Thursday, April 10, 2008

Creative Thursday--Cafe Rio Edition

Michelle and I had to have Creative Thursday today because I have commitments at the school most of the day tomorrow, but it worked out just fine today.


I used the Cafe Rio gift card Patsy gave me last month so that Michelle and I could have a tasty lunch. Patsy had specifically said in her card to go to lunch with a friend, so that's what I did. Thanks Patsy!


Eva asked me if I'd like to color with her so I did. We made this picture together and then I wrote our names and the date on it so we'd remember, then she told me to "put a heart and I love you on it." Isn't that cute?


Michelle is a self-proclaimed x-actophobe but managed to cut a circle out of this paper today AND be happy with the results (this is a serious accomplishment for her), she even posed willingly for the photo (that's how big this is!).


I finished the cards I had been working on yesterday, cut out some more labels and got a couple packages ready to mail. I love being able to drop things off at the post office on the way home from Michelle's house.


We had such a hard time with out self-portrait today. We actually had to take about 8 of them and they ended up being blurry or full of chins so this is the best we got. I am not happy about these blemishes on my face, but oh well. (This blog delivers the good, the bad and most definitely the ugly!)


I got this thank you note from Liz today for the birthday stationery I sent her. Thanks Liz!


Whitney's best friend's mom brought Whitney and Madison (her daughter) home from school today to play at our house and she also brought me this $100 Visa gift card!!! She is such a nice lady. We are the room moms together for the girls' class and we talk to each other a couple times a week between play dates and school stuff, but this was super unexpected (none more unexpected).

She said that one time her husband had been out of work for 6 weeks and her visiting teacher showed up at their house with bags of groceries for them, and she wanted to do that for us but didn't know what we needed or would want. She's so sweet, I could tell she didn't want to embarrass me but just wanted to give us something and let us know she is thinking about us. I was so touched. We just never know who is thinking about us or where generosity will come from, I have seen this over and over again, especially these past 9 weeks. Wow!

**When was the last time you colored with crayons?
Do you have x-acto knife skills?
Do you post the good, the bad and the ugly?
Have you received super unexpected generosity before?**

23 comments:

Wendi said...

I had lunch at Cafe Rio today too. Wouldn't it have been fun if we had met in real life?!

michelle said...

Wow, you certainly do post the ugly... yikes. But I am proud of my circles, who knew I could do that?

I love how excited Eva was for you to come over, and that was before she knew you were bringing cookies!

Thanks Patsy for a very good lunch today!

And the gift card -- WOW. I'm sure we'd all like to be able to do that. Hooray for your friend for doing it! Most of the generosity I receive is in the form of service, but once when we were really struggling, our bishop handed us an envelope with $200 in it. I am sure it was from my visiting teacher Judy.

Doodle Bugs said...

Yummy salad!!

The gift card was very awesome!

sista # 2 said...

When James broke his foot in half
last month and was laid up in misery awaiting his surgery, we had
2 unexpected gifts of kindness. A
friend stopped by with dinner, unannounced and we had a nice chat.
(I was about to strangle someone from all my stress of 'taking care'
of an adult's every need;grown man.haha)
And the 2nd was a couple we know dropped by with a card -a made up
silly poem about James' accident, with cookies. So out of the blue.
So very thoughtful. We didn't need
the dinner and we didn't need the
cookies, BUT we needed to know that
someone cared about us and our trial and that's what they did for us (the food was a bonus!ha) That's what it's all about:) ciao

Melinda said...

Wow, that is such a wonderful generous gift from your friend! That is so awesome for you.

Sounds like you had a fun day with Michelle. Glad you could still get together.

Oh, BTW, I don't see any blemishes!

Linda said...

OMG that salad looks yummy. I'm a hugh salad lover so that would have been a great treat for me too.

You guys are silly, I haven't seen a bad self-portrait of you two yet...both of you are adorble.

It was incredibly generous of Madison's Mom to give you the gift card. There are alot of wonderful, giving people in this world...even though we usually only see the bad in the world because of the news and such.

How is Randy's job search going? We need an update.

Elisa said...

I am an exactophobe too. Eva's picture is so cute, and you are so sweet to take time away from all your busy label making to color with her.

Tammy said...

When my son had his transplant we were so blessed with lots of unexpected kindness from people. We received lots of help from people in the community.

jenn said...

Nice day.

(I'm kind of emotionally spent on moody kids but wanted to make sure I commented so you knew I was checking in with you!)

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to taste the food at Cafe Rio; Claudia also raves about the food as well.

What wonderful blessings you have received at such a time in need.

jt said...

what blemishes? they are not visible in the photo at least...
i am jealous of your SPs, and creative days to boot. and Cafe Rio.

Andy said...

Ok, you're killing me here with the Cafe Rio.

patsy said...

I am so glad you used the cafe rio card with Michelle- what fun!

Liz said...

Ok, so I don't see these blemishes that you keep referring to. I think you both look great.

I wish I had a friend to get together with and have creative any days with. I know that sounds so lame and all. I really do have friends but no one that really does anything crafty. Strange isn't it.

I think that is such a nice gesture on behalf of your friend to give you that $100 gift card. So completely super nice!!!

Anonymous said...

Coloring with crayons is one of the mother things I enjoy. How cute that Eva wanted your help.

Michelle has skills- that looks like a perfect circle.

The gift card is awesome- wow! I have been on the receiving end so many times- and even though monetarily not on the giving side as much as I would like- I do enjoy serving and think this year I have really changed how I serve.

Bond Girl 007 said...

hey missy....wow...what a nice lady! try the last 9 months....

Amie said...

So nice of Madison's mom. I'm glad people are watching out for you.

I don't post everything.... obviously.... (remember Kristi didn't recognize me in person!) I try to be real without going too far. I do keep in the back of my head that I want this to be around for a long time and not need to be destroyed later.

I'm glad you still were able to get your creative day with Michelle in.... I hope you aren't too hot at the school and that you didn't have to act like a penguin!

amy gretchen said...

I think it's funny how you define your creative days by the food.

I'm not usually a fan of the xacto because I mess up way more than I do what I intended. That circle looked good to me. How come she doesn't have a circle punch?

Love seeing such goodness go around. The gift card must have been an awesome surprise.

Barb said...

Right, Cafe Rio. I must get there during my Women's Conference trip! That blogging reunion is right around the corner! Yippee!

Becky said...

Wow--that is so nice of that mom to give you such a nice gift! I have never received that kind of generosity and I look forward to the day when I am in a financial position to give away something like that.

You and Michelle are both too hard on yourselves! You're both beautiful, I can't even see these blemishes that you keep talking about, and I love the proud little smile on Michelle's face where she is holding up her circle. :)

I have zero x-acto knife skills even though I own one...it scares me...

Eva's picture is cute!

jenny said...

I am drooling over your salad. Yummo! It makes me excited to know that soon I will have that at my fingertips.

I suck at xacto knifes period. I guess that is why I don't own any. That coloring picture is too cute, especially what Eva had you write.

And awesome about Whitney's friends mom. What a blessing!

Laurie said...

What blemishes? You look great, as usual.

Coloring is quite therapeutic for me, and a good way to connect with my 5 year old. I love it.

I've always had a thing for x-acto knives. I love them and keep 2 quite handy.

carlo said...

oh so much going on to play catch up.

jill, i love reading how you are taken care of in this time when you need it. you do so much for others...

Love your Creative edition, any day it shows up!! :)