Saturday, March 20, 2010

Six for Saturday



1. Look what bloomed this week! Oh hooray, I'm so excited for spring, and these little ones have been a very welcome sight.


2. I helped in Landon's class again this week, and was glad the odd girl from last week didn't give me any attitude. Instead she said, "I have something that will change your life." Then she said, "The future is a choice, you are controlled by your past." (There was more to it, but this is all I remember.) Then she said, "Think about this all week." Um, okay. I don't know if she made this up, read it somewhere or is dabbling in fortune telling, yikes.


3. I filled up one of my Cafe Rio cards and got a free meal. I hoard these cards and save the free meal for when money is tight. Whenever I'm paying for a meal there I get a $6 pork tostada, but whenever I get a free meal I get an $8.50 pork burrito. I love it that it turns into two meals for me and that I'm really getting the most out of my free meal card, woohoo.


3. As I sat and read in the car during Whitney's art lesson it started to rain. It was rather cool to be surrounded by windows, kicking back with a book in the rain.


4. Whitney finally got the hippo she sculpted over a few week's time in art class. She sculpted, then glazed it, then it spent time in a kiln, so it was quite a process.



I think it looks like Arthur of PBS fame, but she assures me it's a hippo.


4. I checked Whitney out of school 2 hours early yesterday so she could go to Bella's swim party at 2:00 (Bella has early-out on Fridays). She was beyond excited about this and had been looking forward to the party all week.


5. I picked Landon up from school at the regular time then we went to the movies to see "The Lightning Thief". We shared a ginormous popcorn (which we finished) and he even refilled it on our way out of the theater. We attempted a self-portrait despite the crazy sunny, snowy, windy weather that was going on (hence my comb-over look).


6. I did a Costco stock-up run this week and love feeling like our staples have been replenished. I ended up buying a 3 pound bag of pepperoni there (my first time) then divided it into 9 smaller baggies full so we'd have a supply in the freezer. I had no idea we'd end up with that much pepperoni (it seems like a ridiculous amount to have) but am rather pleased at the money we'll be saving over the next few months. Usually a small bag of pepperoni is about $4 and I got the huge bag for $9, crazy.


Whitney has taken a fancy to pepperoni sandwiches, we're a healthy bunch over here.

**How is your Saturday?
Where did all the commenters go?
What's blooming at your house?**

Comment Window Tidbit: We had gloriously beautiful, spring weather today so I washed the outsides of our windows, raked leaves out of our flower beds, and weeded a bit.

17 comments:

Liz said...

My Saturday has been pretty productive. I went for an hour walk! Rested, had lunch. Then outside to play with kids, sweep out the garage, and rake the gravel back into our driveway (the snow plow always dumps huge amounts of our gravel driveway onto the grass). I was tired after all that work!

What's blooming at my house? Well, we've got tulip and daffodils poking up. And just yesterday Jared and I noticed two tiny sunflower plants popping up. That's a surprise, since the last time we planted those was 2 springs ago (some came up last spring, but my little helper Jared ripped them out of the ground). This year he is lovingly attending to all tiny growing plants and has excitedly told me all week long that it is the first day of spring!! I had to remind him that it was not until Saturday...but he was so cute being excited about that.

Liz said...

Oh, and thanks for the birthday mix cd! I haven't listened to it yet, but I can't wait to hear what you put together!

Melinda said...

We had a pretty good saturday here. We spent time with family, jason and I got away to do a 9 hole golf, and then we went to dinner as a family to say goodbye to jason since he leaves tomorrow and will be gone most of the week.

My tulips are just starting to poke out. I can't wait to see them all. I planted over 100 of them last fall.

Kim Sue said...

we had a beautiful day here today...tomorrow is going to be rainy and will not get out of the 40's. tired, tired of winter weather.

Emily said...

It really is horrible of you to post pictures of Cafe Rio when I can't have it! Just teasing, I'm glad someone can enjoy it. And I think Whitney has a great idea, I made pepperoni sandwiches all the time when I was little!

Linda said...

I was able to have lunch today with both of my kids which doesn't happen often enough these days. It was so nice! We drove down to Orange County where my son lives, went to lunch, took him to work, took Courtney to the airport (she's heading back to AZ after having spring break last week), then we drove the 3 hours back home. Although it was a good day, it was a long one.

My rose bushes have lots and lots of buds on them so that is making me happy. I love roses!

I got the good mail stickers today. You sent me such a plentiful supply, thank you Jill! I love them!

I've been wondering about the commenters too!!

kelly said...

it was a beautiful spring day in ct..a walk on a trail. driving kids to bday parties, cleaning kids rooms, getting rid of a ton of clothes that don't fit the kids anymore.

But did I read this right..you got to refill your popcorn on the way out of the movies. that is unheard of here!! If the theaters allowed that I can only imagin how much the popcorn would cost!!

michelle said...

I really need to plans some crocuses, those really are a welcome sight!

I'm totally cracking up over the odd girl and her words of wisdom for you to ponder. How thoughtful of her to give you something to think about all week!

I can see either Arthur or a hippo in Whitney's sculpture. It's so cool that she gets to do things like that, you don't always have access to a kiln.

My kids would be so excited if I picked them up from school and whisked them off to the movies! We got a good laugh out of half of the popcorn being taken off in a gust of wind.

Funny, I can't even imagine a 9-pound bag of pepperoni. I never buy pepperoni. Whitney's sandwich kind of turns my stomach, but to each her own!

Charlotte said...

I see the Arthur resemblance--that comparison made me laugh out loud!

And Cafe Rio is surely delicious--hooray for used up punch cards!

Becky said...

I'm not sure why I always feel silly writing miscellaneous posts...they are some of my favorites of yours!

My commenters have disappeared as well (Spring Break?).

Pepperoni is one of my fave foods--I'm healthy too (ha). :)

Amy C said...

Wow, that girl IS strange. There was a girl in my sons class a couple years ago that creeped me out. I've never told anyone. Shhhh.

Natasha said...

Oh my, I have never heard of a pepperoni sandwhich. Luci is going on a trip with my parents next week and she's already worried they will "force" her to eat meat.

Whitney's hippo is cracking me up, love what these kids come up with. On Good Friday Luci is taking a 7 hour art class with one project in the morning and another in the afternoon. It will be interesting to see what she comes home with.

Blooming at my house: the brocolli is finally making an appearance. We planted 6 berry bushes recently and a few rows of vegetables.

becca said...

Whitney's hippo is amazing!! I cannot believe she sculpted that all by herself! wow!

And a pepperoni sandwich? I don't think I have ever heard of that!
What a great Saturday!

{natalie} said...

yay for hair getting done.

today was a huge costco shopping day. usually, i shop a few times a week just picking up things we need when i'm there (5 days a week/work) but today i spent $240 in one time. i did love coming home and refilling all my flour/sugar/rice buckets and having paper towels, charmin and cat litter to last a long time. and the macadamia nuts aren't cheap either :)
i was happy with all the organization after it was all home. this is getting long, maybe i should erase it?

ps. i love that whitney goes to art class.

Rebekah said...

I think you just found what to put underneath your cloche. That hippo head is screaming for public display.

It's so nice that crocuses come out early.

amy gretchen said...

The flowers are beautiful. I need something spring like to come out of the ground. I don't think we planted anything. bah!

I love how cafe rio is a meal you can enjoy twice. Also love when it's free.

Whitney has quite a talent. I saw something she randomly drew at our house and although you could tell it was really quick the perspective was awesome. She's definitely got it. BTW I thought it was Arthur.

Glad Whitney could come to the party. Did she say anything about Dillon?? Hope she had fun coming and spending the night.

love stocking up at costco.

Michelle said...

I can't get past this classmate of Landon's. Who is this girl? Are her parents therapists/psychologists? Does she offer these tidbits to the other kids?
Does she have friends?