Friday, January 16, 2009

Fondue Gone Wrong

We got together at Collette's last week for our January book club discussion and to celebrate Jenn's 35th Birthday. (Poor Michelle was too sick to join us.)


Since Jenn loves fondue we planned to have cheese fondue and chocolate fondue. Michelle was kind enough to get all the stuff for the cheese fondue ready for Collette to pick up, all we had to do was make it but somehow it turned didn't turn out like fondue at all.


It was sort of a tasty cheese taffy. Seriously, as it cooled I had to cut it with my fork! That didn't stop me from eating every last bit of it, but it was kind of sad that the fondue for a fondue-specialist like Jenn went so very wrong.


This was the lovely set up on Collette's table.


Complete with a special spot for Jenn.


Collette had us make a toast to book club, but there was one glass missing.


Our night was mostly a catch-up of everyone's crazy Christmas family gatherings, but at some point we did discuss the book. We all love this trilogy of books, but all agree that These Is My Words is still the best one.


Sweet baby Briggs slept the entire time until Jana woke him up to feed him, then he spent some time smiling in Jenn's arms.


For dessert we had all of these tasty treats to dip into the chocolate fondue that Amy made. Everything is good dipped in chocolate.

We need a fondue-night do over, especially since we didn't end up making caramel fondue and that's Jenn's favorite! What the? How did we manage to overlook that little detail. Sheesh. I blame the holidays, we were all off our game.

**Have you ever had fondue gone wrong?
What's your favorite kind?
Have you read this book?
What would you choose for your birthday meal?**

22 comments:

melanie said...

I'm not sure I can discriminate. All fondue is my favorite. Except for the very public chocolate fondue at wedding receptions. That I pass up. Too many hands and fingers in the good stuff.

I loved this book. These Is My Words is definitely my favorite of the trilogy but this is a close second. I'm not one for rereading too many books but these could be on that list.

Briggs all bundled in the car seat is adorable. That phase passes too quickly.

michelle said...

That cheesy taffy is oh so wrong! I can't believe it didn't turn out. And yes, we definitely should have done caramel for Jenn. What were we thinking?

I love love love the picture of you guys toasting. It made me sad that I wasn't there...

becca said...

Your dinner looks so fancy, I love it!

I love fondue...but don't know that I could have handled "cheese taffy"! Oh well...at least it was good!

rmt said...

Collette's table set up is seriously cute!

I agree that anything dipped in chocolate is good! Someone made chocolate fondue for one of my baby showers years ago...and I still remember how good it was. Yum.

I have read that book. It was good, but as you said, These is My Words is better.

Liz said...

I really like chocolate fondue, but have never really had cheese. I've never made it myself though, so I'm impressed despite the fondue gone wrong.

I loved this series of books, and agree that the first is still the best!

Melinda said...

I love, love, fondue. I grew up eating this stuff. We make it with wine, garlic and two different cheeses. My parents just made it last week for my sisters bday. I am sad I missed it.

Price Cream Parlor said...

Love fondue. Makes me want some right now!
Favorite was just this week with a great friend at a great resturant...gorgonzola fondue with cold asparagas, apples and bread. YUMMY!

I love the original THESE IS MY WORDS. I read the second one, but not the third as I felt the second was a disappointment. Should I read the third?

My birthday meal - hmmm, anything that I didn't have to cook would be fantastic!

Laurie said...

I think I love fondue, but don't have it very often. Sadly.

I love this set of books too. I keep meaning to read the 3rd on my treadmill and then realize I'm working too hard to read. I need to work harder at finding time to read it in bed.

Happy weekend.

Bond Girl 007 said...

Oh....poor fondue...Hopefully next time you go about it, it will be a success. I love fondue, especially cheese and meat with all delicious sauces. I am sorry that Michelle missed it. How sad. I think for my birthday I would choose probably steak frites and/or Lobster or Fondue or.... OHHH soo many options....

Amie said...

I love fondue too but we only have it twice a year... can you imagine!?

At least this calls for a redo... that can't be all bad.

crystal said...

That is definitely one beautiful table setting.

And cheese in any form, taffy or otherwise, is always delish.

Amy said...

Yeah, I really feel like Jenn got the shaft this year, which makes me feel terrible! We were off our game, and I think we should have a do-over. February??

j said...

what a sad little fondue. this is a case where it is surely the thought that counts...
i don't believe i've ever done fondue- wait. yes, once. in high school, i think. i'm not sure i want to take a risk on cheese taffy rather than fondue, though...

Denise said...

You're right. Everything IS better dipped in chocolate.

Robyn said...

I have only read the first in that series, which I loved. I am afraid I would be disappointed in the others- sequels never quite seem to be as good as the first. Why is that?

I love fondue. I really want a good Cuisinart fondue set. I remember when we did it for your bday a few years ago. It was SO good!

For my bday meal I usually choose Thai or Indian (hate to disappoint you) but we can do fondue for my bday this year. I would settle for that...

Ciria said...

I am a lurker, but I thought I would comment because I had an exciting day and felt guilty for not commenting earlier. GET TO IT ALREADY.
Today at the Provo Library there was a Family Literacy Symposium and the Keynote speaker was Nancy Turner. SHE was amazing. She read some excerpts from her book and wow she brought even more life to the book. She told us the story of how that first book came about. She is funny, and sweet. She stayed to sign books and she really is just an all around neat person.
I was feeling guilty for not telling everyone I know that has read the book about the symposium it was so worth my time.

Susan said...

If you hadn't have posted a photo, I wouldn't believe "cheese taffy". Your description was very apt.

You are too funny!

Anonymous said...

So sad that Michelle was not up to coming! And the cheese fondue was a little sad, too! I've never made it before, but I do enjoy eating it! There were 2 good cheese fondue places in Portland, I'll have to find one here.

I purposefully decided to only read These Is My Words and not the other two because I just loved that book and didn't want anything else to mess it up.

jenn said...

The taffy texture did not stop me from eating it either- and I'm obviously not an expert because I did not know how to fix it!

I LOVED the chocolate but if you insist on a do-over with caramel- you know I won't complain because, you are right, it is my favorite. If Michelle is there for the do-ever- that would be even better! I love the toast picture too but felt conscious all night of our missing friend.

I blame the holidays for my birthday mishaps every year, so- damn the holidays! But I still had a great time being with my sweet friends!

shannon said...

Hey--there's nothing wrong with taffy and there's surely not anything wrong with cheese...what the heck...why NOT combined the two?

Sounds like a fun evening regardless of the "taffy pull..."

everything pink! said...

cheese taffy is so descriptive

i would have tacos for my birthday

i have that same lazy susan and love it!

carlo said...

a fondue redo is in order, for sure.

and what a catchy title you have for the post when you do it over!

:)