Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Howdy Partner

Last Friday & Saturday were our ward's 3rd annual rodeo festivities (our Bishop is very energetic and likes big plans), which meant that Claudia was in town a 2nd time to join us.


I borrowed a couple cowboy hats and a pair of cowboy boots from Amie so that we could look more the part this year.


Whitney wore the boots and Jessica's hat, plus a plaid shirt recently gifted to us from Andrew and a bandana around her neck, so she looked cute and cowboyish.


I don't have anything in the way of cowboy gear, so I wore one of Randy's plaid shirts (that's too small for him) and put a bandana in my hair. You can see that Claudia opted to dance barefoot while wearing her cute black jacket. I don't know how she did that though, because I ended up dripping with sweat! The hoe down was originally meant to be outside, but got rained out.


I was so impressed that Landon participated in the square dancing! Now that he has moved up into Young Mens he is acting like one of them.


He was my partner for much of the dancing and we had an excellent time. Other than being super hot and having to work around my gimpy ankle I loved it! (It's surprisingly hard to promenade without a strong Achilles tendon...go figure.)


It's rather fun that we could have such a huge group dancing together. We had to change partners all the time, so that meant holding hands with all kinds of men and boys from our ward; in any other context that would have been weird, but it wasn't.


Whitney is obsessed with this baby and is always talking about him and wanting to hold him.


The rodeo festivities started again at 7:00am Saturday morning with a 1k and 5k run. Randy took Landon over to the start of the 5k and since the route went right past our house I quickly bought the Rocky theme from itunes and blasted it as the runners ran by (I'm not sure how my neighbors felt about that). Landon finished the race with a time of 27:20, not too shabby.


By 8:15 we joined a ton of the primary kids at the starting point of the ward parade. It's so funny that we do this parade every year because with so many people in it there's hardly anyone to watch it!


This rodeo is a big deal, so there is a ton of prep work ahead of time in order to make the day run smoothly.


I had to miss about 3 hours of activities because both kids had soccer games, but was able to rejoin everyone at the rodeo grounds by 1:00. Claudia and her kids had been there all morning.


All the kids love riding this horse-exerciser thing (I'm sure that's the technical term).


Whitney's legs were dragging, but it was still fun.


It cracked me up that Jorvik was wearing his pajamas under his clothes for much of the day, but it made good sense considering the cool, early morning temperature.


Alexei was one of the lucky few who got to ride a sheep (called mutton busting). Here he is fresh out of the gate.


Here is about a half a second later.


And here he is another half a second later with his dismount.


He celebrated his ride by getting two snow cones!


Next up was lunch, which meant standing in a long line in the hot sun. It's crazy that the ward provides breakfast and lunch for everyone!


I don't know why, but Randy was giving the kids a squeeze while they waited.


Pleasing picture no?


Claudia and I took a sunny self-portrait. Why do I always look red and sweaty and she looks like a movie star?


I opted not to eat any corn on the cob because I always make such a mess of myself and need to floss afterward. I didn't see any flossing stations set up, so I went without.


There were more games after lunch, including an enormous tug-of-war with this HUGE rope and an egg toss with all of these people.


Landon's hands.


The last event for the day was the hay bale jumping contest. Landon participated, but I had a raging headache by this point (probably from the sun) so I left before it was over.


This is what I looked like as I walked to the car...red, sweaty, wind blown, sun burned and super tired. If only this photo could show the throbbing of my head it would be totally accurate.

**Do you own cowboy clothes?
Are you a fan of square dancing?
What's your favorite snow cone flavor?
Would you have eaten the corn on the cob?**

Comment Window Tidbit: Collette has been helping me update my resume, which is nice yet rather slightly embarrassing. I don't look so good on paper.

15 comments:

Amie said...

I can't believe your ward puts that on every year. Very cool. It looks like a good time... I had no idea that Claudia went with you.

I always get cherry snow cones but prefer something I can use a straw for instead of those ridiculous triangle cups.

I eat corn on the cob but I ALWAYS cut it off the cob.

Amie said...

How long has it been since I was your first commenter? I may be almost back... I shouldn't say that and jinx next week but I can't help it.

Bugg's mama said...

Woah. Fancy ward! What a great way to bond.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I'm so glad you got pictures of you in the events Jill. It's fun to see you do the doe-se-doe.

I don't look so good on paper, either.

Claudia ALWAYS looks so well put together. Amazing, isn't it?

I don't do corn in public either. I tend to eat it a bit too fast and intently for the public eye.

michelle said...

Stop it with your new banner!! I was just thinking about doing something like that, too...

okay, back to read the post now.

michelle said...

I just can't even believe the magnitude of this activity! The sheer volume of man-hours (and woman-hours) involved makes my head spin. I'm super impressed with your ward for wanting to tackle it.

I have no cowboy clothes, but I think square dancing is pretty fun. (what I remember from elementary school, anyway)

I totally would have eaten the corn on the cob, flossing station or no. We had it for dinner tonight, and Marc said that the dental invasion is a strong deterrent for eating corn on the cob. I have no such problem.

I love that first photo of Whitney, she looks so happy!

brooke said...

Your ward really goes all out--amazing.

I would not have partaken of the corn. I only eat corn on the cob in private where I can be nasty with it.

I like the technical term you used for the horse excerciser thing.

Natasha said...

This is a big production! And square dancing is not my thing.

I cut my corn off of the cob before eating, even at home.

My favorite snow cone flavor is nectar with condensed milk or purple vanilla orchid.

Price Cream Parlor said...

That is so nice of Collette to do that!

I don't own cowboy clothes but I do own a redneck outfit and some overalls...?

I can't believe your ward can do such an event! So fantastic on so many levels! Fun that Claudia was able to join you!

I would have eaten the corn - but cut it off. Love Utah carn (that's how they say it...)

Melinda said...

I think my resume would be laughable. That is nice that Collette is helping you.

I was ward activity person for 3 years and I cannot even fathom putting on a rodeo like this every year. You have some good people in your ward.

I don't own cowboy clothes, I do like to square dance, my favorite snow cone flavor is either grape or strawberry and I love corn on the cob and would have eaten it.

Becky said...

Wow, that is one amazing ward activity!!

I don't own cowboy clothes but used to own overalls that were one of my favorite things to wear, I've never square danced, I love cherry snow cones, and I would have eaten the corn on the cob instead of the watermelon.

P.S. I believe I am going to totally steal your idea of the crayon photo for my header :)

jenn said...

Cute banner! Why are crayons so happy?!! When I read how Kristy put them in clear jars in her house for back to school decoration- I said aloud, "That's genius!"

I'm so envious of wards that plan and put forth the effort to have good activities and this is one of those amazing ones! Bandanas would be our attire- no boots or hats around this house.

Rebekah said...

i don't think i could have lasted all-day through the heat+people+noise+dust. good for you!

i love that they serve two meals. that's so funny. it's a nice way to make sure that people staaaaay for longer periods of time, isn't it?

the photos of alexei are hilarious.

i remember being obsessed with certain babies when i was young. so funny.

becca said...

How fun!!! What great activity! And landon's 5 K time was VERY impressive! And I love that you blasted the rocky theme :)

shannon said...

Holy involved ward event! You guys rocked it out! This sounds like so much fun!!

I've never been in a ward that provided 2 meals!

Mutton busting sounds so funny to me...

I've only square dance once but I had the time of my life...
I'm going to suggest this theme to our ward activity person...

Good times