Wednesday, March 21, 2007

My Condition...

I have a condition unknown to most of you, but it's something I feel I should come out with just in case any of you are suffering in silence as well. Its affects are acute and painful but fortunately they are not long lasting. Sometimes I go for long periods of time without so much as a twinge, but lately I've found a way to curb the pain and I feel I must share.


You see, I suffer from Post-Romantic Movie Stress Disorder (PRMSD for short). This occurs whenever I watch a romantic comedy or full-on romance. My heart aches, my face softens, sometimes there are tears, and if I'm watching the movie with Randy, my symptoms turn ugly and sometimes manifest themselves in extreme sarcasm or weighted silence. It has taken me years to find a diagnosis and only now am I learning to control it.


My recent habit of watching movies on the computer while working in my scrapbook room has proven to be a wonderful cure for PRMSD because I'm in here alone! By the time Randy returns from work the episode has passed and I am well again, plus he doesn't have to watch any of these chick-flick movies). How about that? Do you think I should go nationwide with this?

Yesterday I watched "The Holiday" and had a strong outbreak of symptoms (Jude Law...oh my). Fortunately I was able to give in to the symptoms and then let them fade away without Randy ever having to feel the affects at all. This is best for both of us.


On a side note (and really this could be a completely separate post) I found a couple quotes from this movie interesting.

The old man says to Kate Winslet's character

"Iris, in the movies, we have leading ladies and we have the best friend. You, I can tell, are a leading lady, but for some reason, you're behaving like the best friend. "

Then she says "You're supposed to be
the leading lady in your own life."

I am SO the best friend in my life. I think in high school I was more of a leading lady type gal, but my dating woes and many frustrations at BYU seemed to have sucked the life (and leading lady ways) out of me.

Edited to add: Randy will watch any movie with me, he's a most agreeable man, it's just that my state of mind after such films isn't good for either of us.

**Do you suffer from this condition as well?
What movies aggravate your symptoms?
Are you the leading lady in your life?**

P.S. It's "Just Because" Wednesday again, I'm definitely sending some cards just because.

45 comments:

Michelle Alley said...

You are hilarious! I just saw Holiday this weekend with my husband - and yes, we BOTH loved it! I own every Jane Austen movie ever made - and her books! Are you a fan of Jane Eyre? That book and pride and prejudice and mansfield park rank in first place -among others that are very close behind it! There really is no cure!

Anonymous said...

Sadly, I don't think I watch enough chick flicks to suffer from this condition and when I do it doesn't make me weird towards Linc- research is in order though. Prolonged exposure may alter the effects.

The leading lady question is a good one- I like to think that I am but know I tend to go for the safer best friend role more times than not. I want to be the leading lady.

Anonymous said...

I definitely have PRMSD! I have a bin of movies that are just for me alone, no one allowed to touch them for fear that they will get ruined. In the bin, "Pride and Prejudice" two versions, Emma, Sense and Sensibility, Phantom of the Opera (the singing gives me chills), The Notebook (I cry every time), You've Got Mail, Runaway Bride, and the list goes on. I also have several old romantic movies. I love it all. My problem is that I want some overt romantic version of my life, and it just isn't happening. Oh well, back to the dishes and the movies playing on the computer.

Karli said...

I've been wanting to watch the Holiday... I am totally with you on this. I don't take it out on Zac and thankfully we have worked out a system where we watch a movie he picks, then one I pick, etc. It works well. I have always actually preferred watching chick flicks with a girlfriend or by myself because I know they'll "get it" with me. (: I am a huge movie Crier and it isn't only on chick flicks...I cry in comedys, dramas, documentaries, you name it...(: Zac is used to it and just comforts me...although he did shed a few tears on "Life is Beautiful," and "Hotel Rwanda."

My movie library is mostly romantic comedies and I love it. I love scrapbooking or making cards & canvases with a movie playing. Like you, I just finished the old Pride & Prejudice a few days ago and love that too..Usually watching them makes me want to be more romantic, sexy, creative for Zac.

I change from being best friend to leading lady depending on the situation I'm in. I feel like I am the star of the show at home, but I like making others feel comfortable in social situations and turn into the best friend...Thanks for letting us in on your condition!

Love, Karli

Anne said...

I totally suffer from PRMSD. I'm such a goober when it comes to romantic movies...I'm a total mess. I'm glad I'm not alone in my suffering. I often wonder if I get so emotional because I'm lacking in the romance department myself and I look at these movieland relationships that are so wonderful and wonder what's so wrong with me that I am incapable of having this (or really any) relationship on my own.

I totally feel like I'm the best friend, I actually don't think I've ever been the leading lady. Other than a 2 year relationship in high school my longest relationship has lasted a month. So sad. I want to be a leading lady so badly! Anyone know of any good guys in the DC area looking for a leading lady? Let me know...I'm available! :)

Unknown said...

love, actually. every. single.time.

just sealed an envelope on some 'just because' mail!

Laurie said...

I think I'm the leading lady in my life, though I have a tendency to mess up my lines! :)

The two movies I've seen recently are Music and Lyrics and The Holiday. I definitely liked Music and Lyrics better, which was weird b/c normally I'm not that entertained by Hugh Grant.

Elizabeth said...

I loved that line also. I loved her relationship with the old man. I think at times I have played the best friend role in my own life (mostly college) but now I feel like the leading lady.

Mandy said...

I am definitely the best friend. Always have been, always will be. Even as I write that I want to be the leading lady, just for a little while.

I also suffer from PRMSD. It's hard to watch something so completely romantic and then go back to your less than always romantic life. I miss the beginning stages of dating with my husband, but hope I never take for granted the comfort that comes with stability.

Thanks for reaching out to others who suffer from this same condition. :)

Liz said...

You are sooo funny Jill! I at first thought that you really had some serious ailment, what with the x-ray pic. I haven't tried watching these kind of movies alone, so maybe I should.... then I wouldn't have to listen to the sarcastic comments about how sappy some scenes are. :)

Anonymous said...

For a minute, I thought you had a real ailment, and I just had a wash of sadness -- so I was delighted you were just being your funny self.

I suffer from the same disorder. My husband is kind enough to watch on occasion, but it's usually better if I'm alone, and then I don't get the, "Why are you crying??"

I've wanted to see the Holiday, so I'm glad you liked it. I found the best friend/leading lady quote really something to think about.

Amanda said...

I love it! So funny! For a minute, I was really worried about your medical condition. I get PRMSD all the time, too! And, I just saw The Holiday over the weekend. Jude Law is so dreamy...ok I'm over it. I love chic flicks sooooo much.

michelle said...

I loved the Holiday! I think I suffer from this condition as well. I think it is healthy for me to watch most chick flicks with my friends. I feel like for the most part I am the leading lady. I am sure it changes from time to time though. Cameron Diaz, and Jude Law where great in the movie!

jenny said...

Okay at first I really thought you had a bad condition or some kind of illness. It scared me a bit...Jill you are too funny. I suffer from the same symptoms. Sometimes I can't even get a grip on myself. I need to rent that movie this weekend. Angie and I had intentions all winter to see it, and now you can rent it.

Not sure which one I am...I must think about it some more.

Price Cream Parlor said...

This totally scared me! You totally cracked me up! So glad to know that I do not suffer alone! I tend to think and rethink after a romantic movie. I love getting lost in a great one! Oh, the only P&P to watch is the one with Collin Firth! - I actually brought my husband to see Holiday and he liked it -surprisingly! Leading lady/best friend..hmm, something to ponder.

amy gretchen said...

You seriously had me going.

I love all romantic movies and suffer from PRMSD as well. I think I get more depressed that there aren't enough movies out there like that that I can savor. I want another pride and prejudice.

I sure would like to think I am a leading lady as I am certainly not the best friend. Is there another option?

Angie said...

I'm a blubbering mess when I watch chic flic movies. I'm glad I'm not the only one suffering. And speaking of suffering, you had me scared that something terrible was wrong!

I almost rented the Holiday last night but once I realized I had nothing on my DVR worth watching it was a bit late to start a movie. I'm definitely renting it in the next couple of days.

stefanie said...

I am do not suffer from this ailment... at least not often. Usually if a movie affects me in that way, it's because there are other things going on as well.

Rich and I watched The Holiday over the weekend. My husband loves romantic comedies - go figure! We both loved it. The leading lady scene was very profound to me as well. Definitely got me thinking.

annalisa said...

I did not like that movie because a) I hate Cameron Diaz and b) the cheese at the end was too unrealistic. That being said, despite my extreme portests at hating chick flicks, the break out of sarcasm sounds an awful lot like my symptons. There are some, particularly English classics made into movies, that I do adore. But who wants a leading lady who thinks like a guy? No I am not a leading lady in my life.

Amie said...

You know I don't suffer from this. I love watching cute people like eachother. I like to watch with Jimmy. I hate when we haven't both seen it.

Painful movies for me are those with nerdy, homely actors. Maye that hits me more where it hurts, nerdy and homely?!

I think I would be an extra (like a tree) no leading lady roles for me I'm afraid.

Laurie said...

P.S. You are too a leading lady, and so is Amie. You two totally have your stuff going on. You're nuts.

Oh, and I must not suffer from this disorder b/c my husband was willing to watch both The Holiday and Music & Lyrics with me. If I cry in a movie he laughs, but he's usually getting a bit teary too - really though he mostly gets choked up when kids are hurt, not b/c of romantics.

charlotte said...

I too suffer from PRMSD!! I'm usually always in a mood for a chick flick and sometimes I just wish life were like a movie. I love classic romances like Pride and Prejudice (of course!) and actually a favorite is A Cinderella Story *sigh* In my life I think I go back and forth between being the leading lady and being the best friend. In my life right now though, I think I'm a leading lady kind of gal.

Barb said...

My 5 year old is crying her eyes out watching Spirit right this very minute. Good thing her brother isn't home. The Y chromosome seems to eradicate this condition.

Alison said...

I was suffering in a totally different way during "The Holiday." I loved the Kate Winslet/Jack Black/old man half, and I wanted to kick Jude Law and Cameron Diaz. I was also very worried about her when she let a random man sleep in the house (!), because he was totally giving off a creepy Chester the Molester vibe. I am not a Jude fan, though.

Christina said...

im totally confused at what PRMSD????

i enjoy chick flicks both alone and with jon..

im a leading lady-i typically have been most of my life..

Amanda :-) said...

Ooh, I'm a bit sad that I DON'T suffer from PRMSD! *blink*

I tend to get a big lump in my throat watching films that I know are based on true stories, like Schindler's List. And I get a feeling of guilt that I'm watching a dramatized version of it, when really I should've known the 'real' story from history books. Mea culpa, mea culpa.

What was that Colour Purple film? Was that the one where she finds all the letters her husband held on to? That made me BWWAAAHAAHAA :-(

This is reminding me of the 'Film and Faith' series I ran at our church for the youth. We screened films and talked about parallels with Christian faith. One great e.g. was 'Quiz Show'. I love the line where the son admits to his professor father that he cheated on the TV quiz, and the outraged father exclaims, 'Your name is MY name!' That gives me a lump in my throat every time.

Glad you've found an outlet for this acute condition, Jill. Somehow, though, I don't think you'd appreciate a Get Well Soon card! No?

everything pink! said...

this is excactly why i can not watch movies. i become the movie and then can not get over it for days.
i watched the holiday twice this weekend and am going to buy it, because i loved it so much!!!

i love how you wrote this. again the reason why i would buy any book you write.
thanks for the pep talk today!

Libby said...

That is really funny and clever Jill! I must admit, I too suffer from PRMSD! But it doesn't seem to be bad for my husband James! He seems to enjoy it quite a lot! You see, after I watch a really romantic movie (A&E's pride and prejudice is still the worst for me! I am so sappy afterwards!) I get all lovey dovey with James! I want to cuddle, kiss, and other fun things that he isn't opposed too! I seem to get all gushy on him and I want to do nice things for him or make him sweet treats! He loves it! I can't help it either! After I watch a romantic movie, I want those old feelings like when you are first dating a person to come all back! I want it to be exciting and fun non-stop again! I hate how comfortable we get with each other. I wish it could be butterflies all the time!

Anonymous said...

Aaron and I watched The Notebook the other night. He will kill me if he finds out I mentioned this OUTLOUD but he cried with me at the end. Yes, I have a womanly man for a husband :P

I try really hard to be the Leading Lady in my own life.

Amy said...

My name is Amy, and I'm a fellow PRMSD sufferer. Sadly, I relish watching these kinds of films alone. I want to not be aware and wondering if Jim is silently feeling tortured. I'm with Lelly on my current favorite. Love, Actually. I watch it every year around Christmas. Love it. And the long Pride & Prejudice is definitely an all-time favorite. But, like Barb's little one, Spirit also makes me cry. Doesn't honestly take much these days.

Anonymous said...

Always on the hunt for a good romantic comedy. I haven't seen this one yet but you have me sold! I cry and my husbands says "are you seriously crying at that?" So I guess that makes me a PRMSD sufferer too. So glad you put a name to my condition! As for the quote-well, I'm still thinking about it. That quote could definitely be a separate post and deserves a little contemplating from myself.

Anonymous said...

This post is so funny!!!! I can relate completely! I can be thrown emotionally for a week from a movie! I'm glad to know a person that suffers from the same disorder I have. You are too funny!

Kristen said...

I love this post and every one's comments! I have to go and get that movie now.

I love the notebook and Sense and Sensibility.

I also laughed about what you said on jenny's blog about feeling like you have fleas if you don't wash your hair...sooo funny!

Crystalyn said...

hehe, this reminds me that my mom would watch the thornbirds whenever my dad would be gone on long trips. this really was best as it took her a couple of weeks to not be angry at men.

i think i've been both the leading lady and the best friend. lately i feel more best friendish. i hope for the leading lady to make her appearance shortly...

Emily said...

Yes, yes, yes. Where do I sign up for the support group? But not right now, I called the hubs on his way home and had him pick up "The Holiday" for me to watch while he's out doing the Bishopric thing tonight. So...I'm off to watch!

Sarah said...

You might not think of yourself as a leading lady but I think you are. Maybe thats just because I think you're bossy (which to me is not a bad thing) or maybe a better way of putting it is you're in control or you lead the way.

Anonymous said...

I'll suffer with you anyday. How funny, you crack me up! AAHHH! The beauty of a chick flick, to sigh, to dream and to cry.

I'm not sure about the leading lady, I'd like to think I'm the leading lady but I probably default to the best friend role and how true the statement that we should be the leading lady in our own lives. Now there's a thought to chew on for a while.

Booking It With Sandi said...

You crack me up! I too suffer from PRMSD, which is why my husband refuses to see "Chick" flicks with me unless we are with friends where I won't compare outloud our "mushy lives" to the movies. I so want to do the walking, talking, stopping to eat at a cafe in N.Y.like they do in so many movies- which they do just for the fun of it!

I so want to see HOLIDAY and and also THE LAKEHOUSE! Gals night out is this Friday and we are going to see Premonition- I love Sandra Bullock!

I'm with Emily- can we have a support group? My favorite movies are Anne of Green Gables and my husband just cringes when he sees me turn them on. So, i am a closet Anne watcher!

I am totally the bestfriend in the movie- never the leading lady though I want to be because they get to wear the cuter stuff. hehe

michelle said...

Yeah, I totally suffer from this as well (as you know). I enjoy watching movies like this by myself, or with you! Watching them with Marc is just painful. He doesn't enjoy them, and then I don't enjoy him...

I have no idea if I am a leading lady or best friend in my life. Seems like neither...

Amy W. said...

Alright, you scared me for a moment. I thought you might be really sick. BUT, I feel your pain on hubbies sometimes hampering my good movie. For me it is Grey's Anatomy. Alph can't keep chiming in--"oh my gosh, that would NEVER happen in the hospital" or something along those lines.

But Missy, I will correct you. I envision you nothing less than leading lady type.

melanie said...

My word this topic hit a high note, I LOVE it!!! Really Jill, this post is hilarious.

I have been eying Holiday at the stores, now I must watch! Maybe a renter this weekend.

I am no doubt the best friend. I have come a long way though, I think I am inching closer with tiny baby step into the leading lady role.

Melinda said...

Sorry, but Holy Crap!! I am number 42 to comment?! That is crazy.

We watched the Holiday this weekend. I loved it! Jude Law is too yummy to look at. Plus seeing him being cute with the daughters didn't help.
Jason HATES chick flicks. I hate his movies that he watches. It is very rare when something will come out that we will see together. This is one part of my life I hate about my marriage, but I guess there are worse things to deal with?

Julia said...

You are hilarious. I am not emotional enough to suffer from this condition (I also don't watch enough chick-flick movies). We finally watched Love Actually the other night, and I will admit that I got really sad when Emma Thompson was listening to Joni Mitchell and sobbing uncontrollably when she realized her husband was having an affair.

I think I have always been the leading lady type-- but I wish I were more of the best friend sometimes. Very interesting thought.

Kelly said...

Funny. I like to sneak out late at night after everyone has gone to bed and go to the theater. Box of Junior Mints, bag of popcorn and I sit at the very top of the theater all by myself. That's how I watch chick flicks.

I only watch the chick one's too, any swearing, yelling or fighting and I can't watch.

carlo said...

oh i loved this b/c it is so me. i usually avoid tearjerkers b/c of my puffy eye syndrome the next day.

over my break i watched (FINALLY) love actually and couldn't stop sobbing. yep, turtle eyes the next day though i did use kellya's eyemask the night of the tears and felt like it helped reduce the puffy eyes!!

love the post. would the holiday be a crying type movie? or should i avoid for awhile??