Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sunday Thoughts

Today was such a fabulous Sunday, I am so glad I didn't let myself stay home today even though I had wicked cramps and a headache this morning. I just took some Excedrin and hoped for the best.


We got to church5 minutes later than usual, so that meant we were only 10 minutes early for the meeting and weren't able to get a soft seat! We were on the first row of fold-out chairs in the back so we ended up having an entirely different view of things than we usually get when we sit on the 5th row on the left (it's funny how everyone sits in almost the same place each week isn't it?).


I was weepy within the first five minutes of the meeting as I watched cute, little families coming in. There were darling sisters dressed alike, mom's carrying huge bags full of things to keep their kids entertained, boys in new suits (one even forgot to snip the thread that held the back flap of the suit together), dads in suits and ties, young women with their hair just-so, teachers with extra bags of things for their lessons, and old men with their arms around their wives. It just did me in. I was going through tissues like crazy, and my family just looked at me with complete confusion. Whitney kept saying, "Why are you crying?" and I didn't have a reason that I could really explain to her.

Almost all the youth (ages 12-18) were sitting up on the stand, there were 20 young men and 12 young women. I wished so badly I could take a picture of them all together up there, because they made such a wonderful sight. Several of them gave talks and then they all sang together. I felt the Spirit so strongly that I thought I was going to burst or run up to the microphone and start pouring out my soul. (What the?)

{A self-portrait I took in the hall during primary.
My mascara was all cried off.}

So after church when I was trying to choose a spiritual thought to give at a Stewardship Meeting I had to go to I knew I'd found the right one when I found this.


This thought expresses feelings I wouldn't have known how to articulate. When I am at church I feel love. I love the other people there, I love the good things they are doing, I love the truth being taught, I love feeling my testimony grow, I love it that my children get to go there each week, and I love being able to serve the primary kids through my calling in the primary presidency. I love, love, love those kids!

{Our junior primary--ages 3-7)

I find that I don't ever want to miss church because I want to have these feelings and I want to be with the kids. When it's not my week to do Sharing Time I help make sure things run smoothly in primary and I move around sitting with different kids when they're not being very reverent. They often end up sitting on my lap, holding my hand or leaning into me the way kids naturally do. It's beyond sweet and makes me want to pick them up and say "I'm so glad you're here, I love you!"

Good grief, what's come over me? If there was any doubt about me incorporating the LOVE into my life over these past two years I think I've knocked it out. I'm officially a smitten, oozing, cry baby, boob.

**Did you have a good day at church
Do you tend to sit in the same place each week?
Do you get weepy there?
What makes you feel full of love?**

28 comments:

michelle said...

Well I didn't have any doubt about the love! Your first paragraph was so tender, I really loved your thoughts.

I did have a good day at church, ward conference. I love that feeling of fellowship and unity, that we're all joined in the same cause. I never never regret going to church.

(and I think you should tell the primary kids that you're glad they're there and that you love them, imagine how that would make them feel!)

j said...

this is such a great post. i seriously struggled to go today- there was no way i wouldn't go- but i really didn't want to. primary is a blessing, though- the kids there are fantastic. i'm learning i can deal with the issues with some of the adults if i just concentrate on them.
so many things i like about this post- thanks for sharing!

April said...

I just love your blog! Your Sunday thoughts are always so inspiring.
I know how you feel. I was helping out in Primary today as the chorister (my actual calling is in RS) and as the children sang, my heart grew full and I had to keep blinking back the tears. The Spirit is always so strong in Primary. I feel so blessed to have been able to be in there today.

(I think this is the first time I've commented here. Sorry it has taken me so long!)

Natasha said...

So true - we always sit halfway up the pews on the right side. And that's exactly where I sat with my family as a child too. Old habits . . .

michelle said...

p.s. you were ONLY 10 minutes early?? We are never early. Never. I'm impressed.

Amanda said...

10 minutes early and had to sit on the hard chairs?

Come to Connecticut dear and even if you are 15 minutes late you can take your pick of soft ones!

Terry just leaned over and whispered to me today that he would like to sit in a different pew every week just to throw everyone off. He's a nut.

I love the feeling that I get at church...and it's just like you were describing. There is so much love, service and truth in that building that you can't deny it.

I love how close to the surface your emotions are. It's a gift, I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

I loved this post, Jill! I had a very similar week at church last week. It was wonderful in every way. This week, my Primary team teacher caused so much drama it was ridiculous and that definitely created a little black cloud over the experience.

I hear you on the 5 minutes late = hard chairs. We have to arrive 30 minutes early to sit in the chapel, and now that we have 9:00 church, it's a little brutal. I didn't want to get out of bed this morning, but it's definitely always worth if, even if your team teacher decides to be the freak of the week.

The new weepy Jill is quite endearing!

Denise said...

I had a great day at church today! The Sacrament Meeting talks were inspiring and I thought of you as I took out my scripture journal to take notes.

I do think it's funny that people tend to sit in the same places each week. Our spot is 3-4 rows back, in the center. And no, I've never had to get there more than 5 minutes early to get "Our Spot." A few weeks ago we were late and had to sit on the side near the back. I know what you mean about getting a different view--I think I might want to try it more often!

Ann On and On... said...

When I attend church with my parents (who sit in the same general area) I struggle with a leaky faucet. Each week I grab a few tissue thinking maybe this week I won't cry...who am I kidding, I do.
(I'm pretty much out of luck here in QC, so my mom mails me the written words...a little different, but when I read them I can hear the Pastor talking as I read.)
I love the first photo...did you take that?

Alisa said...

Our family was laughing today about the "spot" situation.
Our building is undergoing renovations, and today was our first sunday to attend church at another chapel and it was funny how even in the different building and different shaped chapel everyone was still sitting in "their spot." My husband attends another ward on most sunday's and that ward switched to a school- he said that even then, meeting in the school cafeteria, everyone found their usual "spots."
My aren't we creatures of habit!

shannon said...

Wow! what an uplifting day you had!--
I think it's funny, too, how it always seems like every family has they're own assigned seats at church--I always get a little thrown off if someone sits in our usual spot!

You're primary is so lucky to have you! You are such an inspiration to me--really! you are!

I love how you are so tender hearted and are touched by the spirit in so many ways.

And, I really love that quote! Man! how I love that quote...thanks for sharing that--I needed a spiritual boost (we just got back earlier on this evening from the crazy 6 hour drive from Pittsburgh)--Driving with 3 whiney kids is not what I would consider a "spiritual charge"

shannon said...

P.S.--How could I have forgotten to mention this? Waiting in my mailbox today (from yesterday) was GOOD MAIL FROM JILL!!!
I adore that you made a card out of my peanut butter sandwich! How do I become like you? Goodness gracious! That was the sweetest thing ever and I'm so thrilled to have the labels, too! I will carry on your Good Mail legacy! Indeed!

Bond Girl 007 said...

oh my...missy you sure are spiritually and sentimental. Good combination. Wished I had a little bit of it...OH WAIT, i think I did last night. I went to the 10:30PM show of Benjamin Buttons.....OHHHHHHH MYYYYYY GOODDDNESSSSS....it was 1 30 in the morning when it finished, and I ohhh soo wanted to stay put and listen to the whole credits...but I figured, I should leave with everyone and get in my car safely...even though it is only 2 blocks away from home! It was a very thought provoking movie and full of sentiments. I looked like a cry baby at the end....

Julia Shinkle said...

I've been wanting to come out of hiding for awhile. This post did it for me. I did have a good day at church!!! I just got called(a few weeks ago) as 1st Counselor in the Primary and I love it! I LOVE primary, mostly because I am a kid at heart and just feel right there. I am in charge of sharing time this month and although I get nervous and am never sure I am going to say the right thing, the spirit always shows up to guide me. I love those kids instantly. I believe the spirit is the strongest in the primary room.

Thanks for your blog you are an example to me of what a good friend is. Thanks for sharing your life and your testimony. Oh, I still haven't tried Sonic ice but I know I would be making trips to Sonic to get it if I could.

Julia

Becky said...

Jill, this is such a great post...I was so sad to miss church today (and for the 2nd week!). I always hate to miss but have very little options when the kids are sick because Jeff's duties require him to be there more than mine do :)

I tend to sit in the same spot (in the middle) but sometimes I will pick a pew on the side which often makes keeping four kids reverent by myself a little bit easier...I'm sure that I mess up everyone else's "spots" when I do this! :)

I always get weepy when the Primary children sing, I almost always got weepy when teaching lessons to the Young Women, and unfortunately there have been many Sundays when I hide in Jeff's office after sacrament meeting and cry because life can be a bit rough for "the bishop's wife" on those days when the kids won't behave and the other women in the ward don't always seem friendly...but those days are thankfully not too often.

Again, I love this post! I loved that quote too (although I wondered, "What is a Stewardship Meeting?"). Whenever I teach I feel just overflowing with love and also when I snuggle with my children to read them stories.

Laurie said...

Are there a bunch of new commenters or am I out of it? Either way, cool.

Loved the post. Loved the quote. You have defnitely incorporated the love.

We have taken up back row seats, and love it back there. We no longer have a bunch of eyes on us. The funny thing is, our kids are finally behaving.

Robin said...

Wow...that's your JUNIOR primary?? Your junior primary is seriously bigger than our ENTIRE primary. Crazy!

And being in primary is an awesome place to be, isn't it? I love being with the kids too (:

Jill said...

Ann--Yes, I took that picture. It's the view from the North side of the church but down the street a tad.

Becky--Stewardship meeting is once a month when the primary presidency meets with the Bishopric counselor who's over the primary.

Laurie--Yes, two commenters came out of hiding today.

Welcome new commenters!

Anonymous said...

It's been snowing since Saturday night so I didn't get out to church yesterday. I do sit in the same spot and so does everyone else. I get weepy at church for randon reasons. I think it's a good place to let the tears out.

becca said...

Wow, what a great post. I LOVE that quote..I have never heard it before!? but it is so true! Thank you!

Liz said...

Church was a little weird yesterday. First, we had Sacrament in the gym as they were redoing the ceiling in the chapel. So that was kind of strange. Then it was the first day of Sunbeams for Jared finally, and he was not happy. Crying and carrying on through all of sharing time (while I was trying to lead the music), thank goodness Ben was there trying to help and ended up taking him out. He finally went with his class and was fine in the classroom. I sure hope next week is better!

We usually sit on the same side not necessarily the same pew. But every once in awhile we change it up for awhile. :) I think it is funny how some people sit in the same benches every single sunday.

I do get weepy sometimes. Being in Primary definitely makes me feel full of love!

Barb said...

We always sit in the same spot, of course!

Melinda said...

I really do love that quote. Plus I have become quite a boob cryer. I don't always enjoy it though.

We sit in the same spot always. I like it.

My life said...

Thanks so much for this post! I needed it so bad for some reason and it lifted me up! Thanks a lot for sharing your testimony and feelings.
Sandrine (a french lds)

Susan said...

I loved reading your tender thoughts and could identify with all of them. Thanks for sharing such a personal side of yourself. If I can get in on the "friendship plan" (a term Denise made up), then it's all the more reason to try to end up in the Utah Valley someday!

As for myself, I try to sit anywhere that there is no draft! I have my favorite place, but I usually get there early enough to test the waters for cold blowing air. I think there is a church-wide rule of thumb that both the air and the heat must be set at an uncomfortable temperature. When I look around, I know the places to look to see if someone is there! It seems that those polled seem to have their favorite spots.

I loved the quote as well. Can you email me a copy of it?

I was recently called to work in the Primary as well! I have the cutest, cutest class in the whole world! I teach the Valient 12 and guess what---they are all girls! WAY cute girls. Girls at that age are so teachable and without gile. I am loving it, and haven't worked in the Primary since Jessie was a child.

HOwever, yesterday was a stessful event. We have 9:00 meetings and we live about 30 minutes away from the Chapel. Me being the "prettiest ugly girl" as deamed by one of my sisters, have to have a full 90-120 minutes to get ready to leave the house.(I guess the word it out about my vanity!) I arose at my usual 5:45am, did the usual makeup, hair and scriptures only to realize that I must have left my car keys in Fred's car the night before. My spare is kept at my office, as I am often in a quandry trying to find my keys....I searched for a good 45 minutes, prayed about them, and realized that I must not have them where I could find them. How I was looking forward to seeing those cute girls and going to Church! Fred is in the Bishopric and leaves a good 3 hours ahead of me. He does not take his cell phone in and I had no one within driving distance to catch a ride with! That must be hard for you Utah girls to relate to. We are the very edge of our Ward boundaries. I kept hoping that Fred would be prompted to call and see if everything was okay, as he knew I was planning on coming. By the time he did call, it was too late for him to make the 45min round trip to get me there in time for anything.......so, your words meant a lot to me .Thankyou.

I'm planning on turning a cute friend of mine who is very Christlike and spiritual in her approach to life,( a member of another Church), onto your blog. You're the best!

Sorry for the longwinded post!

amy gretchen said...

I Love going to church for that very reason. It definitely makes a difference to your day and week when you go. I actually stayed home with Megan Sunday because she wasn't feeling well and the whole day felt different even though I spent my time reading church related material.

everything pink! said...

i of course never doubted your love ability

love the "i'm such a boob" label

love the idea of all the ym and yw sitting on the stand (using that one)

and i swear i could write a book about where people sit each week and why.

i had someone tell us to not sit in that row because it was there row. oh my that would be my first chapter.

carlo said...

i usually get teary at least once a Mass. never fails-- the music usually has something to do with it

we sit in the general area each week, as most do. funny when a visitor or new family comes and they are in a spot --everyone notices!

guess it is just one more thing that is universal, no matter what the religion! :)