Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sunday Thoughts

Yesterday's Stake Activity Day activity (that sounds redundant) ended up being so fantastic, it was totally worth the trauma of having to get up early and dressed in Sunday clothes on a rainy Saturday morning.


I felt the Spirit as soon as I walked into the chapel and saw over 150 young girls sitting there. We had a really good turn out from our ward (about 20 girls) and as we sat down together I immediately found myself choking back tears.

We sang "I Am A Child of God" for the opening song, and of course I couldn't get through it. Then they had one of the girls share her testimony, then to finish me off completely they had a very poised 11 year old girl sing "Daughter of a King" (click the link to hear it).

Daughter of a king
the Father's royalty
heir to His divinity
He's calling your name
to come and take your place
before His thrown
He has always known
what He created you to be
Daughter of a King

It's a good thing I always carry tissues in my church bag or I would have been a snotty mess. (I was passing tissues down the row to the other leader who was crying even more than I was; she's a real softy yet is never prepared with tissues.)


We attended 5 sessions (rotations)--Leading Like A Princess (learning to lead music), Daughter of a King (story, plus journal writing), Princess Diaries (decorating the journals they were given), Princess Preparation (a class about modesty and keeping the Sabbath Day Holy), and Minding Your Princess Manners (a class about how to treat others).


This is a photo of the girls swarming to choose the papers and jewels for their Princess Diaries; this was serious business!


All the classes were fun and informative, and they gave the girls candy and a souvenir-type thing from each class. They were so excited about their little journals and their "Daughter of a King" pencils (I would have been too). I loved seeing some of them choose to write "Daughter of a King" on their journals.


When all the sessions were over we gathered together to eat cake, check out each ward's table displays and to watch a slide show with photos of the girls at Activity Day gatherings.

The whole event was so well organized, spiritually uplifting and a real eye-opener for me. Being in the chapel with so many young girls (ages 8-12) was powerful. I felt the buzzing of potential in that room. These girls are still so innocent, hopeful and have their pure, white futures ahead of them, so the message that they are literally daughters of a king is crucial for them to learn. (Why is it that we can only really understand this when we're older? Oh cruel fate.) I'm so glad I know this.

**Do you know that song?
Have you ever gotten choked
up upon walking in a room?
What do you wish you would have known at that age?**

Comment Window Tidbit:
I wore a short-sleeved shirt (much to my chagrin) to church today and didn't overheat or get a headache...I'm finally figuring out what works.

15 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I must be a softie too, I cried just reading this. What an important message. I am glad there were do many girls there to hear it.

michelle said...

What a great activity!

It sounds like the perfect thing for those who are getting ready to leave Primary and go into YW. This is such a crucial message and I'm glad they had such a good turn out!

I love your thoughts on all of those young girls, innocent, pure, and hopeful. No wonder you got choked up.

At their age, I wish I would have really understood that the commandments are for our protection and that obedience brings happiness.

Kathy Maher said...

This was so beautiful to read and I found myself crying as well. I'm sure all the girls were as touched as you were because of the leader's preparation and the fun things they took home.

amy gretchen said...

I have never heard of an big stake activity for 8-11 girls like this before and sounds like such a spiritual experience for the girls.

The song is really beautiful and can see why with their testimonies you got all coked up.

I think the more experiences and struggles we go through help us to realize more and more the reality of our Heavenly Father and that we need him daily.

Amber said...

I can tear up really easily--I used to be the stoic non-cryer. I loved that song when our YW sang it. When I was a Laurel adv. I cried every time one of our YW bore her testimony, or they all sang! I wish EFY had been something I knew about when I was a teen, and that there were more programs for YW. I just remember New BEginnings, and Girls Camp. Which should be enough, but they have so much more now, or so it seems.

Rebekah said...

I would love to work with this age group one day. I wish all of these girls could really understand what potential they have, and how much their parents and leaders love them!

At that age, I wish I would have known that the Lord's favor has nothing to do with the trappings of mortality.

Charlotte said...

150 girls?!? I have trouble visualizing such a turn-out. It sounds like such a great activity, and the "buzzing of potential" is such a neat description. I'm blessed to have had leaders and parents who taught me those very truths from a young age; it without a doubt changed who I was then and who I'm turning out to be.

jenn said...

Should I be concerned about your emotional state? Not that the activity didn't sound amazing and worth the tears, but not the Jill I'm used to.

I want to go give the program to our activity leaders right now- what a perfect event for this age group and a beautiful message.

melanie said...

I love the theme and all the classes. Perfect for girls that age. They are so energetic and pure, I can imagine the potential in the room too. Glad the Sunday dress and early morning didn't bust your spirit.

Lene said...

That sounds like an amazing activity.

Denise said...

I also love your description, "buzzing of potential," and am envious that your ward has 20 girls in that age group. Imagine that! Sounds like a fantastic activity and one that will stick in the girls' minds and hearts for a long time to come.

becca said...

wow...what a great idea! I love the theme (have never heard that song though)...and yes I OFTEN get choked up just walking in a room :)

Noelle just stared activity days and I am hoping and praying that it will be a great experience for her.

Lisa R.D. said...

I cry at almost anything... and reading your post today was no exception. Last night in FHE we talked to our older two kids (6 and 8) about where their sister is coming from (due to arrive any day now) and reading this made me even more emotional than I already am-- thinking about the responsibility and opportunity to raise another choice daughter of a King makes me feel more than a bit overwhelmed. I love what you said though, as we get older we realize who we are and what abilities and potential we have ourselves as daughters of a king--so as much as I feel overwhelmed, I also feel strong and capable and ready to do it.

Sounds like a fun activity... I need to keep it in my mental files for some future event (that I may or may not ever have the opportunity to plan or carry out :)).

Natasha said...

Intereting to me because D.O.K. is a women's group in our church!

brooke said...

My calling is Stake primary board over activity days and we had our big activity on Saturday as well (same day as my Grandpa's funeral--of course!)

This was so cool reading about someone else's activity and getting ideas for next year! This sounded amazing. I love the theme and all the activities and I like that it was fun and spiritual.

This is why I love blogging.