Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Gathering

I am dropping the "Book Club" part of my title this month because we didn't end up talking about the book because half the group hadn't finished it. Summer is a crazy time, so I really don't know why we ever think things are going to be less busy when school gets out. This was just a gathering of friends to catch up on life and celebrate a couple birthdays...not a bad reason to get together really.


Collette hosted us at her lovely house and set this fine table for us, complete with Kara Chocolate Bars.


Jenn brought these beautiful sunflowers.


Hooray for a self-portrait!


The girls put on quite a spread for dinner, minus help from Amy and I since we were the birthday girls (our birthdays are 2 days apart). We had Cafe Rio-inspired pork salads with my favorite chips and salsa from Los Hermanos AND they had a bag of pebble ice!


Writing this now is making me feel nostalgic for this meal. It was the kind of good that you don't want to end.


Miss Savannah was there in a cute, summer ensemble.


She didn't mind posing for a self-portrait with me.


Michelle brought these tasty chocolates from her Seattle trip.


She also brought us all a package of divine twine and let us choose the color we wanted (I had to choose red, but want all the colors). I love this stuff and have wanted to get a huge spool of it but haven't ever been able to commit to a color or the price. Maybe having a 10 yard sample will whet my appetite and help point me in the right direction.


Jenn did some baby whispering and got some giggles out of Savannah.


But she also got poop shot all over her shirt and down her pants! Apparently Savannah is a gassy baby and blows-out several outfits a day. Jana was exasperated, but Collette was quick with the carpet cleaner.


Michelle made her glorious Ding Dong cake for us! I'm usually such a white cake fan that I'm surprised by my love of this cake, but I am truly in love with it.


Poor Jana had to make an early exit thanks to Savannah. (What's up with babies and bedtimes anyway?)


We gave Amy a $100 gift certificate for the mall.


And they gave me $100 to use at XPedx because that store doesn't have gift cards, but that's what I wanted.


I'm happy to report that I went to XPedx today and was able to replenish my supply of super-thick card stock, linen finish envelopes, small padded envelopes, medium padded envelopes, and 5x7 sized clear envelopes (for photos) without guilt and under budget at $96! I was giddy about this and relieved as well because my supplies had been running low.

**Are you ever nostalgic for a certain meal?
Do you have flowers on your table?
Where would you want a $100 gift card to?**

Comment Window Tidbit: My left foot has a split heel AND a sore big toe, plus it's the foot that's a bit gimpy anyway...I'm a mess.

15 comments:

michelle said...

Your self-portrait with Savannah is way too cute!!

Dinner was the kind of goodness you don't want to end. I guess that's how I ended up eating too much and being so uncomfortably full that I couldn't even have a sliver of cake...

I'm thrilled that you've already been to Xpedx and that you were able to stock up on so many supplies! No one needs them like you do.

Charlotte said...

What a fun gathering! I've always been a little jealous at the book club gatherings you girls have—it always looks like so much fun! I'm glad you made good use of your XPedx money and could stock up. If I had a $100 gift card, I'd use it in Powell's Books.

And I'm currently hopelessly nostalgic for roast and mashed potatoes.

Anna said...

I'm impressed with the correct spelling of 'whet your appetite'. ;)
I love XPedX. I could spend a lot of money in that store.

Ashley said...

It's funny that you get giddy at XPedX, but I can see why. That twine does look very appealing though I don't know how I'd use it. I am jealous of your pebble ice--I've been craving it even since I was spoiled with it in the hospital. I bought trays to try to make it at home but it's not the same. You are lucky to live by Sonic!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

That is so you, to spend your gift so that you can gift other people through good mail. I'm glad you have the means to continue on . . . long live good mail.

Melinda said...

That get together sounds so fun and perfect. I love those salads and makes me want to make them for dinner. I really need to try that cake of Michelles. Maybe I will make it for my own bday cake.

The poop on the carpet made me laugh and remember back when Blake did that at the same age. Jason got out the video camera to document it so that we would have proof of the massive amount of poo everywhere and all over the carpet. It was crazy.

becca said...

What a fun thing to do, and I love that you get together even if you don't talk about the book. Fun to celebrate birthdays!

I HATE when my heels split...they take forever to heal and are so dang painful! I have used superglue before and although it stings for a minute, it works to keep the crack from getting bigger.

Natasha said...

Oh my, I don't know if I am ready for poop blowouts again! This gathering looks like a wonderful way to celebrate your birthday.

Laurie said...

Oh I've been dealing with a split heal this week too. It's the worst. I gotta take better care of my feet!

$100 to spend at a store...I love new clothes...maybe somewhere like H&M would be fun. I have actually never heard of XPedx. I assumed it was a shoe store at first!

Courtney said...

I am nearly always nostalgic for a place called Mexico Lindo. This nostalgia will never be fulfilled, unless I get to go to Germany again. It's owned by a guy who is from the Texan side of the Mexico border, but lives in Germany now. Best Mexican Ever.

There are no flowers on my table. I keep meaning to go out and cut some of the Shasta Daisies, but never do.

Right now, I would want my gift card to be for pinupgirlclothing.com or maybe H&M. Maybe PaperSource.

I know all about baby blowouts. We've seen some doosies around here. Once involving the need to hose out a car seat before I would even consider trying to get the cover off to put it in the machine.

I really really hope Michelle was able to stop by The Confectional, across from Pike's Place Market. They have this fabulous cheesecake truffle with a bit of kick to it.

DeeAnn said...

My food nostalgia is for my mom's beef stroganof. Love it!

I try to keep roses from my garden on the dining room table whenever possible.

$100 gift card would have to be to Barnes & Noble. I can NEVER have too many books waiting in the wings.

So glad you had such a fun book club/birthday bash. I wish our book clubbers were more like yours. Maybe I will have to drop some hints...tee hee!

Sandy said...

What a blessing to be able to have good friends and spend a fun evening with them!

I love flowers on my table, but hardly ever think to do it. $100 gift card to Target or Joann's.

Your XPedx shopping spree photo makes me a little giddy. Love paper supplies!

Good luck with your foot. Oh dear...

jenn said...

Kelly will thank you for dropping the book club part of the title- he doesn't think we should be called a book club anymore. I told him it wasn't your fault that I didn't read and that we always talk books in some way.

I LOVE your XPedx stash- so, so happy you could stock up on some things that make you happy and, like neighbor Jane, I love that it will be used to make others happy too!

Bond Girl 007 said...

ohhhh xpedex......ohhhhhh that cake is calling my name, I think michelle do it to celebrate my belated birthday one day! it is soooooooo goood!

you probably won't read this, it is too old.

Rebekah said...

sorry about the absence, it's been more than a rough summer...

i miss cafe rio, so sad. i'm in such a utah-nostalgic mood right now. :(

that self-portrait is adorable.

i love that twine! i wish i knew what to do with it so i could buy some. ha! of all the colors, i have to admit that i like the classic red the best.

ok, i've never heard of XPedx. :? i remember going to a stationery store when i was little, funny that those really don't exist anymore thanks to office depot, etc.