Sunday, December 07, 2008

Sunday Thoughts

"It is the spirit of the gospel of Jesus Christ, obedience to which will bring 'peace on earth,' because it means--good will toward all men. Giving , not getting, brings to full bloom the Christmas spirit. Enemies are forgiven, friends remembered, and God obeyed. The spirit of Christmas illuminates the picture window of the soul, and we look out upon the world's busy life and become more interested in people than things. To catch the real meaning of the "spirit of Christmas," we need only drop the last syllable, and it becomes the "Spirit of Christ." --Thomas S. Monson


I don't know about you, but something feels different about Christmas to me this year. It could be that maturity is sneaking up on me (gasp!) or it could be the state of the world right now, but this year things feel more tender to me.

I don't feel frenzied at all. I feel at peace in our home and with our family and don't feel like there are bargains I should be chasing or details I should be fussing over. Weird right? I am hoping that this is a permanent change in myself and that this Christmas season will light the way for future seasons.

**Do you feel differently about this Christmas?
Are you feeling calm or frenzied?
Do you do anything special throughout the month
to remember the reason we celebrate Christmas?**

10 comments:

Amie said...

This quote was used in our ward today and I read it last week in the Ensign... I like that it is starting to feel familiar.

I agree... I feel less frenzied this year, more calm, more content. It is a good feeling.

Ann On and On... said...

For the last several years I have noticed the meaning of Christmas slowly changing. In a time when we should ultimately be needing "things", since we decided to venture into grad school, in an other country, speaking another language.... I would rather spend time with friends and family than running around the mall. There is not one "thing" that means more to me than good health, real friends and quality time with family. Rich or Poor.

Honestly, last week was the first time that I saw an advertisement this season. I got a little panicked, maybe excited then foolishly happy. This is the first time in my live that I will not be enticed by the media. I guess there are some perks to not having a tv for months.

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking today how Christmas feels so peaceful and calm this year. And I have no real reason to feel calm -- I've done no shopping at all, my cards are not even a thought yet. But, somehow I feel calm and truly joyful.

I don't know what it is, but I just decided to soak it up.

michelle said...

Yes! This is the first year in recent memory that I don't feel completely stressed out. I don't know to what to attribute my unusual Christmas peace and calm, but I sure am enjoying it.

Price Cream Parlor said...

I would totally agree with you on this. I don't have my Christmas cards done yet and I am so ok with that. With all that we have going on in our family right now - I am totally at peace. THAT is a gift, I am certain.

Melinda said...

This is a lot of how I have been feeling. There are no deals to be chasing because we are hardly buying much for the kids.

I have toned down everything so much this year. I don't want the craziness. I just told Jason I am not baking as much this year. I want to enjoy the season not stress over it. It is a really good feeling and it is so much more enjoyable.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. I feel less of a rush to buy buy buy this year. More of a desire to be at home cozy, reading a good book with my children. Or even playing a game. Spending time together seems more important. Even my daughter made the comment that what make Christmas special for her is the things we do together during the Holiday. As I pair back slowly year after year. I see more clearly that it is not the gifts but my time that I should be giving.

Amy said...

I was jealous of your described calm. That Christmas feel hasn't hit me yet this year. And it's not like I'm running around frenzied, but I'm just not feeling the peace. I love that quote you shared. I always love your Sunday thoughts.

patsy said...

I too am envious of your feelings!
I started to feel that way though- after watching the Christmas devotional last night. It was perfect & just what I needed. I DVR'd it & I think I will watch it again today.

Christmas is difficult for me. I feel some sort of made up pressure in my head to make it so special. Special in a gifting & spiritual way. I am channeling your peace- or trying :)

thanks for the great message.

Laurie said...

I oughta get into the spirit and find the calm. Thanks for the motivation. I really tend to feel the frenzy between juggling the kids and still getting a nice Christmas put together. I gotta give myself a break though. I do have a baby that I'm attached to and a kid in a cast.

The good news is we do do some Christ-centered activities for FHE each week. We learn a little about the Christmas story each night, do our gifts to Jesus, and encourage the kids to do acts of kindness and obedience so they can put straw on baby Jesus' bed each time.