Instead, we're going to our local pool, which allows food and is much closer. Landon and I met up with Michelle and her kids on Monday afternoon (Whitney was at a different pool with her friend Madison).
I brought cups of Tang-covered pebble ice for Michelle and I and made a believer out of her. I'm toying with the thought of putting Tang over vanilla ice cream for a creamsicle affect, doesn't that sound good?
This grasshopper took up residence on the handle of Michelle's bag, and though it was causing no harm, Eva was scandalized by its presence. Michelle didn't mind it sitting there, but apparently has bad childhood memories of hopping grasshoppers, so she wasn't keen on its random movements once it left her bag.
I actually rescued a grasshopper from the pool later in the day and was quite proud of myself for saving it from drowning. I was thinking this would be a good Karma-type thing, but then remembered the earwig I washed down my shower that morning and wondered if there are certain levels of bug-saving accolades. Surely killing bugs in your house is different than letting an innocent bug outside die, right? Maybe I'm crazy.
I decided that everything tastes better when at the pool (or beach). Landon always chooses
White Cheddar Cheez-its, and I brought Pringles. It could also be that they were both freshly newly opened, but I still think there's something more to it.

Michelle and I were very surprised to see blogging friend Lindsay sitting right in front of us with her beautiful new baby girl. Lindsay recognized Eva playing in the water and then spotted us. It was horrifying to be spotted in our swim ensembles, but it was still nice to talk to Lindsay.
I love the look of the water in the late-day sun!
Poor Michelle had shoes with some flip and no flop. Her recent $1 flip flops pulled apart and had to be trashed.
On Tuesday, Whitney and I spent 3 hours cleaning the garage (again!). She sorted through all the toy bins without complaint (amazing). She was motivated by the promise of going to the pool later in the day and by the delight she had each time she "found" a toy she thought was missing.
On Tuesday, Whitney and I spent 3 hours cleaning the garage (again!). She sorted through all the toy bins without complaint (amazing). She was motivated by the promise of going to the pool later in the day and by the delight she had each time she "found" a toy she thought was missing.
So we picked up Landon and his friend and finally got to the pool just after 5:00pm. The boys played great together, and Whitney played so well by herself. She used her dinosaur toy and goggles to create some sort of game. I love it that she's so independent!
Because we'd gotten to the pool so late, I was able to find a good spot in the shade to read my book. I had intended to swim with the kids, but when they didn't need my company and when I wasn't overheated I ended up loving my set-up. I could watch the kids in the pool and read my book in the comfort of my own chair. It was bliss!
Our location near the fence also gave us a handy way to hang our towels. I'm always trying to get the towels to dry in-between visits from the kids (though they never seem to appreciate or try this themselves) and this did the job beautifully. Who would have thought I'd voluntarily go to the pool multiple times a week?
**What snacks do you like to take to the pool?
Do you have issues with grasshoppers?
What's your policy on killing bugs in the house?
Do you try to dry towels in-between swim times?
Is there such a thing as pool bliss for you?**
Do you have issues with grasshoppers?
What's your policy on killing bugs in the house?
Do you try to dry towels in-between swim times?
Is there such a thing as pool bliss for you?**
15 comments:
I was wondering what had happened to your weekly Seven Peaks visits. What a lame rule.
I always thought food tasted better at the beach. I swear that just the tiniest bit of sand makes a tuna sandwich and Lay's potato chips taste so much better.
I always say boat food is the best
Scandalized by a grasshopper- cracks me up! :)
Sounds like the perfect visit(s) to the pool. We need some seriously hot weather here so it'll feel like summer! (We're lucky to get into the 70s this week.)
Good for you getting to the pool! The whole swimsuit thing even keeps me out of my own pool.
I think Cheetos at the pool or beach is the tastiest food ever. I love your photos--I always feel like I'm at every one of your family gatherings from your photos. I totally relate to you trying to dry the kids towels between each of their trips back and them having no appreciation for the effort. I do the same thing.
I'm so glad I was able see you and Michelle at the pool. It was equally as horrifying for me to be spotted (and photographed) in my swim ensemble. I keep seeing all the cute skinny moms in their fashionable swim suits and it makes me feel even more fat and frumpy. Oh the torture! Considering I've had my current swim ensemble for something like eight years, perhaps I would feel better if I went and found myself something cute. Is that even possible?
Anyhow, I look forward to seeing you at the pool again.
Your pool adventures continue to amaze me. You are a saintly mom of the year in my book.
YES food taste better at the pool & the beach. I love the beach... but not sitting in the sun- crazy I know.
I move the towels around to get them dry too- I can't stand the thought of trying to dry off with a wet towel.
I am actually loving the heat, from inside the air conditioned house... I just love the sun I guess. With all the rain I was ready for the sun this year- unheard of!
How sad that you're not going to Seven Peaks anymore :(... now I won't get to see you guys!!! But I totally understand!!! That new policy just plain sucks!!!!
I just feed my kids before we go and we only stay for a couple of hours, since I live so close, because I don't like having to go in and out to eat!!!!
PS-Happy Birthday tomorrow! Your card will be late, so I wanted to make sure you knew I remembered :)
It was seriously horrifying to be spotted in my swim ensemble! It's hard enough for me to be seen by you, my kids, and strangers -- being seen by someone else is too much to bear.
That said, we had a great time on Monday. And I reiterate that I would not be offended if you brought a book next time!
I'm glad you really appreciate how independent Whitney is. I'm envious.
"swim ensembles." What a great phrase.
I went to the 7-peaks-type place in Boise while visiting my parents and was HORRIFIED when the ticket-taker started rifling through my bag to check for illicit food. I felt violated. And to think that 7 Peaks now has that policy! I was BRAGGING to my mom & sister that our waterpark allows food. Harrumph.
I really am a fan of smaller pools. And there are no words to describe my jealousy that you have 2 independent swimmers. Mimi & Baby Jack must be watched without cease.
"If you aren't horrified at yourself in your swim ensemble, you must be Barbie," is my new adage.
xoxo
I am finally achieving some pool bliss, as my kids are more independent in the pool (though still need some supervision). I can at least choose if I want to get in the pool or sit nearby.
What a bummer about Seven Peaks, you guys always looked like you had such fun. At least you have a pool nearby that looks pretty good.
Happy Birthday!!!!!!
First....HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!
The grasshopper would have been too much for me. I don't know why, but they freak me out. Especially one that big!
I love the late afternoon sun too....it is my favorite!
I LOVE taking my kids to swim at my moms but i have a phobia about public pools. I don't like crowds and all those naked (well--half naked) bodies in the water just creep me out. I worry about germs, think too much about all the snot being snorted into the water...you get the idea. I am trying to get over this, for the sake of my kids.....but it is hard for me :)
We go to our neighborhood pool often plus we have neighbors who have a nice pool. Since the pool is close enough to walk we usually only take a few snacks - a box of wheat thins, mozzarella cheese sticks, capri suns, etc.
I like your towel pic! I need to be better about taling my camera to the pool but it's one extra thing to pack with the gear.
Oh, and my Kindle! I always pack that for the pool.
I was wondering if you guys were going to Seven Peaks. I figured not, but I forgot to ask you about it on Wednesday. I'm glad you found a suitable alternative. Is it the AF pool? We're starting swimming lessons there in a week and are planning to spend some time there.
Your fabulous documenting of life's little moments puts mine to shame! I love how you managed to capture the grasshopper...
Pool food always tastes so much better...What is it about water that makes everyone so famished?!--I enjoy eating parmesan flavored goldfish, but it really grinds my gears when the kids stick their wet hands inside the bag, thus bloating the crackers...
Unless it's a fly or mosquito, I try and let the bug outside. I would never dream of killing a lady bug or a praying mantis...both of which have been in my house...
Post a Comment