So last night was our marvelous book club gathering to do our annual book exchange. We also discussed The Zahir by Paulo Coelho, and chose all our books for next year. Regrettably I wasn't the one writing the names of the books down so I can't post the titles until Collette emails the list. I do remember that we're starting the year off by reading The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. I just love it when we pick new books for the year, it's like a present we get to open all together or something.

We were pretty spoiled last night with gifts because Collette brought us all bags of goodies from her trip to Hawaii, Jenn brought us Mexican Vanilla from her cruise to Mexico, and Jana gave us all Christmas gifts (the rest of us aren't ready yet). I just loved all these surprise gifts and I love it that they all love doing that too. I enjoy having friends who share my interests and affection for gift giving. Click here for more photos from last night.

This morning I took Whitney to school, and then read these two Christmas books to her class. I have quite an affection for those 28 kids and now know all their names, so it's fun to go there. At one point during Mouse's First Christmas I asked them if their stockings were soft like the ones in the book. One little boy raised his hand and said "We don't have stockings at our house because my mom says Santa doesn't exist." Fortunately Mrs. Hurst was standing closeby and deflected the issue by reminding the kids that they'd discussed how some people believe in Santa and some don't but that it's fun to talk about him. Is it wrong that I felt a little sorry for the kid?

After my stint at the school I went to Walmart to buy some new cookie sheets (since today is cookie fest 2006 at my house) and totally forgot that my visiting teachers were coming over. Oops! I have it on my calendar and even mentioned it in my post yesterday, but somehow completely spaced it. I didn't remember until 11:30 when I was back home vacuuming and felt a twinge of remembrance that someone was supposed to be coming over. By the way, the new cookie sheets totally backfired on me. They're darker than my other ones and ended up making the edges of the cookies brown. Aargh!
While out this morning, I also stopped in at The Stamp Attic to visit Lisa. I haven't seen her in a long time and hate feeling so out of touch. (I usually have to get updates from Amie.) So I did a tiny bit of shopping there and chatted with her for awhile.
So now I'm in the middle of baking 9 dozen cookies for tonight's cookie exchange. Call me crazy, but I didn't think 9 dozen would be so out of control, (I have no capacity for numbers) but that's 108 cookies. I have found myself wishing for a real mixer instead of the handheld one I got for a wedding gift 13 years ago. Whitney was delighted to help me with this project (she always wants to bake) so I've been taking some cleansing breaths and saying "good job" through gritted teeth. I do enjoy her enthusiasm and desire to help, I just get kind of impatient because I need these to be done right and tend to want to speed things along, but she is getting really good at cracking the eggs and is just so cute about the whole thing that I am actually enjoying her help today.

My crazy week is finally winding down and I'm so relieved. I had a tense neck yesterday which turned into a headache (I've been headache free for weeks lately!) and my lower right eyelid has been twitching; this is a great perk from feeling stressed. I thought I'd had things under control and wasn't feeling too stressed, but I think the fact that I'm constantly reviewing my schedule in my head so that I don't miss something (that didn't work out so well for me today) is stressing me out. Next week should be easy breezy because the only obligation we have is Randy's work party on Thursday and visiting teaching. Nice.
**What do you tell your kids about Santa?
Are you patient with little kitchen helpers?
Do you enjoy baking in general?
Do you like to give gifts?
What happens to you when you're stressed out?**
Are you patient with little kitchen helpers?
Do you enjoy baking in general?
Do you like to give gifts?
What happens to you when you're stressed out?**

25 comments:
Jill,
Please be flattered and not frightened! And I will try to comment from now on and not just lurk (or "glance," I like that better too).
My daughter is in kinder as well and each time I spend a few hours volunteering in the classroom I walk away in awe of her teacher. It takes a lot of energy and creativity to keep up with that many little ones!
Wow. Lots of new commenters. That's fun!
I do like giving gifts for all kinds of occasions. When I got married and got so many gifts from so many people wishing us well I think my enjoyment of it grew a notch b/c I realized how much it means to people.
I somewhat enjoy baking, and don't totally mind little people assistance unless I'm time pressed.
We're into Santa. I tell Clayton to be good or Santa is going to put rocks in his stocking. He is horrified at the thought. He's trying to be on the nice list.
A day late and a buck short, as always, but I wanted to let you know I am still lurking around your blog as well. I don't read as often as I'd like and I never comment, but you can count on my prying eyes. I'm continously looking, laughing and loving everything about your blog.
Stressed? I'm not convinced I get stressed. I have 4 major term papers due Monday (it is currently Thursday), none of which are finished and I am still choosing to respond to your blog rather than work. My guess: by the time I should be feeling stressed I have already shut down and given up hope of meeting a deadline. Probably not the best trait...
I feel sorry for the boys Mom also. What must have happened in her childhood to cancel Santa for her kids, sad. My left bottom eyelid twitches. It drives me insane.
I can't beleive you had 31 comments. I lurke at first. Amie told me to just start but felt totaly stupid.
I LOVE giving gifts. I have sent some good mail this week. So fun.
I am sooo sad for that kids whos' mom told him no santa. My 10yr old still beleives. He tried to figure it out and we told him that Jason and I couldn't afford to buy anything and that as soon as he says he doesn't beleive in santa he stops coming. We will see how long this lasts.
I love baking and I have my list of things I am making for goodie plates for neighbors/vt teachers and everyone else. I really enjoy it. I do not enjoy help thougth. I am not good with that. I just want to be left alone to do my thing. I am learning to get help from the kids. THey love it so much that I really try. But they know that if we are giving it away they don't help. I am too much of a germ freak.
Glad next week is less stressful.
We baked today, as well - I do like baking and am patient with the help when I prepare it as an activity for them.
Go Santa! We definitely believe, here. We bend over backward believing.
I LOVE giving gifts. I sent everyone in my fam a little picture book this week - they have all been calling, so happy.
I lose it when I am stessed - I need to go for a run at that point, even if I hsave already had my morning one!
Enjoy your calm week.
Love love love giving gifts.
When Max was 3 years old he said to Marc, "Santa isn't real, is he?" and Marc replied, "Well, it's really fun to pretend." I felt kind of heartbroken, but glad that Marc kept the illusion going. We don't talk much about Santa, but we definitely have stockings - my favorite part!
I love to bake, but it is kind of hard to be patient with helpers. It's always hard for me to let them help when I know I could do things faster and possibly better on my own, but then I tell myself to take a breath and make some memories. So far it looks like Eva will be the one who likes to help most of all!
When I get stressed, I get a tense neck and shoulders, sometimes I get a headache, sometimes I get a knot in my chest, sometimes I just want to crawl into bed and cry (like last night!).
My kids still believe in Santa, I don't see any harm in it. They grow up so fast anyway. I love to BAKE, and my kids love to help me. I sit one on each side of the mixer and they take turns adding the ingredients after I have measured them out. I am jealous of your book club group. What a great bunch of girls.
I love to give gifts, but wish I was able to give more often. I love to see people's reactions to something I've chosen just for them.
I think I have a high tolerance for stress, I have to with my life. But I do get tension in my shoulders and the other night I was on the freeway from 8th north in Orem to Provo Center street took me 1 1/2 hours. My eyes and head hurt from all the cars' brake lights turning on and off in the stop and go traffic, while my kids said I'm bored what can we do. That is what I call stress! BLAH
Last but not least I think it was so funny all the lurkers you outed on your post yesterday. Good times.
We believe in Santa here at our house. Sad for that poor little boy in Whitney's class.
I love giving little gifys and receiving them too.
As for helpers in the kitchen, sometimes I have more tolerance than other times. In your situation, I probably wouldn't have much tolerance. :)
Hope the exchange goes well!
That's alot of questions, I just hope I can remember them all....
What??? Santa isn't real??? Then how does my stocking get fill each year?
I love to bake, in fact I just made a toasted coconut cream tonight for dinner, yummy! I don't mind having helpers, it's usually fun.
I also love to give gifts but I tend to give things that I would like to receive, is that wrong? So because I know I tend to do this, I am trying to perfect my listening skills and remember things that people like and do surprises for them.
Stress? Well, I'm a completely emotional eater, so there's that or my back and shoulders will get sore, occasionally I'll get a headache but nothing that 800mg of advil won't help. When I had a piano, I would take it out on the piano playing "The Holy City", I loved it, so cathartic.
Oh Jill (see another comment from me, a lurker!),
You have to get some Jelly Roll Pans from Costco (since I know you are a Costco Shopper like I am) for Cookie Sheets. They are the BEST! Once you use them you will never go back.
Just keep in mind, they carry them on and off (so when you see them, buy them or they will be gone)! I just saw them a few weeks ago though when I was looking for some cookie sheets for my sister. I HIGHLY recommend them! (And they are great for making Texas Sheet Cake or Pumpkin Bars too.)
~Kari
Kari--I'm glad you're commenting again. The two cookie sheets I have had for a long time ARE the jelly roll pans from Costco, and I love them. I just haven't seen them there in a long time so I bought cheaper ones at Walmart--I should have known better!
I was also surprise when I got so many replies when I volunteered to help with blogs. Many of the individuals I have never heard of before. It's a bit frightening. Why don't they comment?
I think it's so great you go into the school as much as you do. I feel so guilty I can't help more at Bella's, but know it's the stage I'm at now and there's nothing I can do about it.
I enjoy helpers in the kitchen because I really want them to enjoy cooking/baking. (Ok it does depend on what's going on. If it's a deadline I prefer to do it myself.) I wish it would help my girls enjoy food more, but it doesn't. Bella wants to make everything Giada cooks, but wants no part in the tasting. Crazy.
I have not been stressed yet. I have a feeling it will probably come the few days before Christmas when I realize I've forgotten something.
We're into Santa. In fact, I think it is my favorite thing--stockings! But sadly Taylor is on to us and has been questioning a lot lately--kinda makes me sad but she is 9.5. I was 12 until I figured him out--can you believe that?
I enjoy baking and did my fair share as well in the kitchen today. I am really not very patient with the kids when it comes to preparing food. I am about getting it done. I need to be more fun I guess.
I can't believe you only have a hand mixer! Thats crazy. I am sure your arm is getting a good workout.
I was stressed last week, but have simmered down some since that nasty party is over. Now I am stressed to find a babysitter to a party that I REALLY want to go to next week. I have 4 big zits to prove my stress. Is that proof enough?
First, I think The Memory Keeper's Daughter is great for a book club. I read it over the summer, and really needed to discuss it with someone.
We do Santa at our house. I think my 7 year old will be the first to figure it out -- my 10 year old still seems totally on board. That is funny to me because I had it figured out at age 3 because the Santa at the store wasn't wearing boots -- so I knew it couldn't be the real Santa.
I do enjoy baking, and I struggle with my patience with helpers. My 7 year old is a food network junkie, and so she is always right there to lend a hand. I struggle to let go and not be a control freak (that about sums up my life).
I do love to give gifts. Though I usually overthink the gift buying process way too much.
When I am stressed I get tense in the neck, and I usually wake up in the middle of the night feeling freaked out about whatever is stressing me. Right now I am stressed because I'm the Enrichment leader and our Christmas Dinner is on Tuesday. And my attitude is pretty much "I don't wanna!" It's my third year in a row, and I'm suffering major burnout. But, still stress.
I love giving gifts. So much more than receiving. I like that too but the best part is the smile it gives others.
I need help in the patience department when it comes to little helpers in the kitchen. Since my kids are so close in age all three of them are right there...not good at all!
We do Santa here too but I think Kat is on to us. She remembers everything, gets inside comments and is ALWAYS listening. It gets very annoying.
When the stress hits, I get tense shoulders and a neck ache. I hate it so much the other side effect is yelling. Again, not good.
p.s. that photo of Whitney helping is adorable!
oh my goodness after reading all the comments I can hardly remeber the questions...two stuck with me, how is it that there is people like Laurie that get tons of gifts for their wedding...if we got 5 that was way too much! and I am totally with Pam..when I got stressed and had a piano, the piano would have it...I love to play hARD that is why I think I should have been on a band or something...and then gifts...I think I am like Pam too, I love to give what I would love to have...I think it is just style...I couldn't see myself giving something I consider ugly...eventhough the person would love it? does it make sense? I love to bake, in fact I learned it from my mom...but in the last couple of years, I haven't really done much (eventhough I finally got my KITCHEN AID mixer (HEAVEN) but I have used it only for focaccia and crepes...nothing too fancy like Julia's baking or Michelle's which I would love to do one day! And your book club missy Julie beat me to it, but I LOVE YOUR BOOK CLUB and if I had money I would fly up every month to be part of it! and I am going to crash on your Paris trip! jjejeejjejejej you probably wouldn't want me to tag along....but I love all the pictures and the books and the wraping...which by the way! I must ask you to get me a roll of that red/white paper roll you got at that shop...I LOVE IT! it looks adorable too! I will pay you...PLEASE MISSY???? I don't know what else you ask so I think this is plenty!
What do you tell your kids about Santa?
that he is totally REAL and we make fake videos of him coming in our house. our kids are going to need lots of therapy!
Are you patient with little kitchen helpers? I am fair and getting better. me and the girls do do a christmas cooking day, where I plan on watching the kitchen get destroyed
Do you enjoy baking in general?
nothing i make ever turns out, so i am not a big fan, but love eating any kind of dough!
Do you like to give gifts?
i love giving gifts, but since most of mine are homemade ihave had to learn who to give those kind of gifts to,
What happens to you when you're stressed out?* mine spine hurts, my fingers get tingly, my head feels hot, my whole body aches... i seem to be affected a lot more by stress than I used to and have many physical signs.
oh, and it is so true, that volunteering in the classroom is awesome, AK first two years i knew all those kids as well as my own, i loved it! it made me love the teacher and the school.
this year and the next few years just may not be that time for me, with the two little ones. i do feel so out of touch with her class and it makes me sad
oh and i must say i love hearing about your book club meetings. you girls have such a wonderful group.
My kids are going to believe in Santa and even after they know, we are still going to pretend. My parents did the Santa thing until I got married.
I am 50/50 on the patience with kitchen helpers. If it has to look good or I have a deadline, I try but usually get so frustrated. Mya usually helps with dinner and I can handle that most days.
I LOVE baking and cooking, but baking more. Possibly because the fruits of my baking labors are always sweet and usually produce dough I can sneak.
I enjoy giving gifts and usually try not to second guess myself and go with my gut.
When I am stressed I get really uncomfortable in my clothes and feel like I can't function unless I am wearing comfy jammies. Like my jeans or whatever are suffocating me. I sometimes lose sleep too. This year so far so good.
I love giving gifts, and I got a lot of my shopping done early this year, so I am pumped.
So many questions....
**What do you tell your kids about Santa? They still believe but we don't talk about him much, not really the center of Christmas here. I don't threaten with him (I threaten with us). Hmmm I will have to think more about what "we" think...I would definitely be sad if someone told them he weren't real.
Are you patient with little kitchen helpers? I am never patient...no news to anyone there.
Do you enjoy baking in general? I do like baking but I have pretty much quit in the past few years.
Do you like to give gifts? Yes
What happens to you when you're stressed out?** Grouchiness, hives (once) that was extreme stress, I "check out" for a few days, a little pity party, you know pretty much all kinds of whining.
The Memory Keeper's Daughter is a great book and perfect for a book club. I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did. If you can't find those good cookie sheets at Costco you can also get them at a restaurant supply store. I think that Gigi's in SLC carries them. I am pretty sure it is where I bought mine before we left Utah and I love them. Glad next week won't be as stressful for you!
Post a Comment