Sunday, May 02, 2010

Sunday Thoughts

Oh my goodness, I have A LOT of catching up to do after these past few days of our Women's Conference weekend, but it's totally fitting that my first post back is a Sunday Thoughts post, because I am on a serious spiritual high!


Sister Beck's talk at the opening session of Women's Conference set the tone for the entire conference and brought the Spirit so strongly that I have felt tender and in-tune ever since. What a gift this has been for our weekend. It has meant that we have had great conversations, spiritual insights, and we all have a firm resolve to step up our "game" as a wives, mothers, leaders, visiting teachers, friends, and people in general.


I don't recall my heart ever feeling this full before. My soul feels lighter and stronger, full of goodness and a desire to serve. I want to ALWAYS feel like this and would like everyone else to be able to feel like this as well.

I wish I had the transcript from her talk, but for now these are the notes I managed to write down...I seriously couldn't write fast enough to keep up with all the amazing things she said.

  • We should strengthen and lift not just ourselves and our ward members, but the world.
  • We know what we're supposed to do.
  • What is your mission?
  • We are here to develop ourselves and the kingdom of God.
  • Taking care of our posterity takes precedence over all other things.
  • Rebekah from the Old Testament knew how to receive revelation.
  • We are pivotal to the history of our families.
  • We have the power to know God's will for us.
  • We have access to blessings of the Holy Ghost, priesthood power and spiritual gifts.
  • Go to the temple and pay attention to how things happen, the blessing given and by who?
  • The power to receive revelation is the greatest gift we can have.
  • Being able to feel the Lord's spirit and influence is the best education we can have.
  • We have to know our responsibilities and how to fill those.
  • We can increase our faith and personal righteousness.
  • Seek out and help those in need.
  • We have responsibilities as women and a Relief Society.
  • The Lamanite mothers were strong and taught their families so they did not doubt.
  • Mothers are a lioness at the gate. If we believe in something we make it happen (i.e., paying tithing, family home evening, church attendance, missionary preparation).
  • Devote your life to preparing kids for missions.
  • We must prioritize so that we're focusing on what's most important.
  • Essential Things--know the mind and will of God. (Prayer, scripture study, share the gospel, give service, attend the temple.
  • Necessary Things--make a home where the Spirit can dwell (Make mealtimes a place a togetherness and teaching, be a comfort to your husband, be self-reliant).
  • Nice Things--all the extra stuff. (Lunch with girl friends, pleasure reading, hobbies.)
  • There is cumulative power in spending time daily in the scriptures.
  • Take a pencil and paper with you when praying so you can record impressions you receive.
  • Ponder, fast and pray.
  • The swing shift (late afternoon when kids and husband return home) is the most important time of day for us as mothers. We should safe guard this time and be prepared so that we are in good form to listen, advise, nurture and love as needed. This is a time of strength and power. If we have used our energy elsewhere we won't have it to give where it is needed most.
  • Prioritize our days so we know where our energy is being spent.
  • Wards were not meant to be Single or Family wards, we are ALL part of a ward family.
  • Visiting teaching will save us in days to come.
  • Visiting teachers are first responders.
  • We are part of a RELIEF Society.
  • Write in the front of a Book of Mormon
  • 1. Who am I?
  • 2. What are my responsibilities?
  • 3. How do I fulfill those?
  • Power and strength will come to us as we are mindful of these questions as we read the Book of Mormon.
  • We don't always see the outcome of our efforts.
  • Our lives are an investment.
  • We must have a powerful faith.
  • Keeping worldly influences at bay is a constant work.
This is a lot to process, but I love how Sister Beck tells it like it is and doesn't sugar coat things. She spoke with a sense of urgency and basically called us to action as sisters. I plan to review my notes regularly, evaluate the areas I need to improve in, and am going to set goals for myself so I can change my ways.

**Thoughts??**

Comment Window Tidbit: It was so wonderful that today was Testimony Meeting at church. I thought I was going to burst if I didn't go up and share some of my thoughts...I love it when that happens.

23 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I am so glad you shared your notes! So many motivators here!

andrea said...

Sister Beck's words have truly changed my life in many ways. Her talk was amazing, as always. What a great way to start the conference. Now I'm home and trying to implement everything I learned. It was so great to see you and the girls at Amy's class.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Wow. I'm so glad it was such an inspiring weekend for you. I, too, love Sister Beck's ability to unite and inspire women.

Rebekah said...

The difference between Essential things/Necessary Things and Nice Things is huge, and one that I think is especially hard for us as women. The Nice Things are taking precedent too many times.

The thoughts about the 'swing shift' are so true, yet that's the most difficult time of the day for so many mothers! Well, everyone. No one has energy at that point.

patsy said...

I am so glad you posted these notes! I looked on KBYU & haven't seen a rebroadcast yet...? if you find out there will be one- will someone post that????

Today-- we had a regional conference & sister beck spoke! it sounds like she covered some of the same information. i was SO HAPPY she was speaking since I feel so ripped off having missed her at W. conference.

YES- the blogger moms are already planning out next year... I hope it works.

I didn't write inmy post that right now I just couldn't leave my family for W. conference. I am really needed here, especially with everything hailey is going through. It's been really hard- but it's okay. I'm too busy to miss jack as much as I would have...

Barb said...

I have been checking BYU website for this years transcripts. I'm glad to have been once because when I read her words I can feel her spirit. Even when I read your notes I feel Sister Beck's spirit.
(I've been wondering if or how she is related to the general YM president. Do you know?)

everything pink! said...

i am seriously going to make an apron to wear during the "swing shift"

great note taking!!!

Kris said...

Thank you for all of these wonderful notes. I didn't go to the conference but now I feel like I have a taste of it. I love Sister Beck too, the truth hurts sometimes but I need to hear it! Thank you for taking the time to share all of this!

michelle said...

This is just what I'm going to post about tonight!

And I too thought I might burst if I didn't bear my testimony today. That rarely happens to me.

Unknown said...

I needed this.

I got more out of your blog post that all of church.

It was a bad kid day at church if you know what I mean.

I didn't hear more than three words from any of the testimonies.

SO THANK YOU!!!

j said...

i really love this, jill. thanks for posting these. like erin, i had screaming kids at church today. :) so this helps a lot.

i've got to make some goals. i love sister beck- she really does tell it like it is. she is a perfect example of being a woman who knows her divine role in life and does not apologize for it- she just keeps working towards it.

i'm bummed your weekend is over. can't you three stay together for a week longer at least?!

Liz said...

Thanks for sharing your notes from Sister Beck. I wish I could have been there this year. She is an elect lady, and I really enjoy hearing from her.

Melinda said...

These are such great notes! I love listening to Sister Beck, and love how she gets straight to the point also. We need it in these days. When I was reading my scriptures last night, I decided to just "flip" and read where I landed, hoping for some inspiration, and the three sections I flipped, coincide with these notes so perfectly! I felt like I was really being told something and then I came here and Bam!. I am being reminded of so many things. Thanks for posting.

Natasha said...

The swing shift one really speaks to me. So often by that time of day I already feel emotionally spent when I really should focus on what my family needs from me. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

becca said...

Oh Jill, thank you for posting this and for taking such EXCELLENT notes!! I needed to hear all of this!! I have already copied it and printed it out so I can read it again and again! The "swing shift"....I need to work on this one big time!

Thanks for sharing!

jenn said...

I'm trying to feel your strength after a week of feeling frustrated, overwhelmed and angry.

I'm trying to accept and choose a better place and your post helps.

The swing shift kills me. Did she have any ideas on how to safeguard and prepare for that time?

amy gretchen said...

her talk was such an answer to my prayers, I loved it. I wrote like crazy the whole time and am so glad it will be in print. It's crazy to think if I hadn't been asked to participate in WC I probably would have never heard this talk...so glad I was there. needed it.

Ashley said...

I agree--this talk was amazing and life-changing! I have so many changes I want to implement. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to do that instead of going back to the same routines. I was looking for you guys the whole time I was there--would have been so fun to see you and meet Kristi and Michelle! I didn't have internet access so I didn't see when you would be eating lunch. I think you guys have figured out women's conference a little better than we did--I'll post about it but there definitely seems to be some strategies we should have employed to maximize our experience.

Denise said...

Thank you for sharing your detailed notes. I can't wait to see if/when her talk will be published or rebroadcast. I love a good spiritual high and could really use one right now. Thanks.

Barb said...

I'm coming back to this post again because this part:

"be prepared so that we are in good form to listen, advise, nurture and love as needed. This is a time of strength and power. If we have used our energy elsewhere we won't have it to give where it is needed most."

is really staying with me.

I remember you took the Marriage and Family Relations Sunday School class awhile back and did a Sunday thoughts on mothers 'being at the crossroads'. I'm teaching this Sunday School class in my ward now and I just keep thinking how Sister Beck has raised the bar from being at the crossroads to saving our energy for the swing shift time of day and being ingood form to listen, advise, nurture and love.

I'm really struck by this especially today when by the time the kids came home I was so tired from all the housework etc I'd done today.

Ciria said...

That truly was an amazing talk! I too was overwhelmed by the spirit of the talk!
I was also excited because it was exactly what i was looking for for our upcoming relief society meeting!

Since your and michelle's notes are so thorough I will be using them to enhance mine. THANK YOU!

jk said...

thank you for posting your notes. I was so inspired by them and so I shared your thoughts in Family Home Evening. I can't wait to read the talk!

Emily said...

Jill, thank you so much for posting this. I needed it. A lot.