
Today was our beach house spectacular with fellow bloggers Becca and Laurie. They spoiled us by sharing the beautiful beach house, having all kinds of snacks, plenty of cold drinks, and ordering out for tasty sandwiches. It was all so good, and just so fun for me to meet these two friends that I feel like I already know and to see their kids in person as well. It's a bizarre thing to be so familiar with people, but never have met them before (kind of like when Jenny and Angie showed up at my house back in July and it was like "nice to meet you, how did that new quilt work out for your bed?" Strange, but cool.
The kids totally loved being at the beach. There were tons of surfers out today so Landon just stood at the edge of the ocean watching them for the longest time. One of the things I've noticed here is that there are a whole lot of men out and about during the day (unlike at home where it's usually young mothers with little kids). I don't know if everyone here is independently wealthy or if they all have sugar mamas, but they can surf, hang out at Starbucks, shop in one of the gazillion gorgeous malls, or drive their pricey vehicles all over the place. It's very different from what I'm used to seeing.
After a full day at the beach house, Claudia drove us over to Huntington Beach where we got an ice cream at DQ then took a walk out onto the pier. It was very windy and even a bit nippy, but a fun thing to do. I feel like I'm on another planet completely, the air even feels different to me.

Also, I feel like I'm in an immersion Spanish class and I'm doing pretty well. Claudia and her husband only speak Spanish to their kids so we're hearing a lot at the house. Landon actually said yesterday that if he had an extra $10 he'd hire a translator so he could understand Alexei (the 3 year old). I love it that I can understand a lot of what is being said, but hate it that I can't really speak it. I can communicate a little bit with Alexei, but I feel like I should be able to speak better (I took 3 years of Spanish at BYU). Fortunately he understands English too, but he talks a mile a minute in Spanish then looks at us and only sees our clueless faces.
18 comments:
How fun. I'm jealous that you get to go to California, meet some blogging friends and go to the beach! Tomorrow we're leaving for Idaho for our vacation. Yay. Four whole days in the Jem State.
It's funny that you should mention the men who are doing anything but working during the day. It always strikes me as strange when I see a man and a woman shopping together on a week day. It's not right, I tell you!
Oh, and Jill, the air is different. It's infused with moisture, but just the perfect amount. I love the air in California. When I visit home the first thing I do when I leave the airport is take a nice long breath of ocean air at the Oakland Airport. It's delicious!
Glad your having a great time, I too love the air there. I definitely get the moisture here but I miss the morning fog rolling in off the ocean. (I grew up in San Diego)
I'm so glad that you are having fun. I love California!!! How are you finding any time to blog?
I'm impressed that you can understand Spanish after 3-years. Almost my whole family speaks, I have taken several years, and still I cannot speak and only understand a little.
Can't wait to hear more about your trip!
Sounds like you are having a great time--I'm so glad! Did you know Claudia before? Or who were the two you hadn't met? It does feel strange how you feel you know a person so well even though you have never met them.
I hope you continue to have a great time. Disneyland will be great . . .don't forget to have some beignets and mint julips at New Orleans Square, right outside Pirates of the Carribean.
That picture of us turned out nicely, except I'm wondering if my stomach really looks like that!?! BTW, you look great in that coral color.
We had a great time visiting. I hope the kids felt like they had enough time to play once the sun came out. They were CUTE.
That pier is always windy, but definitely worth it to check out "Surf City USA." That is what they are calling HB these days.
We do have an abundance of men out, who make pit stops at the beach. They always come up to the edge of the sand and stare, smoke a cigarette, and then leave. Lots of them are creepy, and I wonder what kind of a life they have.
What a great photo of you gals! (I too love that color on you...it looks great.) I too am jealous! Isn't it funny how being on vacation you feel as though you are living in a fairy tale? When we were there in July I told Doug I didn't want to leave because it was too good to be true.
I'm so glad you are having a great time, and even more glad that you found a way to blog! Now that I'm back online, I was dying to know what you were up to. (By the way, I wanted to call you on Sunday when I knew you would be driving, but I never got a chance. Now I don't dare interrupt a fabulous excursion like the ones you had today!)
I'm thrilled that Landon and Whitney get to experience the beach -- everyone needs to do that. I love the beach and the ocean. The surf is the most soothing sound to me. And how fun for you to meet some more blogging friends!
I hope you all have a wonderful time and enjoy every minute of it. And I miss you tons.
Sorry but who is the 4th person? You mentioned Becca and Laurie... just wondering.
It's fun to see you at the beach. It's almost like you are part of my world, being there.
Looks like a gorgeous fall day to me. Have a fun time!
I had such a great time at the beach and it was so wonderful meeting you and Claudia...Both my girls fell asleep in the car and slept the whole way home. It was a big day for them. Noelle was in a much better mood once we got home and talked to her dad all night about her new friend Whitney. She even told me that she thinks we should name our next baby Whitney!
How fun to meet everyone. It is very hard to hear where you are going and not want to tag along. THose are all of the old stomping grounds where we would go and I actually miss it more than I thought reading your blogs. Have fun.
Weird....I didn't comment?
I hope you guys had a great day. I never did talk to Becca to get the rundown. But good company and good food couldn't have been too bad.
I hope you have a great day at Disneyland.
I'm glad you're having a fun time on your trip! I have to say I was disappointed when Michelle said you wouldn't be at Marc's party because I want to meet you in person!
what a wonderful photo of ya'll.
so great. love reading about your trip
I think it's cool you were able to meet laurie and becca. I agree, it's strange to think you know of them, about them, but never met them in person.
Glad you guys had a fun day at the beach. Is it warm? I have noticed that about CA or beaches in general that there are more men about. Wonder why that is?
Can't wait to hear more.
All of the ladies in the photo look just wonderful!
I envy your time spent at the beach and away from the every day hubbub of life.
Dana :)
I totally want to be the sketchy person who doesn't work during the day. Like the surfing men. Sigh.
You are so lucky, I haven't been to California in years. The beach sounds wonderful. It's getting me excited to go to Miami in December.
I too think it's odd when I see men in the middle of the day. I guess I just figure they should be working or in class or something. Only moms should be out.
I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip. I can't wait to see more pictures!
Ooooohhhhhhh!!!! What fun you are having. I agree with you and Amy, the air is different and oh how I miss it.
I hope you have a great time and make the most of it and laugh lots and eat lots and see lots, etc...
Post a Comment