what makes it real for her), but I told her she should share a personal example of a time her prayers were answered. I typed up the story I thought she should share, but she was super hesitant to share it for some reason.
We went rounds over this as we got ready for church this morning. She cried, tried to say she doesn't like giving talks (that's too bad), and also said that she doesn't like telling stories about herself. Hmm.
I ended up explaining to her that everyone in our church has to give a talk at some point and that when we share our personal experiences our testimonies grow and we benefit those who listen as well. (This was definitely one of those teaching moments that really hit home with me.) She finally agreed to share an experience, but not the one I wanted her to share.
When the time came for her to give her talk I had no idea what she was going to end up saying. She read one tiny paragraph I'd written about prayer then told her story and showed her pictures and then closed her talk! I looked over at Landon just as he was saying to his friend, "She left out half a page of her talk!" I think she froze once she was up there because we hadn't typed up the story she had chosen to tell (that's because she chose it as we were walking out the door for church). I was a little disappointed because she had several really good, personal experiences with prayer that she could have shared but ended up keeping them to herself because she was afraid.
Anyone see any connections with Whitney's experience today? I'm actually really glad it happened this way because it gave us a chance to talk about the importance of recognizing when our prayers are answered, how we gain a testimony through these personal experiences, and the importance of sharing them with others. I don't know how much she understood, but our conversations this morning helped me to see things more clearly and will help me be a better mother and primary leader.
P.S. I'll have to share the story I wanted her to tell another day. Also, can I just tell you how giddy I am about being able to take pictures during primary?!
**What do you think??**
13 comments:
I'm really connecting with these thoughts because I had an experience last week which caused me to feel many of these same things. I've been wanting to post about it, but needing to be "at one" with my thoughts a little more before articulating them.
I shared a VERY personal experience with my Young Women a few years back; one of those experiences that is a little TOO personal. I kept feeling prompted to tell about it during a lesson and kept denying the urge, thinking I'd be one of those people everyone thinks is weird, who tells things which should be kept private. But I did, and last week--three years later--I found out that I'm glad I shared it.
Jill, I love how you glean deep thoughts and make spiritual connections from everyday, seemingly mundane experiences!
The lessons we learn while teaching our kids!! I think it is great that you can take pictures during primary...very cute. I remember getting so nervous to give talks in primary!! I love that Whitney draws pictures to help illustrate her story, she really is very creative!
what a great lesson. really. i think those are the learning opportunities that teach us all to listen to the spirit a bit more and that we need each other to make it through this life! whitney's talk looked adorable. i love that kids learn so young to do these things.
and i love your primary pictures!!!
How great is it that you have pictures of Whitney giving a talk in Primary?! I have to rely on my mental pictures for that...
It sounds like it was a great opportunity to talk about important things. I'm just impressed that she wanted to write her own talk (and illustrate it) at all -- I still can't seem to get Lucas to do that!
I think I feel like Whitney does about giving talks in church. Not my favorite. I love her illustrations, and maybe I'll have to give that a try next time I have to speak!
Thanks for your sweet note, by the way!
I have never thought about having a little illustrate their talk. I love that!!! So cute and clever!
This is a great learning experience for all - great teaching experience for everyone.
I love that you are able to take photos in Primary!
Great pictures!! And what a great learning experience for both of you... ( and me too). Again, thanks for sharing.
What a great experience! Tiago gave a talk in primary a few months ago and I used the book "Primary Talks for Little Later-Day Saints", I loved it because it comes with pictures to illustrate the talk.
Whitney is so creative with all her illustrations. I love it!
I love all the pics! Thanks for sharing!
good for you for taking a teaching moment & runnin with it. that's when the best lessons are learned for sure!
I want to take my camera to primary.....
I'm so impressed that you took pictures in Primary! Once again, I have to tell myself, "WWJD" (What would Jill do?"
I love that Whitney wanted to write her own talk and they she drew such cute pictures. How great that, at her age, she has had testimony-building experiences with prayer.
I loved reading this about Whitney preparing for her talk. It's sweet she doesn't like to talk about herself. Can't wait to hear the story you wanted her to share. Did you Bishop have to give you permission to photoshoot in primary? That's great.
I was like Whitney when I was younger when it came to talks. I had a plan and all that, but had a hard time sharing personal experiences with a large group. It was almost too exposed for me. Even now, most spiritual things feel so very personal that I share them with a few people but feel they are more meaningful to me this way. I haven't really thought about why until this post- so thank you for that.
I love that this whole experience was such a great teaching moment and that you ran with it!
i think it's great that you made this a great teaching opportunity for her. she will warm up to the idea of talking in church, it definitely doesn't come naturally to everyone!
i loved reading about your family camp out - what a fun idea! my neighbor down the street has a family camp out in her back yard every year with all their kids and grand kids. it's their family reunion, they call it the king benjamin camp out because they tie in the pitching your tents towards the lord thing. i thought that was so clever!
Post a Comment