Saturday, September 13, 2008

El Fresco

On Monday evening our family (minus Jared who was working) all met at a nice park to celebrate Lori's birthday.


Andrew has a tendency to disappear so Lori had to go retrieve him at one point, and looked quite adorable bringing him back. It's hard to believe she's 32 and even harder to believe that he'll be 21 in a couple weeks.


It was such a beautiful evening, with perfect weather and good lighting (which made for great photos ops). Of course, I think everything Ashley does is cute even getting a chip out of a bag.


Randy took this photo of the group (my dad hadn't arrived yet) and I must say I'm delighted with how it turned out.


When my dad finally arrived, Andrew's face lit up and he high-stepped his way over for a big hug. It was mighty sweet, though a tad insulting for the rest of us who don't ever inspire that kind of response.


We should celebrate more gatherings at public parks, because the kids wore themselves out and made themselves scarce in a good way.


Robyn took this photo of me with my 3rd cup of ice. If loving it is wrong I DON'T want to be right.


Robyn made tiramisu for Lori's special birthday dessert. I didn't have any (surprisingly that's not a treat I enjoy) but it looked good.


We all gave Lori envelopes of money for her birthday so she can buy what she wants. It didn't make for any fun present unwrapping, but does make for good shopping.


**Do you ever have parties at parks?
Do you love eating pebble ice?
How do you feel about tiramisu?**

17 comments:

Melinda said...

I always enjoy having functions at parks. It makes it so nice for the whole family. I have never had tiramisu. It has never tempted me. Glad the party went well. That is a sweet picture of Andrew with your dad.

michelle said...

It is a great idea having your gathering at the park -- what could be better than the kids doing their own thing AND wearing themselves out?

Your dad and Andrew have something special, I always love the photos of them together.

I think it is so sweet how smitten you are with Ashley. Everyone needs admirers in their lives!

I love having drinks with pebble ice -- not so much just eating it. But I think it's awesome that you have something that brings you so much pleasure. And it doesn't even have any calories! Maybe I should try to love it more...

I love tiramisu, and I'm surprised that it's not something you enjoy, it's so creamy.

Anonymous said...

I love eating pebble ice just like you, so I don't want to be right either. It's just the best. And, we have Sonic here (didn't in Oregon), so I've been partaking of the ice quite a bit.

I love that picture of your dad and Andrew. So sweet.

Denise said...

I love having parties at the park because you don't have to vacuum or wipe up anything when you're finished! I also love your description of the kids being "Scarce, in a good way." Excellent.

I've only had tiramisu once, and I can take-it-or-leave-it. I'd rather have my mom's chocolate cream pie.

That's a sweet picture of Andrew and your dad. Sounds like a fun party--especially for Lori, from the looks of those fat envelopes!

Becky said...

Awww...that picture of Andrew hugging your dad is a keeper, for sure (the type that tugs at the heartstrings!).

Love your sunshiney smile in the ice picture :)

Parks are an awesome place for parties...for a few months out of the year here in Arizona-lol :)

Looks like it was a great party..OK, I shouldn't leave comments late at night 'cause I'm rambling! goodnight...

Amy said...

Yes, I agree that parks are a good place for family gatherings. I will love them even more when Alex is old enough to be trusted to not wander away.

My favorite ice is the crushed ice from Pizza Factory, but I don't think I would enjoy just eating it so much. Iy needs a little apple beer to go along with it!

I love tiramisu. I didn't love it that much before going to Italy, but the tiramisu in Italy was so much better than anything I've eaten in the US--I couldn't help myself!

Kim Sue said...

love easy going family gatherings...that's great -outside with instant entertainment for all the kids, snacks, birthday treats!

Doodle Bugs said...

LOVE the idea of the park birthday party!! It looks like it was a great idea for the adults and the kids!! And beautiful weather helps too!

Love crushed ice!

Robyn said...

I really enjoyed that evening too. The weather COULD NOT be more perfect and being near the mountains at sunset is just heaven. I also loved that the tables were right near the playground so the kids could run crazy. Sorry you didn't go for the tiramisu- you're really missing out!

patsy said...

what a fun party! great picture randy---
I love parties at parks but we don't do that often enough
thanks for your encouraging comments on my blog. I'm doing better. just had a rough patch yesterday... ;)

Natasha said...

I love how you work pebble ice into as many posts as you can!

I think a park is a perfect place to celebrate a b'day.

That photo of your dad and brother - that would make a great black and white!! It is so tender that it made me tear up, really.

Price Cream Parlor said...

I love that you have that special bond with Ashley. I have that with my PQ and am missing her terribly!
I think that it is awesome that you capture the photo of your Dad and Andrew. You should put that in a frame and give that to both of them! Very tender!
Anything at the park with great weather and without a crowd is a good party in my book! Love it! Win win situation with the littles!

Melissa said...

I live very near that park and frequent it very often. We really like it. Sounds like a fun evening!

Marie said...

If I could find somewhere to get ice like that I would be so excited. I take ice cubes, put them in a ziploc, then pound them into bits with a meat tenderizer, and eat the chips. I think I may have a problem...

wende said...

that is a beautiful photograph of YOU! that photograph of your dad and andrew is sweet too, what a tender thing to still have child-like love affection from him after all these years.

i love pebble ice and i love tiramisu! happy birthday lori!

jenn said...

dang it.
my whole comment was erased because I forgot to add my password when signing in.

Here's the gist- it's cute that Andrew still carries Woody and Jessie around; it says something about your dad that he invokes that reaction in Andrew- so sweet!; I hope my next gathering can still be outside so I don't have to clean house.

charlotte said...

What a fun outing! I love eating outside when it's nice, and I loved it when we went to the park when I was a kid--a fun treat for the kids!

I think I got that skyline card for my birthday. Does it have rhinestone fireworks on the front of the card? Because if it does, best card ever.

I've never tried tiramisu and I do enjoy pebble ice, but probably not as much as you do!