Monday, July 19, 2010

The Return of The Great Landini


Last week was Landon's first time at scout camp and the first time he's been away from all of us for 6 days! I felt anxious the week before he left as we gathered and borrowed everything he would need. It was a huge blessing that the only things we needed to buy for him were a pair of hiking boots (on sale at Big 5 for $19.99), bug spray, sun screen, socks and treats. A friend from church had a great hiking pack, sleeping bag (ours is too big and not as warm), and neckerchief for him to borrow (they really saved our bacon!). By the time Monday morning rolled around, I was feeling at peace about him going.


Upon going through the camp information packet, I was very happy to see that we could send him mail while he was there. I immediately emailed all of my family members plus Michelle and Amie so that Landon would have support from home in the form of good mail while he was gone. I even sent him something before he left so it would get there early in the week.


It turns out that of the 12 pieces of mail delivered at camp during the week, he received 11 of them! What the? Granted, several of the boys had their dads there with them, so their families didn't feel the need to write, but still. He ended up receiving things from my parents, Lori, Adam, Amy & the girls, Robyn, James, Lucas, Randy and several from me and Whitney. He was thrilled of course!


This is the drawing Adam sent to Landon.


I stayed home all day Saturday so I'd be here when he returned (I wasn't sure what time he'd be back), and was baking chocolate-chip cookies when he finally arrived home around 4:00pm.


I made a new typewriter message for his return.


This is him upon returning, he was sweaty, filthy, happy and chatty.


I was highly disturbed by the state of his finger nails. He said they looked worse than were because he got dye on them when working on his Indian Lore Merit Badge. (I made sure he had an old tooth brush to scrub them with when he finally showered.)


Speaking of merit badges, he completed 10 of them!


Randy came home (he'd been working) about a half hour after Landon had arrived and gave him a bear hug which immediately reduced Landon to tears; it was the sweetest thing. I asked him why he didn't cry when I hugged him and he said, "It's the both of you here now."

He spent the next hour and a half telling us all about his camp adventures, and got choked up a couple times while sharing some of the spiritual moments. He had Randy and I both in tears as he talked about the experience of helping another troop retire 16 flags.

We are so grateful he had such a good experience and that everyone was safe and well while so far from home (they were 5 hours away in Idaho).

Yesterday at church, various leaders that had gone to scout camp came up to Randy and I said things like, "You've got a remarkable young man here" and "I fell in love with this boy, he is the most respectful young man I've ever met" and "Maybe I should send my sons mail when they go to camp." It was quite touching for us as parents.

**Thoughts??**

Comment Window Tidbit: We're heading out to Lori's work carnival today and I'm trying to mentally prepare for the sweating that will be happening. Heaven help me!

22 comments:

patsy said...

what the heck...

NOw I'm crying!

Ann On and On... said...

Until you've been away (perhaps a bit lonely) and received "good mail" you have no idea the impact it can make on your day. Landon must have been grinning from ear to ear.

The photo of Landon and Randy is priceless.

Mrs. McDaniel said...

Love, love your posts! Glad Landon had a great time at camp! I would have never thought to send mail to camp~what an awesome idea! Doesn't it make your heart beam when people compliment you on your kids? You & Randy are doing a great job raising your kiddos!:)

Bugg's mama said...

That is so sweet!

Charlotte said...

You have one remarkable boy there!

Alisa said...

I love your descriptions of his homecoming. What a wonderful experience for everyone!

Elizabeth said...

He does seem like such a great kid! Well done!

brooke said...

I was going to comment and say how lucky Landon is to have you as a mom and then I got to the end and realized how lucky you are to have him as a son--win win!

Melinda said...

Ohh, it is supposed to be so darn hot today! You are so nice to go!

This is so darn sweet. The picture of him in tears with Randy is unforgettable.

everything pink! said...

brooke is right, win win!

that photo is one of the best you have ever taken. a story teller for sure.

Anna said...

What a GREAT boy you have! I got teary eyed looking at the picture of him and Randy. So sweet.

amy gretchen said...

Landon is such a sweet kid, I can only imagine how much he was missed at home. Bella's been gone just a few hours now and I already miss her presence.

Loving all the good mail he received. The "bear hug" tear jerker.

Ashley said...

I need to have a girl SOON (like, 10 years ago) so she can marry Landon. I love that boy. You should write a parenting manual. I'm glad you blog so I can try to steal your tricks for raising good kids. Though I fear a large part of it is genetics and example!

Price Cream Parlor said...

Weepy! Honestly - tears! What a special bond you guys have! Great that you captured your thoughts and photos for him to see later. I hate it when my littles are gone - but it is wonderful when they return enriched and uplifted!!! Blessings indeed!!!

I love when others compliment parents on their children. We don't get enough of that. I told a MOm in my new ward how much I appreciate her son being friends with my little and how I loved this and this about him. She went and told him. He was so happy and excited that someone had said something about him that he thanked me! Honestly - we need to do that for one another more. Parenthood is hard - nice to hear that once in awhile - AND nice for our littles to hear that from adults as well!!

{natalie} said...

your son always impresses me and i don't even know you guys in real life.

i love that he got so much mail and had such a great time.

j said...

this makes my heart hurt...in a good way. i hope you know i take notes on your parenting so i can try to raise my boys like you have raised landini. :) he is such a good kid- and i'm so impressed by your family in general.

so great that you sent him mail at camp!!! i have never heard of that and i bet he loved it!

michelle said...

I too was surprised that you could send mail to Scout Camp, I never thought of that!

I just love the way you are teaching him about thoughtfulness. He sees it in action on a daily basis, he is the recipient of it and a giver as well! Receiving a compliment about your child is a wonderful thing. I agree with Lisa, we should all do that more often.

When I got to the picture of Randy hugging him, I could tell he was teary. What he said about both of you being there is really poignant, isn't it? So important to have both parents. He is such a tenderhearted boy, I love that.

Jessica said...

Awww, how sweet. My little guy just missed the cutoff to be old enough to go to camp this year, so I will be the nervous one next year.

Jenny said...

I had no idea that I could send mail to my son when he was at scout camp. I always hide special cards through out his pack for him. Even hid some extra treats one year for all the boys.

I will have to keep this in mind when my youngest goes to scout camp.

Your a great mom!

Michelle said...

Good grief! I can't believe I'm tearing up, too!

I'm so glad he had a wonderful, spiritual, safe time. I think his homecoming is one of those spectacularly rewarding parenting moments.

Rebekah said...

I love how dirty he is, like the good times and hard work were rubbed into his skin each day. His nails, mama, maybe he should get your birthday pedicure gift card? Ha!

One of the things that I like about Landon is that he pays attention to things, and that he knows how to express what he has seen and felt in a meaningful way. That's a great character trait to posses, especially for a young person.

Daniela said...

What a beautiful and touching picture of father and son! He must have missed you guys. It is a great satisfaction when people compliment you on how good your kids are.
Be proud! In a good way!!!