Tuesday, December 09, 2008

SPT--Holiday Joy

Tonight I hosted our Relief Society Book Club, so today was spent feeling the joy of cleaning my house for guests, planning and preparing menu items, and experimenting with 3 new recipes (unprecedented!). I wrote last year at this time about being an accidental hostess and that is most definitely what I am.


Sure the two bathrooms I cleaned didn't end up getting used, the extra seating involved wheeling in two office chairs and some floor pillows, and there were some dishes in the sink (I ran out of time because I had to finish the book) but it was a good night and I felt joy. Woohoo!

**Are you an accidental hostess too?
Do you like trying new recipes?
Is seating at your house lacking?**

22 comments:

Unknown said...

seating at my house? no problem, as long as you don't mind sitting on a counter stool or sharing a smallish bench with someone you might not want to be particularly close to!

Cecilia said...

I can't picture you as being a accidental hostess. Your house always looks so cozy and clean :)

Cute picture of you!

Jeanette said...

Accidental or not, that picture looks very inviting! Makes me want to come on over and chat about books with you too.

MaryRC said...

you look like the perfect hostess... when i over prepare for a gathering at my home by cleaning like a crazy lady, I call it "keeping the illusion alive" that i live in a spic and span home.. LOL

Amie said...

You are not an accidental hostess! You are a great hostess...

keeping the illusion alive... I will have to remember that... definitely the plan I have going on... I have several people fooled....

I'm glad you book club gathering was a success.

wende said...

three new recipes? go jill!

Barb said...

I do enJOY cleaning for company. The extra motivation gets my vacuum running.

michelle said...

What the?

I want to know what the 3 recipes were!

Accidental or not, you are one of the best hostesses ever. And there is no illusion there, your house is always spic-n-span and homey and welcoming!

j said...

sweet! i bet you're a great accidental hostess. thankfully, that has not befallen me yet as people would be horrified by my house in full-on dissertation mode. :)
seating- we are unlimited if you can pull up a piece of floor. :)

Ann On and On... said...

I'm very sure it was a beautifully organized, comfortable and overall wonderful evening. Wish I was there.

I have a slight problem with seating...but my husbands mom made me big pillows good for comfy sits.

I love being the host.

jakenapril said...

i am impressed! seating at my house is lacking. i don't mind being an accidental hostess, but i would be a stress-case. and i love new recipes! cooking is my fave. and i'm with cecilia...your house looks cozy. great spt!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I love your term "accidental hostess" and think one of your parties would be absolutely delightful to attend.

Seating. What a funny topic. Both of our couches/loveseat in the living room were sat on by someone too heavy for the legs, so I always hold my breath when someone new sits on them (doesn't matter the size) hoping they'll hold and not embarrass them. The couch leg is precariously perched so if you hit it wrong you can knock it off again. The loveseat makes a terrible groan (though it has no intentions of giving way), it just sounds rude. All this to say comfortable seating is a premium in our living room :)

Natasha said...

I would love to visit you house!
About the bathrooms - when I had almost 20 people over for Bunco last month I had the guest bathrm sparkling clean and for whatever reason they all ended up using the childrens' bathrm instead.
Yay you for tying new recipes - I tend to stick with old favorites but am trying to branch out.

Laurie said...

I was a hostess last night and I totally forgot about the bathroom ahead of time. I went in mid way through the party and flushed the remnants of one of the kids' potty visits. Lovely. Luckily no one used the bathroom!!

Cute picture of you.

And yes, I enjoy trying new recipes. Tried one last night.

Kim Sue said...

I think people remember the feelings they had when they were at the party...feeling included, invited, comfortable, happy and none of that depends on if there were a couple of dishes left in the sink

Anna said...

How brave you are to try new recipes on a night you are the hostess. I'm not sure I could handle that stress!

Amy said...

darling picture! I love hostessing, but need time to prep. Because my house cleans up nice, but is not always shipshape.

Chris said...

I am not organized enough to be and accidental hostess. :-) Fabulous that you are. Love the picture, would be fun to be at a party there.
I am known for new recipes. I like to do that. Seating however is quite lacking, I am usually dragging chairs from all over the house to accomidate. I need to invest in a few folding chairs for times like that.

Missy said...

that cake looks delish!

Anonymous said...

I think you are such a great hostess and it is evident in the fact that you host so many things.

I am impressed that you tried 3 new recipes- do share!

Seating is weird at our house. We usually have to carry chairs up or down. We finally have ample seating in the living room, but it is so close to the kids room that now all parties take place downstairs, which is lacking in the seating department!

Serendipity said...

The cake looks wonderful...I've never tried a new recipe {can't imagine trying 3} if I was hosting something...that is impressive!

Holiday Joy Indeed!

Anonymous said...

That's a great picture of holiday joy! I think it's one of those laws of nature that if you clean the bathroom nobody will use it, and if you don't everyone will.