
We had fabulous steak and rolls made by Amy, a tasty spinach salad by Jana, potatoes so good I declared I wanted to marry them by Jenn, and dessert by me. (Michelle and Collette didn't have food assignments.)

Jenn had some photos from our 2007 Paris trip around for decoration, how nice was that?

Jenn also made this aesthetically pleasing and oh so tasty raspberry limeade complete with pebble ice. She's so good with details.

We had a long, leisurely dinner and were able to catch-up on the happenings in each others' lives, then we finally remembered to take a self-portrait (we haven't done that in a long time). Collette was exhausted (remember she'd been in the hospital the week before) and needed to go home, but that was fine because we originally didn't think she was going to be able to come at all.

For a going away present, we gave Michelle the next two book club books. (We had given them to her a week or so earlier so she wouldn't have to go buy them for her trip, that errand was on her to-do list.)

We continued to visit for another hour or so and had cookies and ice cream for dessert, sometimes simple is best right? We actually didn't end up discussion our book for the month (The House at Riverton) because Amy was the only one who'd finished it at that point. This is very rare for us, but we'd been emailing each other and knew we were all in the same boat so we didn't feel the pressure to rush through it in time for book club. Here it is over a week later and I'm STILL not done. It's a good book, but it's taking me awhile.
It was sad saying "Au Revoir" to Michelle, book club definitely won't be the same without her. Plus in November we'll be missing Michelle AND Amy because Amy will be spending 3 weeks in India!
**Do you enjoy hosting dinners?
Have you ever wanted to marry a potato dish?
Do you make fancy beverages?
Do you like simple desserts?
Have you read this book?**
Comment Window Tidbit: I was in bed by 9:59 last night but did not sleep until 4:00am!!! This is so frustrating and unexplainable to me. Now I'm shuffling around the house pretending to be a normal person. Will it ever end?
Have you ever wanted to marry a potato dish?
Do you make fancy beverages?
Do you like simple desserts?
Have you read this book?**
Comment Window Tidbit: I was in bed by 9:59 last night but did not sleep until 4:00am!!! This is so frustrating and unexplainable to me. Now I'm shuffling around the house pretending to be a normal person. Will it ever end?
23 comments:
I enjoy hosting dinners but I'm not good at the details- that special touch that makes it look so nice and inviting.
I could marry lots of potato dishes!
Fancy drinks are fun, but I don't make them on my own- again the details.
Simple is what I do best, so yes, simple desserts.
Haven't read this book. Hope you can finish it soon- maybe during all of the awake hours you have in the middle of the night.
mmmm, never thought of "marrying" a potato dish but now that you mention it....yep!
sorry about your sleep woes. I feel tired just thinking about your long night.
Oh dear oh dear on your sleep woes! Sleep deprivation is a very effective form of torture.
It was a fabulous farewell dinner--thanks everyone!!
Your lack of sleep is truly traumatizing to me! And your ability to do the normal person shuffle is amazing!
I finally finished the book- can't wait to talk about it.
I could drink limeade EVERY day! I have never thought about marrying my potatoes but they are a favorite!
i always want to make fancy drinks but don't know where to find recipes for them. i would love to know how she made that.
your book club is one of kind! amazing
I hope you at least got some reading in during those 6 sleepless hours!
I have a tea I make for bunco, etc. that is tea, leomonade concentrate, mint leaves, and tons of sugar. It always goes over well.
Your book club is inspiring!
Man, do you guys know how to have a party or what?! I am so impressed with the dinner, the dessert, the decorations...the flowers. What a fun night!
I love hosting dinners! Love, love, love it. It's not for the social factor, but for the planning and cooking and decorating. When I had my own place I loved having my close friends over and cooking for us. I really miss that, I really miss that a lot.
I am not a huge potato fan. I know, I know. I more of a rice and pasta girl.
I don't, but I love them! Though I try not to drink calories. I like to save them all up for bread and fat binges. It's healthier that way.
I do. I'm not a fan of most restaurant desserts because they've usually got so much going on -- caramel sauce over ice cream on top of a brownie with a molten lava center -- it's just too much for me.
Have not read that book. I need to get some new books. I was going to the library again for a while, but that ended up being more expensive than just buying my books!
You guys make going away look good.
So sorry about your lack of sleep!
The comment about marrying a potato dish reminds me of things we used to say in elementary school, "If you like it so much why don't you marry it?" Do you remember that snotty saying? So while I've never wanted to marry a potato dish, if I were a vegetable I would want to be a potato.
I feel badly for your insomnia. I have never suffered from it, so I don't know your pain, but it can't be pleasant. No sirree. It can't.
I miss hosting. I loved doing it. Someday, I'll have a place to do it again.
I'd never marry food. How are you supposed to eat it guilt free then? ;)
Occasionally we whip some fanciful food and beverage around here. "Everything Pink" (Kristi?), you should check out cdkitchen.com. They have an awesome assortment of recipes, and ooldes of beverage recipes. They even have a "Copy Cat" section with recipes that mimick menu items from restuarants!
I adore simple desserts, but love fancy ones, too. For instance, at Halloween we get Sugar Pie Baby pumpkins to paint, and then make pumpkin pies from scratch, along with the whipped cream and caramel sauce to top them with. The caramel always goes on with a fleurish.
The thing about Michelle going to France is that for me, nothing changes - I still get to read her beautiful blog. This is much harder for her book club friends.
If you want to marry the potatoes you better post the recipe so we can all have the goodness. We are big potato fans and I am always looking for a new way to prepare them. I do enjoy hosting dinner but don't do it enough.
How can a person not comment on your posts with such provoking questions?
I would love to host dinners. Especially if I was well-stocked with some beautiful linens and serving dishes.
Love simple desserts. They're the best kind of dessert (that photo is scrumptious).
I haven't read that book but I think you'd really enjoy The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet. I loved it. It'd make for a great book club discussion.
okay, would love the potato recipe! I wanted to marry potatos during my 1st pregnancy- KFC's with gravy.. and how did she make the drink?
zookeeper's wife is on my nightstand...
haven't heard of the book.. is it good?
Jill.....one of my friends had an interesting post today about having issues with uploading pictures to your blog. I am not sure if you are still having issues or not but I thought I would pass along this link just in case, thinking it might help.
I thought it was interesting! How exciting for you to go to Paris!!! I am so jealous!!!
http://bakowbabble.blogspot.com/2009/09/blogging-help-part-6-why-cant-i-upload.html
What a beautiful send off! It looks like yet another wonderful night for your book club.
I've said I'd like to marry arugula, but there are a few potato dishes that might give me reason to break up with arugula.
I loved both those books you guys are about to read!
Mmmmm...potatoes that good? I need details...recipe, please? I love potatoes, the way they're creamy, warm & just sit in your stomach and make you full, fat & happy.
Hosting? Hmmm, sadly, I love to do this, but feel inadequate with my small house. I am surrounded by friends with bigger, fancier houses & I feel intimidated to host in my comparably small, not fancy home.
That looks like such a cozy, fun night. I hope someday someone says I am a good hostess. I love that she put out the old Paris pictures. How thoughtful.
My dear friend Maryelena had this happen to her, and it was exhausting, it lasted like 2 years, and she is still not back to normal....OH, MY!! I love hosting dinners, if I had money to buy luscious ingredients and like Laurie said, linens and such, potatoes are good in tacos...potatoe tacos, I will make them for you one day, they are the very best!, I do love fancy beverages, and have the recipe for a great great one called CONGA, my dad's and Iove complicated and simple desserts, both, and no i have not read that book....
This sleep issue is bothersome! What is up? Not good. Jason has been having problems with sleep for about 4 years now - but has found two natural things to help when he needs it - Rescue and Deep Sleep (these promote a restful sleep) and wake up refreshed....
You get them at the health food store. Can't hurt - might want to try it...Sleep issues are the worst!
So fun to have your bookclub before Michelle left. You guys have an amazing book club!! Dinner looks delish! I can honestly say I have never wanted to marry a potato dish - but I would be interested in the recipe and future engagement!
Simple desserts are the best in my book!
I love hosting dinners but rarely do it anymore, except for the basic family get-togethers.
I don't know which I want more at this very minute: the raspberry limeade or the cookies and ice cream. My mouth is watering at both!
It was nice to see what I missed. I am SO glad I had a bit of energy to stop by for even a short time. Can you believe I am sick...AGAIN! Not the same stuff, but a cold nonetheless. I can't get enough energy to do much of anything. Ah well! I did, however, finish the book AND "Run" by Ann Patchett. I am now reading the book I got from our Christmas exchange. Intriguing thus far.
I miss Michelle already! Can't wait for October 7th!
Post a Comment