Monday, May 03, 2010

Roommate Weekend--Day 1...The Whole Story


While waiting for Kristi to arrive, Landon was also waiting to get picked up for his soccer game, so he yelled "Bye mom, they're here" and ran out to the car and then was totally surprised to find Kristi instead (her rental car was similar to his friend's car), she took this picture of me laughing as I realized what was happening; you can see Landon's hand doing a "what the?" in the side mirror.


Moments after Kristi's arrival Wednesday evening she started unloading her suitcase with all these goodies for me. Apparently these are items she's been meaning to mail me at various times over the past year or so (there are multiple Christmas decorations) but never did it. It was delightful for me of course, but embarrassing for her.


The greatest thing was when I realized that the vintage Brownie camera she brought me would go perfectly in my long-empty cloche! It's like a Christmas miracle, but different.


Kristi was delighted when I brought out the big bowl of caramel popcorn my mom had made for us (she also made a huge tub of chocolate chip cookies for us). I think this was the best batch my mom has ever made, and we had no trouble finishing it off over the next few days.


I'd stocked our fridge with Diet Coke for Michelle and Kristi and had a fresh bag of pebble ice available for their drinking pleasure. The ice is a snack for me, but apparently some people just like it for its cooling properties.

After Randy and the kids left to stay at Lori's house (finally!), Kristi and I ate some egg rolls and watched "Glee" before she finally had to head to bed. Michelle didn't arrive until 11:30 that night, so she and I stayed up and talked for an hour so before heading to bed ourselves.


We were up and going by 6:30am on Thursday in order to get to BYU in time to park, hike up the hill and get to Sister Beck's opening talk, but Michelle managed to look all kinds of cute AND was able to touch up her nail polish so that she didn't have to be embarrassed of her feet. She still hasn't been able to get a pedicure in the month since her birthday.


Our first (of many) self-portraits of our weekend. Kristi slyly took some video during this process and it is quite funny.


Kristi's car self-portrait.


It was rather nice being the passenger instead of the driver this time around, even though it meant several close-calls along the way, hee.



About a mile away from the house I realized I'd forgotten my Sunday notebook (%#@!), but didn't want to make us late, so I ran into the grocery store to get a new one and to buy one for Kristi as well.


The approach to campus is an enjoyable sight!


Because Kristi was driving, she didn't sit in the back of the traffic the way I would have. She charged up the left lane, then spied a home owner selling parking spaces in his yard for $10, so she pulled right in. It was so awesome because it meant we didn't have to hike up the hill to the Marriott center, we were right across the street from it, woohoo!


Best $10 she ever spent!


Also, because of our great parking space we were able to meet darling blog friend (who knew us but we didn't know her) Bree ran over and hugged Kristi within 30 seconds of us parking the car. I looked at Michelle and said, "Already?" because people are always running up to hug Kristi. We were surprised that Bree knew us too and was familiar with all our blogs.


She was just so cute and so complimentary, that meeting her was a great way for us to start our Women's Conference experience.


It's always a powerful experience to be one of the many women gathered in this huge building for one of the classes, but especially for this great one by Sister Beck. We felt super charged and teary after that class and so, so glad we'd gotten up early and gotten there in time.


After our first class, we made our way over to the Hinckley building for a class about mothers and daughters, and we ran in to blogging friend Ciria. We first met her last year at Women's Conference, then I ended up teaching that good mail class for her ward in January of this year.


Sadly, we were turned away from the mother/daughter class (along with many other women) because it was already full of 600 women, sheesh.


We walked down to the Smith Field House to catch a different class, but ended up being hugely disappointed by it. That venue holds over 3,000 people, so we were expecting something good and ended up just sitting there eating our trail mix, browsing the class schedule and Michelle even got out her knitting. What the?!


The real kicker of the disappointing class was that we had to hike up these stairs afterward. Holy crap I'm out of shape!! I haven't even been going walking lately, so I was so incredibly winded and embarrassed. Kristi played the "Rocky" theme on her iphone as we climbed it, but that just mocked me further.


We caught our breath as we shuffled back to the Marriott Center (without any crowds because we were slow going) and got there in time to get some lunch and listen to the General YW Presidency speak. They did a great job and were quite inspiring (I've got notes to add, but those will go in a Sunday Thoughts post), but we were surprised by the small number of women there for that class. Maybe because it was lunch time or something, but it didn't look like nearly as many people there as you would expect for such great speakers.


Since we didn't have any classes picked out for the end of the day, and because we were ready to go, we opted to leave campus and do some other things instead.


I love this picture of Kristi, but am bummed that I can't remember why she was laughing so hard.


One of the things on Kristi's to-do list was to go to Jamba Juice. We stopped there and all got a tasty smoothie, then headed up the street to catch a movie, weeha!


"Date Night" was starting at the perfect time for us so we hid our smoothies in our purses and got some comfy seats on the top row. I ended up laughing right away at the beginning of the movie and totally got the giggles. The movie ended up being way funnier than I'd mentally prepared for so it was definitely a thumbs up for me...though Michelle rested her eyes at one point.


After the movie, we went to a cute home decor store, the distribution center and Deseret Book.


We called to order Cafe Rio take-out on the way home and then stopped at Wal-Mart to see about buying some tush-cushes for all the bleacher sitting we do at Women's Conference. Kristi was kind enough to try it out in the middle of the aisle. We didn't end up buying them though because the top of them has a metal bar that curves out and we decided that made it too bulky to carry around.


We found this lovely surprise when we got back to the house. Whitney had disrobed after school and left everything on the floor of Kristi's guest suite...aye carumba!


Our dinner was so good!


We stayed up late watching "Prime" and eating caramel popcorn, and I do believe everyone stayed awake for the whole thing. Good times.

**Did you make it through this post?
Would you have zoomed ahead in traffic or waited in line?
What's your favorite kind of smoothie?
Have you seen "Date Night"?**

Comment Window Tidbit: It is no easy task to post about such a big weekend, especially when there were soooo many pictures taken between the 3 of us. It's a good problem to have, but it's still a problem.

19 comments:

Ashley said...

I love reading about your Women's Conference experience! I'm glad your experience seems more like mine than I imagined--lots of getting turned away, some mediocre classes, and leaving early for food and shopping! By the way, because of you I bought the Forgotten Garden at the airport and I'm totally hooked--only about 200 more pages to go!

Liz said...

It sounds like you girls had such a great time!

I'm not sure which I would have done...waited in traffic or zoomed around. Probably waited in traffic.

LOVE smoothies, especially tropical flavor ones.

Have not seen Date Night, but I saw a preview and it does look supper funny!

Melinda said...

I would have zoomed and payed for the parking. Worth every cent indeed!

I don't drink smoothies. I am not a fruit person. I haven't seen date night but have been wondering if it was good or not.

This was a fun post to read about!

crystal said...

I'm a zoomer!

I love reading about roomate weekend & so glad you had fun! That photo of you laughing is just happy:)

Matt and Tiana said...

Thank you for you posting of Women's Conference. It was just the shot in the behind I needed! Looks like you ladies had lots of fun.

{natalie} said...

looks like a very fun weekend and makes me wish i had made better friends in college.

Laurie said...

Serious fun. Thanks for sharing about Sis Beck's talk. Love reading notes.

I would get winded on those stairs too. I think back in the day I was in shape, but not anymore.

Amber said...

I enjoy reading these yearly posts. You do Women's Conference right!!

everything pink! said...

i think it is the D.C. girl in me now that zooms around, years past the Louisiana girl would have waited and waited....

Rebekah said...

Oh, I would love to drive with Kristi! I do think it is the DC girl in her. Whenever I have an aggressive cab driver I tip them an extra few dollars.

michelle said...

I'm feeling the posting problem big time. It's hard to sift through so many photos and activities and feelings.

I'm totally not a zoomer, I would have parked at the stadium and we would have missed out on the sweet parking and Bree!

I'm cracking up over "apparently some people just like it for its cooling properties."

It was an almost perfect day!

Ciria said...

Loved the post! Especially since I made it in there! hehehe!

I just have my husband by pass everything and drop me off at the front door!

I love Caribbean passion but then I break out in hives because I am allergic to mangos - but once a year I do it!

Becky said...

Soo much goodness in one post!

I am drooling over your vintage camera in the cloche...sigh.

Cara @ Gardenview Cottage said...

I loved your post! I always go to the front of the parking spaces chanting Jon Pace, Jon Pace (my BFF's husband) he is the KING of getting the 1st row parking space every time. Whenever I chant his name I get one too! I posted all the jamba juice recipes on my blog once. i found them online and so now I can make them at home anytime. It's super grand!

patsy said...

love it- so glad you sifted through all the pictures & fun to write this post :)

jenn said...

Yes, I made it through. You can feel the happiness in Kristi's smiles!

Waited. And waited. And waited.

Lime or raspberry.

No- but you are not the first to say it was funny.

(I'll have to try and remember to ask what prime is at book club because I have never heard of it.)

Andy said...

Good friends, good food, and spiritually fed. What a great combo.

Cafe Rio!

Kim Sue said...

so fun that you guys hit the ground running with no sign that there has been a year since you were last together!
{love that little camera!}

Denise said...

Sounds like the perfect weekend to me--and yes, I did make it through the whole post! I would not have zoomed ahead in traffic but am delighted that you found such a prime parking spot. And speaking of "Prime," what movie is that, anyway? Never heard of it.