Friday, June 01, 2007

Chipmunk Cheeks

I made it through and am now 4 teeth lighter! Hooray, what an ordeal, and to think that last week at this time I had no idea these pesky teeth were going to take over my life (or my blog...the opposite of riveting).

This is a foxy photo of me in the chair waiting for things to get underway. I hadn't felt very anxious until I was sitting there looking at the instruments in the room (I'm prone to passing out) and wasn't feeling too keen on any of that. I actually said to Randy "I wish I could sleep through this part." My wish was soon granted.

Here's my lovely panoramic x-ray taken by my dentist. I had to call her office at 4:00 on Tuesday to see if I could have a copy of it to take to the surgeon's office. Her husband answered and said they were just getting ready to leave for the day but he would set it outside for me (very nice). When I told him my name he said "Oh, yours is the blog my sister reads all the time." (How funny is that?) I pretty much broke down and began telling him what a wreck I was and how much it hurt and he said "Yeah, she told us, is there anything we can do?" That was mighty nice and kind of funny, especially because his sister *Natalie* doesn't comment very often so I didn't think she read anymore (come out, come out wherever you are). I felt like a celebrity, but different.

Apparently the surgery went great. Once they hooked me up to the I.V. I was OUT! When I started to wake up I could hear them talking and didn't realize they were already done. (What a relief!) I had a hard time waking up and felt super groggy and kind of silly. Randy kept laughing at me (he really should add to this post because his perspective would probably be more accurate and hilarious). This is a picture he took of me in the car on the way home, my chipmunk cheeks were already in bloom.

Here's another foxy photo of me on the bed when I first got home. I was so out of it. I slept for a couple of hours while Randy ran around picking up my prescriptions for me. He took very good care of me and made sure I didn't get out of bed or do anything foolish. I got up around 9:00pm and felt good enough to eat some mashed potatoes (gotta love KFC) and watch some tv. I'm still up and it's 2:12am right now. I'm feeling strangely good.


Fortunately Amie came had picked up the kids today at 2:00pm and shuttled them out to freakin Eagle Mountain so they could stay at my parents' house overnight and for tomorrow. This was tremendously helpful. The house was pretty clean when they left and now it will stay that way (that's good for my mental health, especially under these circumstances). It will be nice to be able to rest and have the house clean and quiet tomorrow (no neighbor kids) so I can deal with my chipmunk cheeks, any pain that comes my way, and my pressing need to rest at odd hours. Now if only they could stay gone until next week...

By the way, thanks for all the support and comments. Tasha even called to check on me and wish me well today, that was super nice. She's going in to be induced at 7:00am Eastern Time, how exciting, what was she doing thinking of me?!

31 comments:

Natasha said...

Happy to read that all went well!

stefanie said...

I'm glad to read that you made it through surgery okay. Enjoy the quietness today. That is sweet of Amie and your parents to help you out!

carlo said...

oh jill!!!!!!! what a day...i hope you are feeling ok today. or at least sleeping or reading in bed (if you can manage it!) enjoy the quiet...

Amie said...

I am happy to hear you use the word hooray! I hope things keep going well. Just don't push yourself. Your kids can stay until next week, they can come here as long as you need. It was so fun to have them walk around the corner last night when the four of us were in the garage. I know you hate it out here but I am craving some good friends nearby...

Rebekah said...

You are such a celebrity! First, the recognition, then the photo of you in the car with your sunglasses on...That picture could totally pass as a photo of you being driven to some swanky celebrity rehab :).

Aren't you glad those teeth are out now? Please tell me you're going to make some kind of right-of-passage necklace with them.

Holly said...

I'm glad your surgery went well, at least for what you are aware of! Get some rest and maybe some malts or shakes. Hope you recover quickly!

Robyn said...

I can't believe what you've gone through with these teeth! It makes me really glad that I had mine taken out before my mission. Even though they had to scrape out the impacted ones and I woke up during it (I only had gas) and I was really delusional and thought I was going to die... Yes, yours is still worse.

Good that Randy takes such good care of you and that Kath has the kids. Keep the drugs coming!

That is so funny that your dentist's husband's sister (or whoever)reads your blog. You are so totally famous.

Marie said...

So glad it is over for you! I had my impacted wisdom teeth removed in University, even though they weren't giving me any problems. Why? Because I was in the dental hygiene program, and so I could get all my denistry done at the school for free, and I saw an opportunity! I am a weird duck!

Hey, come visit me at my blog some time. You are always invited.

jenn said...

Glad you are home resting.
I only had two teeth to pull and they didn't put me out- I drove myself home. But when the novacain started to wear off- I was dying! Kelly picked up pain meds for me but I thought he wasn't going to make it back before I died! He did. :)
Thank heaven for pain medication! Hope yours is strong!

jenny said...

I remember it being that same way...waking up when they were just about done. I am glad it went smoothly and you are finally out of miserable pain. (well different kind now) Get some rest and enjoy the kids gone--man I wish my parents would take mine for the weekend at this point!

collette said...

Glad you are home and all went according to plan. Enjoy the quiet of the day (hopefully).

amy gretchen said...

I'm glad that all went well. Man am I glad Adam didn't have a camera in the car with us...that is a really funny picture.

It's awesome your mom is taking the kids overnight and all day. It will make a huge difference. I would have killed for that.

We'll miss game night.

Anonymous said...

Oh the wisdom teeth. What a day! You might just be the only girl brave enough to take her camera to the oral surgeons office. Glad all went so well. Rest up while you can.

Price Cream Parlor said...

Great post and photos, Jill! So glad that things went well and that you were feeling pretty well last night. I am laughing at all the photos - so great - and the fact that the dentist's husband (?) knew about your blog! THAT is so dang funny! You are a celebrity, you know! ;-)
I totally understand about the clean house thing and being great for your mental state during this regrouping. - so awesome that you littles are able to go and play and you can rest!
Remember - no straws! ;-0

Kristen said...

Your not so fun adventure turned into a fun post for all of us to read:) the pictures were great!

Oh man I remember when I got my wisdom teeth pulled. Not so fun!

Hope you get tons of rest today.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad things are going so well so far! I am cracking up that they knew about your blog -- too funny! And the pictures are priceless! I hope you get to rest up in your quiet, clean house today, and that it's such a relief to have those teeth out of your head that you just don't feel the pain.

Laurie said...

From my own wisdom teeth extraction experience, I take it a very good sign that you aren't cursing at this point. I'm glad for you! Having the kids gone is a must today. I'm glad you have that worked out. Take care!!!

Elizabeth said...

Yeah, I am glad you are recovering smoothly. Enjoy your quiet house!

Liz said...

First, glad your painful ordeal is over with, and hope you recover quickly!

Second, it always makes me laugh when you say "freaking Eagle Mountain". I've never been there, but you make it sound so awful, I'm not sure I ever want to. :)

Hope you have a nice weekend recovering minus the kids!

michelle said...

What?? Your dentist's husband knew who you were from your blog?! I guess you just never know...

So glad Randy was able to stay by your side and that Amie and your mom took care of the kid side of things. Whew! It was just killing me that you needed help and I am oh so far away.

Love the photos and I'm SO happy that's over and done with! Now for a speedy recovery.

annalisa said...

Get plenty of rest and feel better soon. You should totally have Randy tell us about druggie Jill. I'm glad you got to eat some real food. I remember the delicious smell of somebody's birthday dinner as I sipped away at my shake. So cruel.

Barb said...

Your post is bringing back such memories of my own wisdom teeth extractions. I was also lucky enough to have a husband to take care of me.

Anna said...

Speedy recovery. I got my wisdom teeth out when I was 23 or 24...complete sedation is the way to go! During my recovery I even took pics of the inside of my mouth...bloody gauze and all! Gross! But I proudly scrapbooked those pics!
Enjoy the clean and quiet.

Chanel Palmer said...

Oh, I feel your pain. I had mine pulled out about 6 years ago and it was horrible. I kept throwing up when I got home from the surgery. I am glad that you have been able to sleep and recover. What a blessing to have Amie to watch your kids!

bryn said...

so hope you are on the way to feeling better. isn't it crazy that such little things can hurt SO much! enjoy many days of mashed potatoes, don't do too much (i got infections in both pockets and blew up like a chipmunk again - not fun!), and enjoy the quite of your home! :)

Anonymous said...

So glad you're going to completely be out of pain soon.

Tiffanie said...

I just got my widom teeth out in December (just in time to use up the flex spending money!) and it was quite the ordeal. I am glad everything went ok. How great that you had help with your kids!

Ashley said...

okay, here is the deal. I am your dentist (natali schofield) sister-in-law. My name is Ashley. I have been reading your blog for awhile and have really enjoyed it. I found your blog through my other sister-in-law Natalie Schofield. Yes, both of my brothers married women named Natalie/Natali. Nat the dentist is WONDERFUL and she and my brother were happy when I noticed you remarking about thier wonderful new office. I'm glad to hear to that you got your teeth taken care of. It is awful to have that pain.

*Natalie* has cut back on her blogging that's why she hasn't commented on your blog.

Heather said...

So glad that you are on your way to feeling better!!!

Amanda :-) said...

Jill, I was sure I'd commented on this, but where am I? Hmmmm.

The pain of wisdom teeth is a demonic torment. Last time I had a bout of pain, I actually resorted to some weird 'accupressure' method of pain relief that I'd read about on the Net. You squeeze the tip of your index finger, either side of your nail. I was that desperate!!

So sorry you've been slowed down by this horrible thing, but it's great to think you'll never have that pain again.

Hope you're feeling up-to-speed again soon! xx

Bond Girl 007 said...

missy missy jill wow...i can't believe all this happend when i was gone...well for sure at least you were out of it...lucky girl...i got all four of mine while i worked at covey remember? but that was not enough to get the all out at once but with public...alfredo was leaning behind the doctor supervising the surgery...he just wanted to see what it was like and make sure the dentist did a good job....i can't even believe he was there...and on top of it, staring at me and all of the pulling going on...how embarrasing just to remember...funny i don't remember any of the pain...i am sure i must have felt some.........