- Remembering all the boys' names, since the coach can't seem to keep them straight.
- Keeping stats on all the players (I carry a clipboard).
- Cheering for and congratulating the players.
- Being another girl for the one girl player on our team (who is also one of my Activity Day girls).
- Helping at practice (woohoo I get to play too, I can punt like nobody's business).
- Being something of a mother to the boys.

We have 2 games a week, plus a practice so my week is very football-filled, but I have no problem with that. In fact, I had told the coach Landon and I would have to miss practice last night because we had family visiting from out of state, but when they called to say they couldn't make it until Friday we hurried to get ready so we could still make it to practice. (I didn't want to miss out.)

Another point of amusement is watching Landon play. He isn't what I would call a natural athlete. He's more of a well-intentioned player who likes to be part of it, but doesn't get the big picture. I was joking with Randy at our game the other night that rather than having the "Eye of the Tiger" Landon has more of the "Eye of the Newt." Thinking about myself and sports I think I have more of the "Eye of the House Cat" because I've got skills, but never really got anywhere with them and was a bit lazy about them. (In high school sports--soccer and track.)

Our team has won all 4 of our games so far thanks largely to our awesome quarterback, who is so fast nobody can catch him (he made 4 touchdowns at our last game) and because the other teams drop the ball a lot. It's kind of funny really because though we practice a lot and the boys all have plays specifically written for them, they stand on the field looking like they're wearing big question marks on their heads (this makes the coach crazy and makes me laugh).

Pretty much I love having a reason to be outside. The weather is so awesome this time of the year and our games are during sunset, so it's a treat to be outside with something useful to do. Who knew that carrying a clipboard and yelling from the sidelines would be such a treat for me?
**Do you like sports?
Have you ever helped coach?
What sort of "Eye" do you have?**
Have you ever helped coach?
What sort of "Eye" do you have?**
27 comments:
I think it's great that you help coach flag football. The boys look so cute with their little flags around their waists.
oh jill-- kudos to you! i love that you listed the reasons and they are wonderful reasons to be involved!
coach jill-- nice ring to it!
Do you like sports? i like to WATCH all kinds of sports. i'm always very self-conscious when i PLAY any...
Have you ever helped coach? i've never helped coach, but my dad always coached our rec leagues growing up...
What sort of "Eye" do you have? i have an "eye for detail." not sure if that would be handy in sports, though...
lucky coach jill!! it looks gorgeous out there.
**Do you like sports? FOR SURE! go read my post for today!! i MUCH rather play then watch others on tv making millions doing it..so frustrating!
Have you ever helped coach? no i havent..
What sort of "Eye" do you have?**hmm eye of the beast maybe!!! im kind of a brut out there!!! hahha
I think it's so great you are involved like that for Landon. Something he will remember for sure.
Our football team is pathetic. I even hate to say that Jared is good (because that would be bragging) but he can out run the other kids and the coach never gives him the ball. Just to his own son. It's almost buggy that he never gives the other 3 fastest kids on the team a chance.
Your team sounds so much like a team I wish Jared was a part of. Unfortunately his is just....I can't even think of a word for it.
I used to not really like sports, but have gotten to like them more and more now that my kids are playing. There is just something about watching someone you know!
I think it's great you're doing this, I don't think I would have offered. I agree it is always nice to be outside except for when the weather is bad. I had multiple friends complaining to me about watching football in the rain/snow last weekend.
I am really hoping the whole sports thing will pass us by, but I guess I never know what they'll be interested in.
Your term "The eye of the house cat" is a crack up!
This love for sports is surprising to me, surprising and amusing. Especially since it's football. I love the whole "eye" analysis. I have been trying to think of what eye I have but perhaps I have no eye at all.
I really like this post and can see myself volunteering to coach something like this as well. Your reasons for evening out the coaching are so great.
I like sports a lot and hope we avoid the whole dance/cheer leading thing and go for the real stuff. I don't like the idea of going to a basketball game to cheer on a cheerleader. BUT- I would totally do it.
Your "eye" of the newt and house cat analysis are hilarious!
eye of newt... jill that is craking me up.
i may have a eye of ... hmmm... i don't know, i think i have an eye of the girl on the nike ads because that is what i want but the skills of the newt. it gets me in a lot of trouble because i over estimate my abilities sometimes.
i think it is awesome that you are doing this.
I love this post, Jill! It's one of those things that makes me wonder how we are friends at all. I would rather do anything than be forced to play a sport. I don't even like to watch, unless you count the Olympics, when for unexplained reasons I love it.
My grandma says the only things she is afraid of are: pouncing tigers and balls flying at her head. I tend to agree.
So if we're talking an "eye" for sports, I guess I would just be blind! See? Landon's much better off than you thought!
I think this sounds so fun! I was the asst. coach in soccer many, many moons ago. I loved it! How fun for Landon to have you be a part of this with him! My favorite thing to do is cheer LOUDLY any littles that I know on a team!
EYE? Hmmmm....eye of a house fly. I see way too much! ha!
I wish Griffin's soccer team had a coach Jill to ease the pain of the nasty coach he has!
I have never, ever seen a mom or female coach here for any of the sports we've played - never even heard of it, so I say you are brave and the south is still just way behind the times.
You rock. I am a sporting disaster. No hand eye coordination, terrified of flying objects (baseballs, basketballs, footballs, etc.) You will be my sport super hero!
I never really loved sports until my boys started to play soccer, it brought out the animal in me while cheering. And because it opened up a whole different kind of photography for me, I guess I have to say that I have an eye for the action, I've been able to capture some flippin' sweet shots over the years. Good job being so involved, that's a huge committment that Landon will never forget.
Potatos have eyes, right? Call me Eye of the Couch Potato. Pathetic at sports. Pathetic.
I feel like I don't know you at all when it comes to things like this... weird.
I am glad you are loving it.
I love Barb's comment about potatoes...clever.
I think it is so great that you are enjoying flag football. It does sound like a lot of time...but in beautiful weather it can't be too bad. I am sure Landon loves having you there. I love your "eye of the newt and cat"...too funny. I don't have any idea what kind of eye I have...interesting to think about!
That is great that you enjoy it so much. I am sure it means a lot to Landon that you are involved.
I would totally do this. I love sports. I'm glad you're having so much fun.
That sounds like so much fun! Glad you are enjoying it so much, I love sports too but am not very good at them, of course now I can't play any so I am with Barb and would have to say I am 'eye of the couch potato'! I love watching others and even more fun if there is someone to cheer for!
love the camera man's shadow in your group shot!
I still have a hard time thinking of you as a sports lover- what happened to non-competitive, book reading, humanities loving... all the things the athletes I knew were not! And seriously, when do we get to see these mad skills?!! Time for a book club flag football game maybe?!
I am not a sports girl. I never have been. I just don't get the big deal. I do, however, like the sound of Hockey Night in Canada on in the background while I scrapbook. It feels homey.
I married a sports guy. He can talk about any sport. I have learned enough to know that I will never be a true sports fan.
Glad you are having a good time with the coaching. Carter starts soccer this Tuesday. I am excited to watch him.
Eye of the slug for me. No sports skills whatsoever.
I like to watch sports if I care about the participants. But, like to sit down and watch a random college football game or something -- I just can't do it without an emotional investment.
It is great that you are filling in the gaps. Sounds like you do more than that though. My son is playing Flag Football also. The cross country team decided to create a team for fun. I have to admit I have not gone to watch yet. I love sports, I coached Volley ball last year. AF does not have a city program. Which we were sad to find out when we moved here. I am talking with them about createing one. I really enjoyed coaching the girls last year.
Hon, this is so awesome that you are into this and being sort of a mother to the other boys. I'm sure Landon is so proud of you and I am too.
I think I have the "eye of good intentions", always making goals to excercise, organize, etc, all and setting ways to get their, all with good intentions, but slacking or becoming mindfully busy in other areas. Anyway, very good question! I love the pictures of you out their with the team, it must be so much fun, plus to be their with your son supporting him - you are truly a super mom!
Post a Comment