
We woke up to snow Friday morning so we feared we'd be flinging spring rather than having a spring fling with the first graders at Whitney's school. Enough already with the snow! Fortunately it melted in an hour, but it was still breezy and nippy, especially considering it was April 11th! (Notice the chairs are blown over and Landon's footprints across the grass from moments before when he'd left for school.)

All the moms (or aunts or grandmas) of the first graders reported to the classrooms at 10:15 and then "got" to sit in very small chairs (my butt didn't do very well, thank heaven I couldn't see myself from back there) as our kids read to us and showed us their notebooks, journals and miscellaneous desk stuff.

Then we had "centers" which involved making 3 art projects. For most of the parent/child combinations this meant some sort of collaboration, but for Whitney and I it meant me handing her the glue. She takes her art way too seriously to let me have a say in it. It made the hour of sitting in that little chair a bit hard to take except that she wrote both of our names on the back of all the projects, so that was cute.

We then had four rotations of activities. One involved dropping gummy worms into a cup placed on our child's forehead as they laid on the ground. The kids thought this was hilarious and a riotous good time. The moms were looking around at each other like "this is it?"

Station 2 involved each of us throwing a Frisbee back and forth with our child while standing in very close proximity with the other moms and kids. This was pandemonium. There were Frisbees flying everywhere, so people kept getting hit with them. It was pretty funny, but I don't think that was the point of that game. Lots of people got thunked pretty hard so they really weren't loving this game.

Station 3 involved the kids being blindfolded and then having to find their parent who was making an animal sound to call to them (the sound was agreed upon ahead of time). So all the kids were fumbling forward while the moms were making ridiculous sounds. I was yelling "cah-cah, cah-cah" like a demented bird. (I couldn't resist taking a blind-folded self portrait.)

Station 4 involved planting a flower in front of the school. This was easy and rather sweet.

Then it was time for a picnic lunch on the classroom floor. We had signed up to buy lunch for this day (what was I thinking?) but when my sack lunch of a turkey sandwich (um, I don't think so), a small green apple, 6 baby carrots and 2 pouches of Scooby snacks arrived I had some remorse. I drank my chocolate milk in one gulp, ate the apple and the Scooby snacks but couldn't bring myself to eat anything else.

Our last stop for the day was recess. Whitney demonstrated her jumping roping skills and then had me take a turn (sweet fancy Moses, it had been about 25 years since I last jumped rope). It was actually pretty fun until I saw the many photos (now deleted) that Whitney snapped of me while I was jumping. Why didn't anyone tell me I look 9 months pregnant? I thought I only looked 6 months pregnant! (I've been working out, what's going on?)

There was some photo taking with Whitney's friends and then some pushing on the swing until the recess bell finally sounded. I was so tired. Elementary school is exhausting, even when doing just a 3 hour stint.

The hall was decked out with pictures the kids had drawn of their moms, so I just had to take a self-portrait with Whitney's version of me. Her note says that she loves me because I help her with her homework (who knew?). This could have been very telling and gone horribly wrong, so I was relieved that she was kind. It was hilarious to look at some of the pictures though, there were some Picasso-esque versions of parents, and one boy drew his dad with brown skin, but his dad is very white in real life.
After this day and such a busy week I am ready to veg out during next week's spring break!
**Does your school do stuff like this?
Have you ever played a version
of death by Frisbee like this?
What animal sound would you have chosen?
When was the last time you jumped rope?**
Have you ever played a version
of death by Frisbee like this?
What animal sound would you have chosen?
When was the last time you jumped rope?**
16 comments:
Oh Jill, your recap of the day is so entertaining to read. What a fun post to have in your archives. I so wish you wouldn't have deleted the jump rope pictures :)
I love that she gave your portrait perfectly lined and lipsticked lips! Nice kissers!
This is great. I still can't believe it is a 3 hour event and not just a brief visit. I'm glad you made it through...
The kids must have loved this.
I get sad at how lacking Leina's 1st grade experience has been. I pray 2nd will be better.
Of course you used cah-cah as your animal noise! Just what I would have predicted. You must have been mighty hungry after your non-lunch. I can't even remember the last time I jumped rope, and I definitely would not be okay about being photographed while doing it! It all sounds like a lot of fun for the kids, hee.
oops. damn that fractalman...
I would have either needed advil, a Route 44 diet coke, or an adult beverage post spring fling.
What a cute cute day! I hope our schools do this.
I hate to think what would've happened had I been one of the frisbee-throwing moms. I would have been chased away; I am SO bad at frisbee! It always flies at right angles from where my hand tries to throw it.
I read your lunch menu and immediately thought of Adam Sandler & Chris Farley doing the "Lunch Lady" song. HA! Ahhh, school lunch....
Your lips look sexy in Whitney's portrait...woot!
You are cracking me up! Last week my friend's daughter was trying to learn to jump roupe and wanted me to jump in while they sang "Cinderella,dressed in yella..." Evie thought it was funny, but I lasted about 4 jumps...
wow missy...you were really busy there...but cah cah cah cah? I think that would have been funny to see and hear! Just kidding.....I think I would have done a lion or cat.... I don't know really! It is funny, since Alexei and I played frisbee at the beach for the first time yesterday...He was quite good after trying to teach him forever and forever...I am not a good teacher, I get frustrated fast and can be very impatient
That is a long time to have moms come- wow!
You won't touch a turkey sandwich? You know I love you- but, seriously, how do you survive? I guess it gives me hope that Ethan will survive on fruit snacks and strawberries.
Your description of the activities is hilarious.
Okay- three hours.... wow that's a long time. I think I would've gone a little nuts.
or a lot nuts- you are a good sport!
Your rendition of Spring Fling reminds me of my Thkg Pt field trip the other day, it makes me laugh! I was so exhausted by the end and all day I kept asking myself, "Seriously, this is it?" mainly b/c of the weather, not the nature of the activities, but still... The demented bird call sounds hilarious but I love the gummy worm idea. I can see the kids loving that.
my personal theory is that, if i NEVER jumprope, there will NEVER be photos of it that need to be deleted...
Post a Comment