
I have never heard that in a blessing before and thought it was such a wonderful gift to be given. I also thought it was interesting that he used the metaphor of a trap because that's exactly what it feels like when I find myself struggling to be happy for someone else's good fortune, supposedly "easy" life, wealth, marriage, thinness, and so on. It's one of Satan's traps for me and I know this, but still fall into it and have to try so hard to talk myself out of it and remind myself that those things have nothing to do with me and my eternal purpose. It's just very hard not to automatically feel that way at first. Ahh maturity, when will I ever find you??
**Have you ever heard a blessing say this before?
Do you ever fall into this trap?
Has maturity found you?**
Do you ever fall into this trap?
Has maturity found you?**
26 comments:
What a wonderful blessing! We should all be so fortunate as to have that gift. I fall into that trap frequently, and it would be so liberating not to want what others have and are. I have moments of clarity when I realize that I don't want that at all, but it is oh so easy to forget...
amen.
with people i envy i often tell myself, 'well, her life can't be perfect, so let's find something wrong with it...' which may be true, as none of us has a truly perfect life, but what if she really did have *almost* everything?...could i still be happy for her? would i let anger over run me? would i lose faith and resent the Savior's plan for my life? it's a test, a very hard test.
There was this young father in our ward here in Maryland that blessed his twins one sunday, ( i think it stood out more because he did two) but it was the most beautiful baby blessings i have ever heard.
he said such unique things like what you heard today. it was just a pleasure to listen to. i even told him that if i ever had another baby (joking of course) i would have him bless them.
maturity found a little of me today when one of my YW shared her testimony about doing the best she can and not being so hard on herself for the thing she is not doing. i was amazed at how much that touched me and spoke right to me - she taught me a lot today and after this i am off to write her a note.
i think that my biggest temptation in life is to not like me, right now it is the best that old scratch has got to work with me, but it works quite often if I let it.
i meant to finish with , that is my personal trap.
President Faust once said that every baby should be blessed with a sense of humor. What an observant father to bless his daughter with good self esteem. Don't you wish we all could be like our 3 year old selves...not a care in the world....
What a wonderful thing to bless a baby girl with. I definitely fall into that trap, but I think I am even worse. I read those cute style blogs of women with seemingly perfect lives who create lovely things and throw the best dinner parties, and I think, "get over yourself." But it all just stems from my insecurity of my not-so-perfect life. I wish I could just be happy for others, and happy for myself.
I enjoyed this post as well as all of the comments to it...
The picture of the trap is a most effective visual...
More often than not I find myself wishing I had what other's have--I must admit that I have to agree with what Rebekah said about trying to find something wrong with the person who seems to have everything...why does that bring me comfort when I find their faults?
Obviously, maturity has not found me yet...just another thing I need to work on developing! (that list is is pretty darn long!)
Well, well, well missy, is that a tiffany trap? Looks cute! Hey I came across this today....it might help us ALL in our way to maturity or in our stationed maturity (like today, we arrived from church and I said to myself...were is mum? what are we having for dinner....remember those days?)
Love looks through a telescope; envy through a microscope.
--Josh Billings, essayist and humorist
ps...I don't think we find maturity, I think we embrace love and all that it has to offer us and everyone around us
Very interesting post. I have never heard that in a blessing, but think it is a good blessing and lesson to have.
It certainly is something that I could use, and trap is really true. It only hurts me, no one else and it is one I seem to fall into.
Thanks for sharing.
I tend to fall into that trap too. It's so unproductive. Is it maturity, or just part of our learning experience?
What an evil little grin that trap in your picture has! Scary!
Yes, yes, I fall foul of that trap too. I have this STUPID thing in my head that I'm failing in life by living in the town I grew up in, so close by to the house I grew up in. I know, deep down, there's nothing wrong with that. But I keep thinking that everyone else moves away AKA 'moves on', and that I haven't so I'm theoretically in a rut, right? Wrong! But I forget that all the time and keep telling Paul that we MUST, MUST, MUST move to another town at some point.
We just don't have parents making blessings over children like that in the Church of England. It's something we'd benefit from, I'm sure. What a blessing her father is to her!!
I could name way to many traps. Thank you for sharing!
wow- i've never heard that in a blessing before, but really- how insightful of that dad to recognize that. i hate to admit it, but i definitely fall into that trap more than i'd like to- it's easier blogging, too, i think- because you see just this one facet of people's lives and you think "why can't i have/do/be that?!" until, of course, you see more... i'm starting to realize that while there are a lot of things i envy, there are a lot of things i don't- and i ought to just be content with how heavenly father dealt my cards. :) oh, jennifer...the time it takes to learn these lessons. :)
Spiritual maturity will be my life-long quest. After I conquer the cheerios then it will be time for the applesauce, then the squash . . . then the meat. My goal is to just keep progressing.
These are good thoughts. I love the quote that Claudia shared. If only we could remember and put this into practice on a daily basis. It's much harder when we have all those traps laid around us!!
I just love thoughtful,extra meaningful baby blessings. It seems like such a wonderful time to seek the Spirit as a companion for our children throughout life. That was a fine blessing, and I feel as if it were a real gift of the Spirit.
I don't feel envy very often. That doesn't mean I never feel it! Occassionaly, I find myself wondering why other people seem to have success (professionally) who don't seem to have much talent, or who don't seem to have to work at it so hard, I mean physically...not so much creatively! Why are some people naturally thin?! Then, I rememeber something my sister Denise has said to me on numerous occassions. That is, no matter what our trials or misfortunes in life, that she would't want to trade them for someone elses. I know that I am blessed in so many ways, and I also have always had confidence that I can handle whatever I have to. I am going to try to remember that more often.
I really look forward to your Sunday posts! Thank you.
What a beautiful blessing! That is definitely something we need to cultivate as individuals and as a people. I think that poor self-esteem is one of Satan's greatest tools--how profound that her father was inspired to bless her with that extra measure of protection.
I've been feeling the same way about maturity. WIll I ever grow up? I talked to a lady from church who is much older, but seems to be at about my maturity level right now. While I enjoy talking with her, I thought, I do not want to be her (or me at this age now) when I am her age. Know what I mean. I need to work on growing my maturity, spirituality,etc.
I too fall into these traps far too often.
What a meaningful blessing that father gave. I hope someone wrote down as much as they could.
I have never heard of that either and I have to say that I just love it. That is such an awesome thing to add to a blessing. What an on the ball dad to add such a thing.
Those envelopes are so great. Michelle did a great job picking out all of the colors.
Holy Cow did I ever need that reminder....thank you!
I like the green.
Maturity has not found me... I do think this is maybe the only trap I don't feel like I struggle much with (I could be fooling myself though)I attribute it to selfishness. I am too wrapped up in my own world, trying to control every little aspect that I don't tend to get much further than that. I always think "well, somebody needs to come out on top" - even if it isn't normally me, I am happy to see others do well.
I love baby blessings.
I tend to most fall into the trap of comparing and beating myself up that I'm not as good as others. Whatever the trap, they're painful. Maturity is a slow process for me, but I think it's going a little faster in my 30s than in my 20s...maybe....
LOVE the banner.
Claudia - that is so funny! Tiffany's. that made my snowy monday!!
your banner, your banner it is AMAZING!! my favorite by far!
no, maturity has not found me, and I fear it never will!
I love this, and cannot think of a great blessing to give someone in today's world.
When I was starting high school I remember my mom saying something to me once when I was saying how I wished I looked like someone else, or was as good at sports as they were or something (I don't even remember)...she told me to think before I said that, because would I REALLY want all that they had. When I really thought about it...the answer was always NO. Maybe someone had a great body, a ton of friends, or a gorgeous face, but they also had a whole lot of struggles I did not want (and many more I am sure I couldn't see). I think that conversation saved me a lot of heartache over the years.
More than anything, I want my girls to avoid this "trap"! Thanks for sharing!
I frequently fall into that trap...made by Tiffany's or not.
My friend's husband blessed their baby with a strong voice and every Sunday when she screams in church we all joke that it's her husbands fault! Be careful what you ask for.
Post a Comment