Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sunday Thoughts

Our new Relief Society President gave a fantastic talk last Sunday and shared a story about her sister's struggle to teach her 2 year old son to stay in his big-boy bed rather than come to sleep in his parents' bed. She and her husband had such a hard time that they finally sought help from a psychologist who told them to put a lock on the outside of the boy's door. The psychologist asked them, "Do you want to make this child feel good for a night or strengthen him for a lifetime?"


Of course they wanted to strengthen him for a lifetime, so they installed the lock on his door, then talked about it all day long to prepare him. Inevitably he woke up in the night and tried to open the door, but found it locked. He began to scream, so his mother came to the other side of the door and talked to him. She had him put his fingers under the door where she could touch them and she soothed him by saying "I'm right here." She spent that night and the next night asleep on the floor outside his door like that, but then never had a problem with him getting out of his bed again!


I was so touched by this story and by the metaphor of our Heavenly Father sending us to earth to teach us lessons that will strengthen us for an eternity. He is our father, He loves us, and He knows what is best for us even though it means suffering on our parts. He is right there if we go to Him; we can be soothed and know that we can make it through the struggles that feel so insurmountable.

**Thoughts??**

Comment Window Tidbit: We have 2:00 church, yet are in a hurry today (good thing I'm blogging) what in the world?

10 comments:

Amber said...

I had some friends who solved the same problem sort of the same way. They would just lock their door, so that every morning they'd open the door and step on any number of kids in sleeping bags.

I appreciate the comparison to Heavenly Father's knowledge of what we need to learn, despite the pain and misery of it all.

Laurie said...

This was EXACTLY what I needed to hear today Jill. Thank you!

patsy said...

2:00 church- always late
9:00 church- feel like we're going to be late, but usually early
??? crazy how that works!

Beautiful thoughts here.
thanks for sharing

Susannah said...

I'm not sure how I stumbled to your blog, but thank you for posting this. It reminded me that what is best for me isn't always what I think is best.

Anonymous said...

That sound very much like our sermon at church Sunday. God being there for us during difficult times and helping us to the other side of them. Being there and wanting us to make the choice to sometimes take the harder road because it's the road he has paved for us and he's there with us as we walk it. Right outside the door. :)

(wow...that was a rambling run-on sentence wasn't it? You knew what I meant though right? xoxo)

michelle said...

Your last paragraph really sums it up. It must be so hard for Him to watch us suffer and know that we just have to endure certain trials. And knowing that we really can be comforted and strengthened is huge. HUGE.

becca said...

Wow...what an amazing message. Perfect. thank you.

Anonymous said...

will you please post again what is in your conference care kits for VT??????!!!

Rebekah said...

Sometimes I want to bust that door down...

emily said...

Thank you for this message. This story will stick with me.