Sunday, August 19, 2007

Sunday Thoughts

"You are here on Earth for a diving purpose.
It is not to be endlessly entertained or
to be constantly in full pursuit of pleasure.
You are here to be tried,
to prove yourself so that you
can receive
the additional blessings God has for you.
The Lord is intent on your personal growth and development."
--Richard G. Scott

I had our Activity Day activity at my house last Tuesday afternoon and had originally planned on doing some Back-To-School goals with the girls, but the more I thought about it the more I wanted to talk to them about being the kind of girl the Lord would have them be. It seemed like a great thing to recommit to at the start of a new school year.


We talked about how destructive gossip is, recognizing the importance of being different, celebrating all the things we're good at, and realizing how boring the world would be if we were all the same. I really hope they got something from this activity because my heart hurts when I think of them going to school and struggling to fit in or becoming someone who leaves others out.

{Their lists of things they're good at.}

It is a constant struggle for me to keep myself in check so that I don't feel jealous or critical of others. I know that's not who I want to be, but often the first thought that pops into my head isn't a good one (damn that Satan!). I feel like I'm constantly talking myself back to a loving state of mind, and sometimes I don't do a very good job. But I have a strong desire to be a good person, to be Christ-like, and to fight those feelings, so I try over and over again.

**What do you think??**

19 comments:

michelle said...

Great thoughts, Jill. It's just what I want to focus on with my kids as they're going back to school.

I was intrigued by your opening quote. It seems I spend far too much of my time pursuing pleasure, and being frustrated when I don't have as much time for that as I would like. Maybe I need to change my whole outlook and focus more on personal growth...

Elizabeth said...

That sounds like a perfect start of the school year lesson. How awesome that you are able to make a difference in these girls experiences. I guarantee that at least one of them will look back when they are older and give credit to their experience with you, helping them through the school years. I still remember the advisors that did that for me and I am ever grateful.

Price Cream Parlor said...

I think that this was so smart to use your AD with such a topic. It is a gentle reminder to us as well! Thank you! - great sunday thoughts!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

"damn that Satan!"

Classic, Jill.

Lucy said...

Most likely, those girls needed the lesson you gave them more than what you were originally planning. I certainly need it frequently. I get stressed out thinking about all the different areas I lack strength, talent or even interest that other women seem to have or do better than me, and Satan really does work hard to either leave me with feelings of failure or the desire to somehow pull someone else down.

I'm glad we are all different too. While I have little talent with ribbon or baking, I can sing and write with lots of parenthetical comments. (The world needs that kind of variety, right???)

Anonymous said...

What a great activity for those girls- their moms are so lucky to have you as their leader!

I get frustrated that I don't have as much time as I would like for pursuing hobbies even though I know that is not what it is all about! Right now it is mothering and serving others- I know I know that- but I love this reminder.f The jealous and critical thoughts of time for personal interests have been on my mind a lot lately. I so don't want to be that person. Thanks Jill!

Welcome Home- looking forward to reading all about it.

jenny said...

That does sound like a great lesson. I know it's hard to even practice what we preach. We want our kids to be that way, but what about us as individuals.

Great thoughts. And love the package of cookies next to the notes--my favorite :)

becca said...

Great thoughts as usual! I think this is such a great idea to talk to the girls about and it is SO important at the ages they are at...who am I kidding? It is always important and I think it would be a good idea for me to sit down and think about this every so often as well! It is so easy to get sucked into gossip, coveting, and just wishing for more or different. What a great skill to be able to remember who we are and what matters most! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Oh Jill. I love the fact that you are honest about how you are. So often this is how I feel about others(!) and then I feel like such a loser, that I have to go back to square one and tell myself all over again that I am fine just the way I am, that I don't have to be envious of what other people have or are. Thank you for being you. I truly appreciate it.

I'm grateful that you talked to the girls about accepting who they are and in turn accepting others around them. Girls are sooooo hard on themselves, and sooooo hard on others. It is something that my girls struggle with in the high school and middle school. We've had many heart to hearts about not letting others control who we are, and in turn, not judging those that are different from us. It is hard, and not always do they "take the high road", but little by little, it is sinking in.

Anonymous said...

Well, I wish you were my daughter's Activity Day leader for one thing!

This is such a great topic any time, but I think it's such a good reminder right now. For them, and for me! Your opening quote really is something to think about.

Anonymous said...

What a great topic to plan an Activity Day around. I love how you really put thought and care into fulfilling your calling--way to listen to the Spirit! Sarah has a great Activity Day leader and looks forward to each time they meet. I think I need to share your lesson with her.

Marie said...

It IS hard not to compare yourself with others and want to have the talents you see in them. While I do think it is important to be happy with who you are, I don't think it is always bad to see something in someone that you want too. It is by seeing an admiring others I am most often motivated to learn something new, or to change myself for the better. Don't worry, Jill. You are awesome.

patsy said...

Beautiful thought- I love your Sunday Thoughts!

Rebecca said...

I think that as women wanting to be like others is one of our downfalls. We think that the lives around us are perfect and free from the same trials. She is so skinny. I wish I could sing like that. I can't do anything. We seem to so many times be negative people. I liked the comment about how seeing good things in others and striving to be like that too is not a bad thing. I think it is the way we beat ourselves up that lets Satan in. I know that I am far from my perfect self but I wouldn't trade my trials with anyone else's. At least I am equipped to handle my own. I bet your lesson was awesome and if it didn't help those girls 100% you made up for it by helping all of us! (sorry about the ramble--I have been lurking around your blog ever since stumbling onto Kristi's a few months ago...I'm Rebecca.)

denise @ little ant design said...

I say this a ton but I really do love your sunday thoughts.

What an amazing AD leader you are - a blessing to the girls (and their mothers) I'm sure.

Why do we as women compare ourselves? We all have so much to offer yet we pick what we are the worst at and find the women who excels in it and then that is who we choose to compare ourselves too. It's crazy!

I don't know you (other then reading your blog constantly) but from all that reading I see someone that is an amazingly good person. One who loves people and thinks of others. One who has much to offer and has touched the lives of many. I think you're amazing!

Anonymous said...

Jill, what a great idea. I am also the activity day leader and I think I'll use this idea of yours. I am in desperate need of some good ideas and your's is definitely a brain to be picked. If you ever get a moment do you think you could e-mail me some of your best activities? Thanks!

Laurie said...

I'm sure you're making a positive difference in those girl's lives (and anyone who reads your blog as well). Inspirational.

Barb said...

Your quote at the top is killing me because it is aimed right at what I dont' like about our plan for youth activity tonight. We're going to once again play inane games and have treats, and it seems like that is all we do all summer long. I'd rather set back to school goals, but combined with the young men, I just dont' see that working out.

amy gretchen said...

I worry so much about this with my girls. I can see each of their personalities and can almost guess what there school experiences will be like. If I can do anything it would be to teach them to love others and to celebrate their difference. What a great lesson to have with that age group. They are certainly lucky to have you.