Thursday, June 25, 2009

Return of the Popsicle Sticks

Now that we're home from our trips, this week feels like our first real week of summer. I really want us to have good habits, yet it's nice when summer vacation feels different from the routines of the school year. I'm actually the one having the most problems because I've been sleeping so poorly. I'm in a bad cycle of being up at odd hours during the night and then sleeping in late in the morning...not good. I bought some Tryptophan tablets thanks to Adam's recommendation and was actually able to sleep for 6 hours in a row last night, woohoo!

{Notice Whitney's inside out and backwards shirt.}

But I digress, one of the things I want to work on in the summer is teaching the kids some life skills (remember this post from last summer?) along with having them do some work each day. Last summer I initiated the Popsicle-stick job bag which involved them pulling a Popsicle stick with a job written on it out of a bag. It worked well and was fun too, so we're doing it again this summer, but I added about 25 more jobs to the bag.


Some are super easy, some are fun, and some are a bit hard, but overall they are helping the kids learn to clean and help run the house.


Whitney's job on Monday was to make dinner. She was totally excited about this and chose to make spaghetti. I was in the kitchen with her the whole time, but had her do everything. She browned the meat, boiled the water, preheated the oven for the rolls, set the table, and so on.


Clearly, she's satisfied with her work!


Landon's "job" today was to write a letter to one of his cousins. He was happy doing this, but wouldn't have been had I just suggested it for something to do. I hope the kids catch the vision of some of these activities along the way.


Whitney and I made a reading chart for her to record and rate the books she reads. I really want her to gain a love for reading. She loves books, but is so visually-oriented that she prefers the books with pictures of animals, dinosaurs and such.


Another one of Landon's "jobs" this week was to list 20 things he's thankful for. I was impressed by how quickly he was able to do it and by the wonderful things he listed. He did this completely on his own. (I have no idea what made him think to write that last one.)

**Any job suggestions?
Do you have goals for the summer?
How did you gain your life skills?
What do you wish you knew how to do?**

18 comments:

Becky said...

It is such a satisfying feeling as a mother when I teach my children the skills they need. We have recently implemented a chore chart (and with it, our first ever allowance system!) to make good use of the kids' summer and to start teaching them money management skills on a very small level.

I like your idea of having correspondence with family members be one of the "jobs"...currently my kids have jobs (based on their ages) that include working on Cub Scout requirements, emptying trash, helping to feed a bottle to the new baby, brushing their teeth (why is this so hard for my kids to do consistently?!) and other "typical" household chores (dusting, toilets, bathroom sinks, vacuuming).

P.S. This already feels like a long comment but I have to tell you one of my favorite new parts of our chore routine here. I wanted the kids to learn how to clean but I also felt like it was absolutely vital that they learn to not sit around and wait to be told to do something. So each of the kids have to accomplish a daily "See It, Do It"...which means just what it says. They have to see something that needs to be done--whether it is cleaning up a small mess in the playroom, helping their toddler sister open her yogurt at snack time, or putting away shoes that have been left out,etc.--and then do it without being told. It is the most fantastic thing ever!

Great post, Jill...

Nikki said...

EXCELLENT. I'm glad you reminded me of this. I've been racking my brain trying to think of a way to teach my kids more skills and get them reading more and away from the TV AND working on scouts, Faith in God, and Personal Progress. I am so going to use this.
I think I may incorporate the See it do it idea from Becky as a bonus too.

Courtney said...

I love your popsicle stick chore list! May need to heavily consider implementing such a tool around my house. Though, my kids are still at the age where they'll assist in the kitchen more than full out handle it. They also don't have the attention span to learn how to properly load the dishwasher... though neither has my boyfriend.

The BFG! That's one of my favorite books from when I was younger. I bought it last summer for my oldest daughter.

Tryptophan, hm? May have to look into that. For the boyfriend at least. I feel bad about drugging myself to sleep with my babies still so little.

Kim Sue said...

I can't wait to come back and read the other comments because I know there will be all kinds of life-lesson ideas that I can't even think about. One of the things we worked on the last couple of months is to be able to leave a voice message. She has been leaving messages for her dad or grandparents for a long time but I realized this year when she needed to call a friend to ask what was their homework page that she had no clue. I am constantly tring to teach Carly how to talk for herself whether that is ordering in a rest, asking for help at the library or communicating with her teacher.

patsy said...

I totally forgot about this idea--- BRILLIANT- I am totally copying this tonight!

Natasha said...

I am impressed with Whitney's dinner. Luci has no interest in any type of cooking unless it's to make a fun dessert or something. I will have to try more with her. BTW I love your kitchen table!
I like the job stick idea. I have had my kids do jobs like organize the bathroom closet (as in re-fold the towels they sling around in there) and help more with outside jobs during the summer.
At bedtime each night they always list one NEW thing they are greatful for and one night Griffin said "the watermelon plant I stepped on that survived."

Ryann said...

"Apparently I'm the Mom" could be the theme of my life, more so lately. once again Jill, you are a gem of a person, I feel like you are a friend and you inspire me everytime I read your blog. Thank you thank you! Also, the beautiful card you sent us--words cannot express how touched I was. It was a flood of emotions seeing the good mail sticker, the incredible photo (im sure it was yours) and your loving words. I was going to email you as well as Kristi, but her email address popped up immediately. (im not making sense, sorry) Anyway, you are a bright spot in my days, thank you always.

crystal said...

Favorite thing Landon's "greatful" for: "mom & dad being funny."

What a compliment!!! Keep up it up, Chuckles. :)

Robyn said...

I love the popsicle sticks. I really need to copy this idea and integrate it into our routine. It's such a great tradition/habit.

I like Whitney's satisfied smile after dinner. How many 8 yr olds can make spaghetti? Good job Whitney!

I also love Landon's list. You are really teaching them good things.

John Laurie Clayton Jack Evan said...

We do popsicle sticks too. Anything to do with popsicles goes over better around here. Love the ideas you have though - thanks for the job ideas!! I definitely wish I'd really learned more life skills growing up...organization being a big one!

Melinda said...

My mom really taught us how to work and cook. At the time I thought we were so picked on but now I am able to care for my family and I have really tried to teach my kids. The fight me also on everything but hopefully when they are older I will be able to go into their homes and see what I have taught. Kids these days just are not taught to work and it is sad.

Rebekah said...

i wish someone would make some popsicle sticks for my life.

Susan said...

We had major job assignments all summer (well, all year, but moreso in the summer) when I was growing up. I scrubbed the kitchen floor every other week on my hands and knees, I remember that! It was a solid vynl black and while checkerboard...it always got really bad black scuff marks on it and had to be scrubbed with a brillo soap pad! It was pretty big too.

I like your popsicle stick idea and may have to impliment it at work! I seem to be the only one who cleans up...a real problem!

I also remember having the dust all of the books in the bookshelf! We cleaned our house several times a week and my sister Karen and I were the main "team"!

I'm sure glad that you paid attention to Dr.'s orders with bedrest (I presume!) in order to prevent an early delivery with Landon!! That was cute.

michelle said...

I'm feeling like summer is just now starting for us now that I'm back from camp. I'm totally going to implement the popsicle sticks (finally) and I'm excited about it!

The photo of Whitney with her dinner is priceless -- I love the look of satisfaction and confidence on her face.

Amber said...

Now that is a clever idea! That is going to be our activity this FHE-introducing the popsicle stick bag. Thanks!

Liz said...

I love some of your "job" ideas! I would never have thought to include things like making dinner, writing a letter to a cousin, etc. Thanks! I have done the popcicle sticks in the past too. I am working on a rendition of bingo that I saw on Stacy Julian's blog.

My goal is to try to get some exercise in and not stay in pjs all day long, which is what my kids have been trying to do.

shannon said...

OK!--I am SOOOOOOOO doing this popcicle stick thing with my kids...(I wasn't in the blogging scene last summer, so I never knew you did this....) I love it! I can't wait to implement this with my kids...

Thanks for sharing this!

Alisha said...

So do you get credit for creating the popsicle jobs?

We do those at my house, too, thanks to Emily J. who shared them at a "mothers who know" group a couple of years ago.

I {heart} popsicle jobs! :)

Thanks!