Friday, January 12, 2007

My Little Secret

I feel like it's time to reveal a little-known fact about me. One that is somewhat embarrassing and amusing, but definitely true. Other than the fact that I am something of a nerd (that's no secret) I'm a dedicated night-time reader and do so with my hands-free headlight! Please don't pee yourself as you laugh at how fruity I look with this on, I'm publicly humiliating myself with the hopes that some of you may benefit from this information.


You see, a few years ago my friend Amie got headlights for her kids for Christmas. I thought this was a great idea and got some for my kids too (in the camping section for $6). My kids LOVED them and used them every night to read. I was always frustrated that I couldn't read in bed once Randy came to bed so I decided to try the headlight too. It was marvelous. Now I could read in bed late into the night until I was finally groggy enough to sleep and Randy was undisturbed! Brilliant!

Granted he laughs at me every time he sees me wearing this thing, but so what. Also, my brother Adam knows about my affection for the headlight and always sings "Turn On Your Headlight" to the tune of Neil Diamond's "Turn On Your Heartlight," Randy sings this to me too.


So if you struggle with reading in bed at night and would like to have the light shine directly in your line of vision with the benefit of being hands-free why not get a headlight today? Ha. (Note: Photos were taken at 1:00am, hence my frightening appearance. Cut me some slack, I'm doing this for the greater literary good.)

**Do you like to read late into the night?
Do you think you'll give this a whirl?
Should I delete this post?**

Happy Birthday Jordan!!

41 comments:

Alison said...

This might be your best post of all time, and I have read 920000 of them.

becca said...

I love this post, don't delete it!! I think this is a fantastic idea!! When I was younger (probably starting in about 6th grade) I had trouble falling asleep so I started reading for at least half an hour before bed. It totally helped my mind relax enough to drift off. Now that I have kids I don't ever have trouble falling asleep (I usually have trouble staying awake until bedtime), but that light idea is great! I used to have a desk lamp I could use, but it lit up the whole room!! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

now that IS fabulous girl!! LOVE IT! my girls would dig them too!! you look fab for 1am i have to say!!
**Do you like to read late into the night? yep!

Do you think you'll give this a whirl? TOTALLY!

Should I delete this post?**NO WAY! its such useful information- you may even change the world!!

Anonymous said...

You are so ADORABLE! That is the greatest thing I have seen. Please do not delete this post!

amy gretchen said...

First of all your look great for 1am. In fact I've never seen you look bad Jill, although a bit silly with the light on your head. I would love to hear Randy sing that song.

This is a great idea. It was an instant hit with my girls. I don't know why I didn't buy one for them way back when. I should get one for adam for the hot tub since he's always messing around with a book light.

Angie said...

So funny!! I love the idea. I have attempted reading in bed with a flashlight and I hate it. My arms get numb and I end up just stopping and going to sleep. I may have to check these out.

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE CRACKING ME UP!!!
I actually have NEVER thought of doing this, but have several of these lights in my son's room!!!
They are toys to him!
(great b.day gift for a kid, by the way)

I wake up a couple times nightly. If I feel like I'm done with sleep,I just turn on the lamp on my night stand to read!! Glaring light doesn't even PHASE my hubs!! funny huh? -ciao

Anonymous said...

Don't delete this post! I love it! What I love about the head lamp is that you don't have to take it off the book when you turn the page. b( you know the ones you attach to the books?)This is brilliant!I think it would also be great if I happen to fall asleep with it on and get up in the middle of the night to check on something. It can be like the new head gear! Gotta go get us some!

Melinda said...

O.k. you are so freakin hilarious!! My family has had these headlight for quite some years now. This is how Jason reads after I go to bed. We keep the light on until I am groggy and then he continues with the headlight. Our kids have them and use them.

You better not delete the post. This is clasic stuff to keep for the journals. Love the pictures. I can tell you I don't look that good at 1am!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE those pictures, especially the one of you looking tough - for some reason I imagine you saying "whatchoo talking bout Willis?" Sooo funny. I too need to get me some of those lights (can't say headlights, it makes me think of boobs, don't know why, and I'd like to get those someday too) because I love reading til the wee small hours of the morning. Where did you get those?

Anonymous said...

I LOVE those pictures, especially the one of you looking tough - for some reason I imagine you saying "whatchoo talking bout Willis?" Sooo funny. I too need to get me some of those lights (can't say headlights, it makes me think of boobs, don't know why, and I'd like to get those someday too) because I love reading til the wee small hours of the morning. Where did you get those?

Anonymous said...

Sorry I posted twice, my computer is acting strange.

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures. I have my own headlight, I should give it a try sometime!

Anonymous said...

I love it! Does it hurt your head to wear this though? Have you ever tried one of those book lights that you clip to your book? I think it is funny that Randy sings that song to you. Definitely do not delete this post! :)

Bridget said...

I LOVE to read in bed at night, which drives my husband batty. He doesn't understand why I can't just read out on the coach earlier in the night and then go to bed. I tell him it just isn't the same, but he doesn't get it. I found a booklight at Target that I love because it is rechargeable and attaches to my book. Haven't tried the headlight thing, but it is a fantastic idea. Don't delete the post! Too cute!

Anonymous said...

Mmm, I might have to try that. Reading on the couch until I get up and turn off the light and am no longer tired so I end up watching TV until I fall asleep isn't working out so great.

melanie said...

I would have never thought of a headlight in bed. I'm like you, the one with the light on way too late and it does start to annoy Milo. Love the pics too, at 1am I would look very tired (but still awake) with dark circles.

I'm saying the same thing- This post stays!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I'm thinking I just found fifteen Christmas presents . . . in January no less. This was a brainchild. Thanks.

Heather said...

I love the idea! Lucky for me, my husband can sleep through anything!!! Don't delete the post, you look great at 1 am. I can't say the same.

Anonymous said...

You are so awesome. I love this and no way should you delete this. You are so genuine it is just refreshing.

I think it is a fablous idea and might have to get one for my daughter. I can't read in bed at night, I always fall asleep

everything pink! said...

oh yes great post and the photos are oh so lovely. you have the best cheek bones of anyone i know.

great idea of the reading.

Anonymous said...

I love the look and the idea. I just read with the light on until I start bugging my husband. I would be seriously sleep deprived if I had a headlight that didn't bug him. I don't usually get sleepy reading and get really into books so if I'm not worrying about bugging my bed buddy I would stay up until my book was done most times.

I love, love, love Mrs. Mike. I get a warm feeling just thinking about it. I hope you enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

So great! Love the photos! My lamp doesn't bug my husband, thank goodness. Of course, now I have an alternative idea...

Anonymous said...

That is great. Way better then a booklight that just gets in the way. My husband will thank you for this little piece of info. Although he will surely laugh at me also. Perfect for checking on the kids at night. I am always prowling around with my flashlight because I don't want to turn the lights on.

Anonymous said...

Aren't headlamps the best? I haven't thought to use it reading it bed before though...brilliant!

Anonymous said...

This is brilliant! Never would have thought of it. Thanks for taking one for the team and letting your little secret out of the bag.

Anonymous said...

You are so funny! This was so fun to read today. At first I thought your little secret was that you are a miner on the side. But, I have to admit -- this is a great idea! Just the other night I was having trouble going to sleep and wanted to read, but didn't want to get out of my cozy bed, and didn't want to wake my husband up with my lamp. I thought of sneaking down to my daughter's bedroom for her clip on book light, but that would have required getting out of bed. So, I just laid there and stewed about it for a while. This would be a great solution -- the clip on lights always fall off or don't work out if you are reading laying on your side or something. I love the pictures!

Anonymous said...

I have just been thinking that I needed a better night time reading solution. And you have just solved it and given me a great laugh as well. This post reminds me of times when I have been hanging out with girlfriends late at night and we finally let our hair down and become our real selves in the wee hours. Those are the best of times. (Sleepovers, college roomates, Girls Camp, etc.) I guess blogs are like sleepovers of yesteryear. The real us can come out! I love it.

Anonymous said...

Jill! Jill! I am happy to report that my son received the SAME headlight for his birthday! You are in mighty fine company, friend! He loves his, too, and you better believe that his dear old mom will be singing "Turn on Your Headlight" tonight as he settles in with his book! The headlight suits you - thank you for championing the cause of the greater literay good. You are an inspiration. Happy reading!

michelle said...

I love it! I love that you wear the headlight, I love that you posted these pictures of you (I have to echo the sentiment that you look mighty good at 1:00 a.m.!), and I love that you got my grandma to try the headlight and that we documented it in photos as well.

For some reason, I always forget about this option and have never tried it. I think maybe I'll borrow the one you gave to Max because my reading always disturbs Marc and I end up turning out the light before I'm ready to stop. I do love reading late at night.

Thanks for your sacrifice for the greater literary good!

Anonymous said...

I love your posts. Please never delete any of them. You definitely are good at putting a smile on someones face. I got your sweet package today. Thanks a million, it made my day.

p.s. I use a booklight, my husband finally broke down and bought me one because he was sick of me using his.

Anonymous said...

Do I live in the freakin' dark ages or what???!!!??? I have never even heard of this little gadget before!

I love to read before I go to bed and this little do-dad will be a heaven sent for my marriage!

jenn said...

I have tried to picture you wearing this little gadget and never could- until now! How the heck do you look so good at 1 am? Is it because you have a dermatologist(unknown info from a previous post)??

Kelly bought an eye mask, ear plugs (for when Angela is here), and "sleep" music. I could have a rock concert in my room and not bother Kelly!

Jordan said...

You look like you're ready for some spelunking! I wish wish wish I could stay awake late into the night to read! In college during winter semester I would sit out on the back porch in my pj's in the cold just to stay awake long enough to finish my reading for class the next day. Would a head lamp help this problem?

Anonymous said...

You're my bedtime story. Some blogs I look at in the morning...skim a few in the afternoon during the boys' naps, but yours I save for night. A delectable end-of-the-day treat.

Laurie said...

You remind me of a coal miner! This is a cute idea. I always love product endorsements and ideas. I stay up much later than my husbands sometimes, so this is an idea I can appreciate.

Amy said...

Maybe I should try a headlamp. Jeremy might be very grateful. Actually I have a cool reading light that attaches to the book. It's little, but very effective.

A funny headlamp story--the first time Jeremy and I went out he took me to Stewart Falls. It was, like, 9:30 at night in November. Cold and dark. He put a headlamp on to guide us on our hike. It was nearly the end of Jeremy. I thought he looked so dorky! Fortunately I got over it, and his headlamps are now some of my favorite pieces of camping gear.

stefanie said...

The photos are quite amusing. I have seen the kind of lights that you clip to the book, but I have always thought to myself "but then you have to try to read around that stupid light"

I would honestly use this for more than just reading. My husband likes to watch tv without many lights on, which can be a pain when I'm trying to do something crafty. Although he may do a good amount of laughing at me, this may just be what I need.

Doodle Bugs said...

I LOVE it Jill!! You are one special girl and I am laughing my butt off right now!! We all have dirty little secrets hidden and I am so PROUD of you for announcing yours! I am thinking I need one!!

Anonymous said...

You crack me up, I love the self portraits! I just leave my lamp on, poor Matt, who am I kidding, I'm usually in bed before he is. I like the idea of the headlamp.

Erin said...

I am so into this! I know that this post is almost 2 years old...but the info is still very useful. I've spent about the last two years sleeping on the couch because I am addicted to reading!

Thanks baby!