
I had to arrive a little late because we had a football game (victory 24-6) and I had to sit in my car after the game to finish the book we were going to be discussing. I called to tell them I was on my way, then proceeded to drive with purpose (quickly) to Amy's house. It seemed like the night for semi's though and I was boxed in and going slow...aargh! I finally got a break in traffic and went around the trucks only to do so at the exit I should have been taking! I'm retarded. So I ended up having to drive clear to the next exit to get off and then turn around and get back on. Duh. I got to Amy's house around 7:50pm only to find them dealing with a creative crisis involving my gift.

We finally ate dinner (Cafe Rio, oh yeah!) around 8:30 by which point we were all starving and weary. (That's kind of late for us to get going.) Dinner was scrumptious and we were able to catch up on some of the happenings in Collette, Amy, Jana and Jenn's lives (Michelle and I didn't add to the conversation). After dinner Jenn, Amy and Michelle went up to Amy's awesome craft room to continue working on the creative crisis, while Collette, Jana and I talked downstairs.

The crisis was finally resolved and "the gifts" were given. Jenn outdid herself again with an ambitious design for an 8x8 accordion-folded book in a box for me. She masterminds all the books (except her own, then Michelle takes over), creates the questions everyone answers, selects the colors & papers for the project then does the finally assembly when everyone brings their pages together...all this while being the Primary President, being mom to 5 kids and trying to sell her house!
I took these pictures this morning in my front yard (better lighting) and looked like an idiot when my neighbors went by, but oh well. This is the box and the IKEA gift card they gave me.The project turned out great. It's sort of surreal to have such a piece of art all about myself, but I will admit I love it. It was kind of crazy to sit and read these questions and answers and have them be all about me. It made me nervous and then relieved. For the rest of the photos, including more detailed pictures of the gift, click here.

We ended up having this very decadent and tasty dessert of a huge cookie with Canadian Vanilla ice cream (my favorite), Jenn's caramel, and hot fudge on it. It was beyond tasty. (That's right, beyond!)

We snapped this self-portrait at the end of the night. It's so nice to get one with all of us in it since Michelle took the one of the rest of us at dinner.
We also discussed (briefly) our book for September (which we never got to because of scheduling nightmares) and all loved it. It's a little book 145 pages, but packs a punch and is beautifully written. I can definitely recommend this one, there's nothing offensive in it except the fact that it happened at all.

Collette and Amy gave us souvenirs from their travels (we just love gifts). Collette gave us syrup from Canada and literary bookmarks (she said they were ugly but she liked the quotes, ha). Amy also got us a bookmark (from Italy), plus a pencil with artist signatures on it from her trip to The Art Institute in Chicago. (She got us a cool pencil from Italy, but I hadn't gotten mine yet when I took the picture.)

It was a good night, though late. I didn't get home until 1:00am, then ended up reading blogs for a half hour (foolish girl). I feel surprisingly good today, but will most likely be wasted tomorrow. At least it's for a good reason right?
**Do you have a favorite page in the book?
Any fun question ideas for a book like that?
Is this your kind of dessert?
Do you use bookmarks?**


32 comments:
Is this first to comment a trend for me or what? Two in a row, fun.
You gift is genius and is gorgeous! I am in total awe with how Jenn can even conceive such and idea let alone bring it to fruition. I LOVE the black and red and it seems so you.
So glad you had a good birthday celebration. Cafe Rio and the decedent dessert sound just about perfect right now! Yum!
I love how you guys celebrate birthdays!!
The book is gorgeous! I like all the little travel gifts too! Great idea!
The dessert does look beyond good!!
Jenn does have a special gift for making books. Boy do I feel like an idiot for misunderstanding the instructions and necessitating creative surgery to get my pages to work... if I had to pick favorite pages, it would be Amy's purse page and Jenn's good mail page with the envelope from me! man, those girls are clever.
I loved the book and loved even more that you said there was nothing offensive about it except the fact that it happened at all.
I am all about that dessert!
That book is way too cute! I couldn't come up with anything like that if my life depended on it! What thoughtful friends.
Dessert looks so good!
And Happy Birthday a couple of months late!
What a fun night :) What amazing gift.
You have such a great bookclub and friends group. That is a great gift so personalized. and that dessert is really beyond delicious, or so it looks and sounds!
Those books always turn out so amazing. What a talent Jenn has. I think you may have the perfect book group.
I love this book club! Honestly, who goes to Paris with their book club? I love these gifts that are so personal and so amazing! What a treasure to have answered questions from great friends all about YOU! And, the bonus....it looks fantastic as well! AWESOME!!!!
Sounds like a great evening (even late) of great food, great fun and I am sure lots of laughs.
(I am loving your black bench!!! I have been looking for two just like that - perhaps longer. Is that a Utah jewel?)
I love the way you guys do those gifts and want to steal it for my friends!
I wish I had Cafe Rio right now. :( How well do you think it ships?
Happy Birthday again!
And Shell- you weren't kidding, your hair really is straight! It looks awesome!
That amazing gift reflects what a true treasure your friendship is with those gals. It is beautiful.
what a special gift. projects like this one, with that whole "scrapbook" feel, seem soooo overwhelming to me!!
what a treasure. you have such a special friendship with your group!
Wow - what a gift! Gorgeous and so personal! I love the late b-day celebrations - it extends the pleasure and anticipation.
Oh wow! What a gift. I love the questions and the idea that your friends answer them about you.
The dessert looks wonderful. What is Canadian Vanilla Ice Cream? How is it different?
I thought the pictures on the bookmarks were funny...really funny.
It was a great night- I am still in awe over how awesome Michelle's hair is!! And I'm glad you liked your book- you were a little quiet last night, as usual when you have to be in the spotlight. HAPPY BIRTHDAY- you always wished you had a fall birthday anyway, right? :)
The dessert looks delicious. Beyond delicious, actually!
I love bookmarks. I never seem to have one anymore though. Where did they all go? Oh...probably still stuck in a book somewhere. I should go through all my books and find them....
Jil, this is Deanna - Your Witch Switch Sista! THANK YOU so much for the fun package! It came today! Hooray! I love the Trick-or-Treat blocks, and my kids are still playing with them and rearranging them as I type. I just think the cards are too cute, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE my customized Good Mail labels. How do you do it?! So cute! This has been so fun. Thanks for all the goodies! :o)
(oops - sorry I just typed your name wrong!) :o)
awesome awesome! love the gift and the dessert looks so yummy
i love the way you all celebrate and glad to hear that you are STILL celebrating your bday.
i have adopted a surprise "birthday" idea-- you just never know when one will pop into your mailbox! i mean who doesn't love a birthday gift? even if it is not on your actual day. or month (my original plan) or even quarter...
(dang blogging break!)
Hilarious that they were busily trying to finish off your gift (I can see why - so much effort has gone into it!!), and funny to think you were rushing to finish reading the book. You all deserved that indulgent dessert, which is right down my street.
I need to blog about our very first book group meet up at church. We did Victoria Hislop's 'The Island' which was so-so. Now they're touting for suggestions for the next book to do. I'm favouring either:
Girl With a Pearl Earring
English Passengers
or
Letters from Mir: An Astronaut's Letters to His Son
Michelle's hair looks FAB when she straightens it (not that it doesn't look good wavy!).
Congrats on your team's win too. No doubt in no little way due to your coaching influence ;-P
I love Jenn's comment about you wishing you had a fall birthday- it makes the celebrating late seem appropriate!
That book is amazing. I love the page with you all in Paris. So great! That dessert looks so good. We need Jenn's caramel recipe even more now that it has been featured multiple times on more than one blog. It is kinda famous now.
Those bookmarks are cool and it is more than cool that you all bring little things back for eachother.
You have such ag reat support system Jill! Love that they kept to giving you a Happy Birthday party even though it's months later. I love that book and so nice to know it came from your friends. I haven't been reading much, I guess a lot of stuff going on that takes up my thoughts and time. But, when i do read, I love book marks and have one that Craig made me out of our 2nd Christmas tree. Although, it's hasn't been in my grasp lately, so I better see where I put it!
This is totally my kind of dessert! I have such a weekness for cookies.
Your gift is beautiful- what lovely friends.
Happy late birthday!
That just might be the best book you've posted yet. Love it.
That is totally my kind of dessert. I can't even imagine not liking caramel and fudge on ice cream.
you guys know how to celebrate. looks like it was fun, yummy, and the book is darling. with so many creative minds together i wonder how you ever even get to the mundane.
Your book club is really awe-inspiring! Such a wonderful part of your life, it seems. Your gift is really amazing, and I love that cute happy birthday banner.
You know I need to see the book in real life. I thought I would get over this week to bring you the cd but apparently I never leave...
The book club celebrations are fabulous. I love to read about them
A "free" trip to IKEA sounds pretty good too. Can't wait to see what you get. (I just woke up from a dream where I had a really long conversation with Jesse about your armoire.... I am sad to just realize as I am typing that it was a dream and I still have no info for you.)
It's got to be nice to be showered with birthday gifts months from the actually day. It's like the birthday that never ends.
The accordion box is amazing...wow Jenn it looks beautiful. Jill I can't wait to see where you display it.
What a blessing to have such a wonderful group of friends.
collette, is so nice to always bring you guys gifts.
and the gift is awesome, i would love to see one of jenn's creations in person some day.
and again so awesome the group of friends you guys have...i am just a teeny bit jealous, ok a lot a bit.
Really, it looks like so much fun. That bookgroup is a keeper.
I had to post because I ran across your blog and found 2 friends of mine in your pics! Amy and Jana- our husbands were all good friends at byu! Tell them hello from Jami in texas. You have so many great ideas...thanks for sharing!
Great run down of the evening. It was fun. Cafe Rio was a fabulous idea. Glad that you had fun.
I love that you say there is nothing offensive except that it happened at all. I liked the book too. And I think your bookclub group is so much fun. I love seeing the pictures of you all at your gatherings. Yeah we're just not that sophisticated to break out the camera.
Post a Comment