The little Missy has been talking about playing an instrument for years, but now that she's in 5th grade and Elementary Orchestra is an option we've finally taken the plunge (i.e., started paying for it). Part of her interest in this is that cousins Bella and Megan both play the violin and have been for quite awhile. We opted for the viola because Adam told us that violists are less common so scholarships are more abundant for them...say no more! So though it felt like I was signing my life away today at the music store as I paid my down payment, insurance fee and signed the contract for the next 18 months worth of payments, I am choosing to see this as the start of her college education. Hopefully she will love playing the viola and will get good enough to get a scholarship someday. If not, we'll have to consider it a public service donation.
**Have you ever had to sign one of those contracts?
Do you think about scholarships?
Did you ever have a scholarship?**
Comment Window Tidbit: So Tuesdays and Thursdays will find me working 7:30 to 3:15, picking Whitney and Madison up from school at 3:30, dropping Madison off at home, then running Whitney back to the junior high for Orchestra by 4:00. It's like driving a tortuously slow (25mph with cops all over) circle in a hurry. Aargh. I'm going to have to find my happy place with this new schedule. Plus next week her beloved art classes resume on Wednesdays at 5:00! I really don't know how people with more than 2 kids manage it all.
13 comments:
Thrilling! Enjoy the ride.
It has been hectic for me having 3 kids in 3 different places this school year.
I love that Whitney is so enthusiastic about orchestra. Luci played violin for two years and I was sad when she decided not to pursue it. The first year our neighbor loaned her a violin he had outgrown. The 2nd year we purchased one. Griffin is on his 2 nd year of guitar lessons now and I have been very clear to him that the one he has is the one he will have for a long time.
I did think about scholarships and I did have a scholarship. I think of all the musically talented people out there and am glad their parents paid the price on those instrument contracts. So, thank you in advance Jill.
I think your happy place is going to have to be from a really good audio book.
This is awesome, I was never brave enough to do strings!
Yay! I was thinking the same thing as Adam as soon as I saw "viola" in the title. All the orchestras Max has been in are short on viola players (and cellists).
I do think about scholarships, and I did have one (academic).
I have signed those contracts multiple times.
Your driving schedule reminds me of last year, when I had to pick Max up from swim team every day. I wondered the same thing - how do people with lots of kids ever manage??
We signed one of those--since Lindsey almost never practiced it was doubly painful. Needless to say, we don't do violin anymore just piano.
My BIL plays viola...he lives in SLC right now, so if you ever need some advice or help, I know he would be great at that! He went to a conservatory, but had some wrist challenges and had to quit. The viola is larger, so can cause wrist problems, so now he plays the violin.
I hope Whitney enjoys it!!
Orchestra is a great experience-- but hard on the ears of family members...
YES- the driving schedule looks SCARY. I have driven similarly & it's rough. Now you know why so many moms are not scared when their teenagers started driving-- we are just desperate.
Managing it all with 5 is hard and stressful. Lots going on. I love my calendar in my iphone. It's a life saver.
We haven't rented a instrument yet but I am sure we will in the future.
I think about scholarships for sure! Blake's goal is to have one since Jason had a full ride up at Ricks and then because he was a Spori scholar there (one of the top 7 students of Ricks) he got a full scholarship to BYU. Blake wants to beat out Jason and I hope he does!
I feel like an idiot. I do not know the difference between a violin and a viola. I will be googling that. I wish I was more musical. I don't think you can go wrong investing in a skill....and even if she doesn't end up playing it forever, the musical training will always stay with her!!
Oh brother...I am dreading what is coming when it comes to running kids all over the place......
I'm sorry for the new crazy schedule. This is one thing that I dread about the school year... Good luck!
I wish I was pushed into trying strings! I love listening to them! I wish that I was able to play them! How exciting!
Signing those contracts make me crazy. I had one little playing the violin one year...
yessssssssss that is very very cool! CONGRATULATIONS!
I cracked up over Patsy's comment. Yes, we ARE desperate! I cannot WAIT for Max to get his license!!
There is all kind of research that indicates that playing a musical instrument improves math, problem solving, logical thinking skills, etc so maybe it might also help with an academic scholorship?
Post a Comment