Monday, July 06, 2009

Festive, Family-Filled Fourth


What happens when 7 adults and 8 kids go to the pool? You bring a TON of stuff! Chairs, umbrellas, towels, lots of sunscreen, life jackets, treats, drinks, cameras, books, magazines, and on and on. It's a wonder anyone ever ends up getting wet.


Randy missed a couple spots as he lathered up in SPF 30.


The pool had been emptied before we got there because of an "incident" from a small child (ew). It was empty for an hour and I'm sure they filled it with oodles of chemicals, then we let all the kids go in. None of the adults were that keen on going in the "poo pool".

The boys ventured out.


Whitney got some serious height as she practiced her dive (at least her hands are diving).


I wore my swim get-up, but was very happy to sit in the shade and read. Whenever I do this it reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Elaine wears a huge hat at the beach and Jerry says, "And then there's Maude!"


Adam read too!


The crazy thing was that the kids got to play in the water for about 15 minutes, then the pool was cleared for the hourly chlorine check (even though the pool had just been closed for an hour), then they got to swim for another 20 minutes or so before the pool was cleared again for a 2nd "incident." What the? We ended up leaving because it was going to be closed for another hour and then reopen for 30 minutes until they closed for the night. Good Hell!


We caravaned to Adam and Amy's house for a BBQ.


I got out of my swim get-up and was putting on my dry clothes when I realize I'd forgotten to bring a bra! I ended up wearing my swimsuit under my clothes so as to be somewhat supported. It's a good thing I hadn't gone swimming or it would have been a very uncomfortable and embarrassing day for me!


This was seriously a burger to remember. It had ranch dip, lettuce, tomato, and avocado slices. I'm dreaming of it now...


We celebrated my birthday, and I'm happy to report that I wasn't mental at all! It probably helped that it wasn't my actual birthday (whereas in the past it used to bug me to celebrate it early) because I had no expectations and didn't feel like it was "my" day.

I got a Visa gift card from Adam & Amy (I'm going to buy postage online with it, woohoo), a Barnes & Noble gift card from Robyn and Jared, an iHome type thing from Randy and the kids (so I can listen to my iPod in the other side of the house), and my mom's old Kitchen Aid mixer (big surprise) and a gift card for the movie theater from my parents.


Lori made this festive and tasty cake. (The frosting was particularly great.)


They sang our traditional birthday song, "Happy, happy birthday, may all your dreams come true. Happy, happy birthday to you, to you, to you, ole!" I forgot to make a wish when I blew out the candles, oh dear.


Andrew loved the strawberry ice cream.


I love taking miscellaneous shots of the group like this because they're totally candid and capture the family-filled feeling we had going on.


The glow necklaces Amy gave the kids were a serious hit. They were so into them they weren't that interested in the fireworks.


Landon did some fire dancing with his sparklers, good times.


I'm bummed that this photo is blurry, but it still captures the backyard view we had of the fireworks going on in the valley below.

**Do you like to read at the pool?
Do you know which Seinfeld
episode I'm talking about?
What do you think of bra substitution?
What would be on your burger to remember?
Did you watch fireworks?**

19 comments:

Quelly said...

Happy Birthday!

That first picture of you in this post is beautiful!

I am a reader at the pool as well - I prefer the shade and a good book.

Amy said...

Sounds wonderful! Ours was a bust of a day (not too surprising when we are almost completely housebound) but we did have fun setting off fireworks, and then we went to my sister's for her neighborhood's "Driveway of Fire", playing and making s'mores.

Elizabeth said...

Hope your sleeping better!

2cleverblog.com said...

dream burger ::

Great Bread, the bun makes all the difference
grilled mushrooms
red onions
ketchup
lettuce, very crisp
slice of pineapple
fresh green chili, not chopped up in little pieces but one whole piece
jalapeno's
green peppers, crisp not cooked
slice of bacon
and of course meat

you can get one just like this at 5guys which is now in SLC minus the Pineapple and green chili, they don't have that. Seriously it is the best hamburger I have ever had there.

Kristi

Natasha said...

We did glow bracelets for the 4th and all the cousins liked them as much as the fireworks.

I like that pic of Whitney jumping off the board!

Our neighborhood pool was closed for 2 WHOLE DAYS over the weekend due to a poop incident and I was so bummed! At least it was a really good excuse not to have to take the kids to the pool.

The burger and cake looks heavenly.

Nikki said...

I haven't been to a public pool in years, but I'm sure the kids aren't old enough yet for me to read.

I do know the episode.

Smart substitution!

That burger looks delicious!

We did go see the fireworks- So much fun!!

I'm glad you've had a good birthday celebration. :)

Kim Sue said...

wow at the birthday goodies! you have started your birthday month off to a good start!

Kristy said...

Seems like a fun day! Unfortunately, I don't have enough in the bosom department that someone would even notice if I had forgotten my bra. I would have thought that all of my fat would have added some up there, too, but it hasn't happened. At least you had your swimsuit and it wasn't wet or you might have had to make an emergency stop somewhere to pick up a new bra-if anyplace was open! That sounds like my luck-lots of careful planning but always something pretty important that gets forgotten. :)

patsy said...

what a day!

So happy to hear your birthday is starting off good. I'm partially mental already here, I really am trying though.

That hamburger!!! YUM- If it weren't for hamburgers I could probably go vegetarian. I'm thinking about printing of kristi's response & working on that :)

The poo in the pool- holy hell is right! SICK here... totally not good- oh man, I hope you got your money back!!?

ps. I know which sienfeld you are talking about :)

jenn said...

I hope they gave you a refund at the pool! That is crazy (and gross).

We had the same drama with glow necklaces- more entertaining than all the fireworks we had going which was a lot this year!

Bond Girl 007 said...

what is up with the poool? that is a seriously good looking sandwich...good thing about the bra....can't believe you forgot it.....you should have gone a la europea.....hehehehhehehehehehhedhe I love to read, and I don't when there is a pool...I rather be swimming and getting old and prune in the water. I missed the fireworks....kind of....another story.
i love love love the cake, and feel particularly keen to ask for the recipe of the frosting....cute cute cute design.

michelle said...

The whole pool situation is kind of tragic, really. I can't believe you had to pay to get in and then not really use it! I would loooooove to read at the pool, but that's not an option for me -- yet. Someday.

I think I would rather go without a bra than stay in my swimsuit any longer than necessary!

That hamburger looks delightful. My ultimate burger would have cheese, tomato, sauteed onions and mushrooms, guacamole, bacon, lettuce.

I'm glad that you celebrated your birthday with family without feeling mental. Great gifts!

Robyn said...

I can't believe you forgot a bra- so funny- you're lucky your suit didn't get wet!

I quite enjoyed the lazy day in the sun, reading next to the pool... minus the kid poop in the pool. Seriously, what are the odds of that happening twice in 2 hours?!

Glad you got some good stuff for your birthday. I am very jealous that you scored the Kitchen Aid mixer. Hope you enjoy it!

becca said...

What a great day! Such a good picture of you too! You look beautiful!

becca said...

Sorry I clicked enter before I got to say that...

I LOVE HERE BE DRAGONS!! Serioulsy, quite possibly my most FAVORITE BOOK! I have the next two in the series, but haven't found time to dive in yet. I also got my mom hooked on the author and she has read every book she has written.

Oh...I LOVE that book! :) It just makes me so excited when someone else is reading it :)

Esther said...

Happy Birthday and many more!!!!

I love firewoks and it seems that you guys had a spectacular view from Amy's home.

crystal said...

So much to say!!!
First: Oh-indeed-i-do know that Seinfeld episode! The ugly baby one, right?

Second: That sparkler photo is so Americana! I love it.

Third: I once arrived at school, where I taught 8th Grade English, and realized AS THE BELL RANG that I had forgotten to put on a bra that morning. What the crap????!!!! I didn't have the swimsuit excuse, either. Just forgot to throw it on. Oh, the humanity, for sure.

Rebekah said...

I'd have probably pitched a fit and driven back to my house to get a bra. I hate wearing a swimsuit under my clothes.

I like to read while I'm waiting for my laundry to finish. All that white noise is soothing, and I like that it's a set amount of time that I can just sit there without worrying about doing anything else.

Have you tried a burger with a fried egg on top? Seriously, it's so good.

shannon said...

The cake looks delicious...

I SOOOOO know the episode your talking about! That was seriously the funniest show ever! I find a Seinfeld moment almost everyday!

Is that the pool you go to?! It looks delightful with all of those water features...my kids would love it!