Thursday, September 02, 2010

Sunshine Day

I met Claudia and her boys at Thanksgiving Point on Tuesday around 11:30. Originally she was going to have the friend she is staying with drop her off there, but she ended up being able to borrow a car instead.


Normally it costs $10 to go to the gardens, but every Tuesday in August was only $2, so the 4 of us were able to get in for less than the cost of one regularly priced ticket! (I find the cost rather scandalous, that's why I don't usually get to go there.)


I loved it that they had this scripture at the beginning of the gardens.


I gasped when I saw that Claudia was wearing these shoes to hike all over the gardens, but it turns out she had a pair of flip-flops in her bag of tricks.


As always, I was totally smitten with the flowers and took many photos.


I love catching them as they are getting ready to bloom, when they're all tucked up and look like cloth.


I'm always drawn to yellow flowers.


I enjoy water features.


The Koi were out in full force for the food people were throwing them. I had never seen so many in one place or swimming all over each other to get to the surface.


I gave the boys a quarter to buy some fish food, then they worked Claudia over for several more quarters.


Jorvik caught this tiny dragon fly (and possibly maimed its wing).


This is the only self-portrait we took all day. I have loads of photos of Claudia and the boys, but only one of the two of us.


I love this view from the bench we sat on.


It smelled so fragrant with the roses in bloom.


The boys were both wearing their medals from catching a chicken at the ward rodeo.


Lovely no?


The boys were rather obsessed with catching grasshoppers, and were quite good at catching them (so was Claudia).


After a couple of hours we ended up on the grassy hill near the water fall and took a break.


The boys were all over Claudia, but ran back and forth to the water fountain many times so we were able to get little snippets of conversation in then.


I would lose my lunch if I rolled down a hill like this now.


I always enjoy moments like these.


We were ravenous by the time we finally got to The Pizza Factory for lunch at 3:30. We were the only people in the whole restaurant.


Claudia used some reverse psychology to get the boys to "want" to sit at the booth across from us instead of right on top of us, but it was still lunch interruptus to the max, then I had to dash off to make it home in time for soccer practice.

**Do you think $10 is a tad pricey?
Do you enjoy photographing flowers?
Do you like the smell of roses?
Do you miss being able to have
uninterrupted conversations?**

Comment Window Tidbit: I slept badly last night after having a week of good sleep. I can't figure it out!

10 comments:

Ashley said...

If you are only going to have one self-portrait, it might as well be one as great as that--you both look beautiful! You taunt me with talk of Pizza Factory. I love that place. And yes trying to have a conversation with kids around is just downright painful!

Ashley said...

And I LOVE the crayon banner! Makes me want to be an elementary school student again.

shannon said...

Those gardens are just amazing! What a picture perfect day that was! The colors were so vivid!

I had to laugh over Claudia's choice in footwear...It's funny to me that she wouldn't have just gone with the flipflops from the start...Michelle's mom wouldn't have even brought flipflops...I'm telling you, that girl wears the fanciest yet most impracticle shoes in the world!

michelle said...

I love all of these photos! Such a cute self-portrait. And the dragonfly is a good capture! I always love your flower photos, and I do enjoy taking them (but I like yours better).

I do think $10 is a bit pricey, but I would splurge for myself every once in awhile. It's taking the whole family that would make me wince.

I so miss being able to have uninterrupted conversations! (But I have high hopes for tomorrow...)

Melinda said...

I would do so much better in the sleep dept if I would just go to bed earlier.

10$ is kind of a rip off, I think. There is no reason for it to be so much. I love smelling flowers of any kind and I am learning to photograph flowers. I really need to learn how to use our SLR camera.

Will I ever have uninterrupted conversations? I don't know.

Price Cream Parlor said...

I think that $10 is expensive! Especially if you were to bring the entire crew. Thank heavens for Tuesdays! Was it so crowded then?

Claudia's boys have fantastic hair!

It's hard to play catch up in the conversation dept when you have littles running around! Looks like a stunning day though!

{natalie} said...

it sounds like a good day to me. your photos are always enviable. i love the details you find.

ps i do think that place is expensive. i've thought of buying a family year pass but we live a bit too far for it to be worthwhile.

Anonymous said...

I rolled down a hill recently and literally had to lay there for a couple of minutes waiting for my brain to stop rolling around in my head! Why does age do that to us!!?!

Robyn said...

I do think $10 is pricey for one ticket but I guess it takes a lot of work to maintain those beautiful grounds. I love your photos of the flowers! You and Claudia look great in your photo. I only dream of uninterrupted conversations!!!

Rebekah said...

The beauty of these photos reminds me of your Paris pictures. So delightful.

Koi cuh-reep me out, especially the white ones.

I never made it to Thanksgiving Point for the same $10 reason.