Tuesday, August 05, 2008

The Curse Continues

Oh my goodness, yesterday was our 10th time at Seven Peaks this year and the first time I felt done with it for good. (It's a good thing next week is our last time before school starts.) Our area was NOT infringed upon, the grass was wet but not saturated, the kids were in good form, Michelle and her kids finally joined us (it was only her 3rd time this year), and the weather was nice BUT...


I foolishly decided to go on the rope swing after Landon begged me to and said, "Come on Mom, make an impression!" How could I refuse that? (By saying no thanks honey, it may just be the death of me.") So I stood in line with Landon and James, handed Max my sunglasses for safe keeping, and moved forward as Michelle, Whitney, Eva and Jessica looked on bemusedly (that's right, bemusedly) from a neighboring pool.


I reviewed my mental checklist...
Bathing suit, board shorts, t-shirt all in-tact for full coverage...check!

Rope wrapped many times around very thick and secure pole because I don't want to be the fat lady who breaks it...check!
Rope diameter appears to be 4 inches, that's manageable...check.

Pool is 9 feet deep by about 12 feet wide, that's safe...check.

So I moved forward, grabbed the rope, swung out just enough to clear the safety padding and then let go/slid off the rope into the water while giving a little "yelp" as I plunged into the water. My ears popped rather painfully and the swim to the ladder felt farther than it should have (I'm not a strong swimmer) and involved me gulping down a mouth full of water (sickening). I climbed out of the pool and instantly felt like I'd made a HUGE mistake. I felt light-headed, way out of control of my body, and like I may have wrecked my ears. (I just love feeling like I'm 80.)


{Video of the kids reviewing my stunt.}

I stood there for a minute or two more and then headed back to camp where Amie was sitting with her sister-in-law Lacey. She couldn't believe I did it and was bummed she didn't get to witness it. As I described how I felt, I said "I can't believe I feel so..." and she said, "OLD!" That pretty much sums it up. I think I should stop trying to be the fun mom because my body just isn't cooperating any more.


I ended up sitting in the sun by the side of the kiddie pool with Michelle (as we watched Eva troll for a friend) and ended up getting a headache that turned into a full-on migraine by the time I got home.

As we were leaving for the day (around 6:15 which is early for us) I was apologizing to Amie for being "the life of the party" and she reminded me that I actually do well when I don't try to do things in an attempt to be the life of the party for my kids. Good point. I should just stay in my chair under the umbrella for safe keeping.


This was one of our neighbors yesterday...yikes! Amie gets so sicked out by freakishly hairy men that it just cracks me up. I think this is nasty too, but think she's hilarious about it. (I couldn't resist sneaking this picture.)

**Would you go on the rope swing?
Does sitting in the sun for too long give you a headache?
Do you feel like your mind thinks
you can do things, that your body can no longer do?
How do you feel about hairy backs?**

35 comments:

Tasha said...

Oh Missy Jill! (Borrowing from Claudia) You ROCK! Yes, my body sometimes thinks it can do things I am, in fact, too old to do! I did the sky coaster at the Celebration Station a month ago, and while exhilirating, I felt foolish in the harness. I get a bad headache from being in the sun too long, especially when I don't have sunglasses. Same with squinting into the snow.

The man with the hairy back, I just can't even comment, I just feel like I need to cough up a fur ball.

Oh, I would have tried the rope swing, I think. I did the twisty slide with Evie at the Aquatic Center last time we went. The water was so cold I wanted to cry, but I did it. I have fond memories of rope swinging as a kid,so what the hey!

Amie said...

My mind does not know that I am a fat girl yet.... sad and frightening.

I just don't know what I would have done if Jimmy's back had morphed on me... I am afraid it is a deal breaker.

I'm sorry you had a rough day and I'm sorry if my comments were harsh... blunt and sarcastic don't translate well in writing.

Charity said...

My brother-in-law just went swimming with the scouts. He came home and announced he had a new nick-name....chewy....

My sister said that wasn't disclosed to her before she was married. I have to say I would have been a little sicked out if I had been her!

Great, (and gross at the same time) picture!

Cecilia said...

Oh, Jill I just love coming here here to visit your blog...You crack me up with your jokes!

I can't believe you went on the rope swing...What a great and fun Mom you are, even though your body didn't like the adventure :)

I might have a nightmare now, after seeing that picture of the hairy back...eww!!!

Holly said...

You are brave--and fun! Sorry your body kinda rebelled and you got a headache--yuck. I might attempt a rope swing across a river, not sure at a water park.

Being out in the sun too long can give me a doozy of a headache (esp. after a run).

That poor man. Sadly, I've seen worse. Carpets.

Amy said...

I think just going to Seven peaks every week for a full day makes you a pretty fun mom! Take it easy next week and enjoy your last pre-school outing.

michelle said...

Watching you do the rope swing was awesome! (and I would not say I was watching bemusedly -- admiringly, more like it!) I don't know if I've ever done a rope swing, and I don't think I'd do it without board shorts to prevent chafing... Great idea to video the kids' reaction!

I feel so badly about you getting a migraine. You probably would have avoided it if you hadn't been sitting in the sun with me!

Sadly, I feel like my mind is catching on to what my body is capable of.

I don't enjoy hairy backs, but I'm cracking up at Amie's comment!

patsy said...

You are brave- or crazy!!! for sure

I love that you did the rope swing & if that was the last time... so what YOU DID IT- :)

I hate that my mind & body aren't on the same page, but it's probably better that way. I'm not sure my mind really wants to know the bad news, if you know what I mean?!
what a great summer full of memories- you are the fun mom- headache or not.

Kim Sue said...

actually my mind keeps me from doing things that I might could actually pull off physically....in the words of my daughter "mom's a scaredy cat". On the other hand, her dad is not, so she has a good mix :) So, good for you for trying. Now you can just mark that off the list as been there done that!

{natalie} said...

it is so weird to hear your voice in that video....because we've never spoken and i've never heard your voice. make sense? anyways, your kids crack me up and i love that whitney says your splash wasn't too big.

you are brave to go off the rope, i don't think i would have done it. this post made me smile this morning and i hope your headache went away.

ps that hairy back is hysterical.

becca said...

I am sorry but I am laughing so hard! You are a GREAT mom to be such a good sport and I give you props for trying to be the life of the party for your kids...but that video of the kids just cracks me up!

I hope your head feels better today (there is nothing worse than clogged ears and that dizzy headache that comes with it!!)

AMie is a crack up with "the things she can't stand on men". There are a lot more than just hairy backs (as I am sure you know :), but she is funny about the hair!!

Price Cream Parlor said...

I loved the video of your littles! When they both swung their arm in the same direction as they were reliving your swing - cracked me up! So dang cute! I think that is so awesome that you did that!
I will laugh out loud if you have a lurker who belongs to that hairy beast! HA! - I am a firm believer in wax or the razor! Yikes!

Becky said...

Awesome video--scary freaky hairy guy! You are a good mom, Jill!

I loved your post about chores as well. We have always expected our kids to help and I'm amazed when OTHER people are amazed that my 3-year-old makes his bed and helps with dishes and does some dusting. My 7 and 5-year-olds help with yard work, do some bathroom cleaning, vacuum, and are learning how to do laundry. My 7-year-old also started to learn how to cook this year.

My job as a mom is to teach my kids the skills they need so that someday they won't need me :)

Rebecca said...

Your video totally made this post for me! Whitney's take on it was hillarious! What a fun Mom. This Mom wouldn't have dared, so kudos to you!!

rmt said...

Hee, hee-I'm laughing out loud right now. I think it's great that you did it-your kids will be talking about it forever. Maybe they'll tell the story at your 90th birthday party: "Remember that time when mom went on the rope swing..." I remember random things like that from my childhood, and they are some of my favorite memories.
Yes, I do get a headache from being in the sun. Bummer.
Yuck on the hairy back. That man might just be part werewolf.

Shauna said...

I am laughing so hard (with you, not at you) because every summer I visit Seven Peaks, I have a dramatic story to tell.
You were a good sport and a good mom!

Laurie said...

You're awfully brave! I probably wouldn't risk it on the rope swing. I love the video of your kids describing it..."like a pencil." That's great.

That hair is disgusting. So funny that you got a photo though.

Bond Girl 007 said...

Oh missy, i can't believe all the preparations you go through before you actually take the plunge, I would probably just go for it and then find out I broke the rope or something like that....but you are brave girl...and you should be more like this missy...the adventurous missy the ones that goes for it. I think that just doing it becaUSE Landon asked for it, is wonderful. You should be soo proud of yourself, too bad it came with a migrane...I am sorry about that...Alexei, is always delighted to tell me to do a cannon ball....so I try to the with the biggest splash....it is just life. I guess.
I rather do dives...they go more smoothly and less noticeable....heheheheh

Elizabeth said...

Wax the back for sure.

I try not to stop doing things because I fear I will turn into my Mom who at 69 won't put more then a big toe in the ocean.
I think I might have skipped the rop swing though because I have water ear issues also.

carlo said...

ok, hands down, best mom of the summer award, in my opinion.

:)

jenn said...

I am floored by 40 year old women who decide to have babies because YES, my mind tells my body it can do things when it "just can't Nemo."

Sorry the day ended with a headache- you get points for jumping!

Andy said...

Oh. My. Gosh. That commontary by the kids is classic. I LOVE their syncronized arm swinging demo! It really gave me a nice visual. I'll say it again, you are a brave woman when it comes to the water park. I LOVE your water antics. LOVE them!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

That close-up picture of Whitney is great! I love the water droplets and pursed lips.

Oh gee, yes. Some things still feel so doable in my head. Sadly, I don't think I'd have tried the rope. I have such weak upper arm strength that even if the beam had held me, my arms wouldn't have and I'd have been like a skipped rock gone bad.

Is your headache gone yet?

charlotte said...

Ha, I quite enjoyed your kids' review of your swing venture, and I think I would have fun on the swing. I've never swung on a rope swing into a pool before, but it looks like fun to me.

The hairy back is pretty much disgusting--ew.

I also get headaches sometimes when I'm outside for too long. I'd take the hairy back over a migraine for sure.

Emily said...

Ack! The hairy back.

crystal said...

What? You don't find that back to be sexy?

Good reminder to me never to rope-swing.

Ever.

crystal said...

Amie: no need for a deal-breaker. Just warm up the hot wax and get to work.

Natasha said...

Did Whitney say you looked like a pencil on the swing?!

Kristy said...

Fun day! I went to a water park yesterday with my kids and kept falling off my tube on a water slide....it was pretty embarrassing!!!

Jana said...

OK...I'm laughing! I don't know what else to say.

I, too, am grossed out by hairy men -- especially on the back. Looks like he needs a good wax job!

Lucy said...

I don't know what to say without alienating you and a lot of other people I really like. Yes, your blog is your blog, and you can say what you like, as can others, and if I don't like it I can just stop reading. I get it. But I feel like there is a pack of girls on the playground making fun of the unsuspecting boy at recess and it feels mean. Someone should stand up and defend him.

I think there's a fine line to balance when poking fun at someone's expense. Sometimes, people ask for it. Like absurd outfits, or appalling behavior. Calling out the ridiculous, the hilarious or the silly is funny. However, in regards to your personal reaction to a man's, an actual man's, back hair, should have been left as a private conversation. The line was crossed when you put a picture of someone else's body on the internet...the body someone was born with and the body someone chooses to be o.k. with. You must know that he is aware of his hair, most likely hates it, but braves the waterpark anyway. The debate about it here makes me sad. How is his condition any different from the overweight, the crossed eye, the deformed? Yes, he could wax, he could shave, he could stay home covered. Who cares? He shouldn't have to risk the ridicule of a bunch of moms on the internet by choosing not to.

You asked what I thought. I replied.

j said...

ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!! i read this and could not comment due to tears of laughter streaming down my face when i saw the hairy man. i love that picture and i love that you had the guts to take it!!

Anonymous said...

Luci - spoken like a bitter overweight woman with a hairy backed husband and cross eyed children.

Relax.

Anonymous said...

to anonymous...uncalled for.

KariAnn said...

To anonymous, can you call yourself a Christian after a comment like that? Isn't the idea to build and lift each other? That was low, and truly sad.