Monday, July 14, 2008

Cupcakes, A Baby & Gum

We ended up staying at Seven Peaks until they closed at 8:00 tonight! What in the world. We never set out to stay a super long time, it just kind of works out that way.


My sweet blogging friend Patsy emailed me last week to say she wanted to bring me some tasty cupcakes since I had commented on her blog that I usually only like the frosting on cupcakes. She was in Provo dropping her daughter off at EFY at BYU so we planned to meet at Seven Peaks for a cupcake hand-off. I also got to meet her cute daughter Hailey, who is a one-time commenter, but daily reader of my blog...Hi Hailey!


These beauties did NOT disappoint! The chocolate cake was moist and tasty, and the chocolate mousse inside was a definite plus. I always love frosting, so that was delightful as well. I was very selective about sharing these today since we didn't have enough for everybody. Amie, Melinda and I all got one of course!


Melinda and her family (including her husband) joined us today, so we had 5 more kids to add to the mix of James, Jessica, Landon, Whitney and Lucas (Michelle, Max and Eva didn't come). It made for a lot of fun match-ups and more girls for Jessica and Whitney to play with.


Little Ryan was entertaining and lasted the whole day without a nap. Melinda had to chase him a lot, but Amie and I didn't mind that one bit (ha). Her husband took him to various pools as well, but 8 hours is a long time to entertain a toddler at a water park.

The kids had a great time together.
{Cameron, Landon, James, Lucas & Livvy.}

Ashley, Jessica and Whitney

Amie and Melinda humored me by taking this self-portrait. Poor Melinda forgot to wear sunscreen today, and she actually ventured out from under the umbrellas into the sun!


Melinda's husband Jason spoiled the kids by letting them try to dunk him in the wave pool (apparently they were successful twice) and by buying them fries (and later corn dogs, chicken nuggets, hamburgers and more fries). We don't usually buy food there so this was a great treat!


As we were finally loading up to leave around 8:15, blog reader and Miss Blog Party 2008 Winner Ryann (not yet a blogger herself) spied us in the parking lot and came over to say "hi". Of course we had to take a self-portrait!


The absolute highlight of the day for the kids was the free gum that was being given away. Some girls had given us like 10 packets each at our camp, but then as we were leaving for the day there was a van full of gum that they were passing out to everyone. Our kids went back like 3 times. When I offered Landon a cupcake in the car on the way home he actually said, "No thanks, I'm kind of too excited about all this gum."

**Do you make great cupcakes?
Have you ever gotten loaded up
with free treats like this?
Do you buy food at places like this?
Do you forget to wear sunscreen?**

19 comments:

michelle said...

What a day! I can't believe I wasn't there for Patsy and her fabulous cupcakes -- total bummer. I absolutely love the last photo of the kids in their gum excitement.

No, I hardly ever buy food at places like that -- maybe once at the end of the year would I get the kids Snowies or something... and no, I never forget sunscreen, I just look like I do!

Thanks again for taking Lucas on your marathon day. He was so very happy.

Tasha said...

I forgot susnscreen when I was working in my yard in late spring. I swear it was not hot, but my arms were burned for a month.

How fun to get to see Melinda and Ryanne both today!

Ashley said...

That cupcake looks sooooo good.

Linda said...

Yep, I make a pretty mean cupcake myself but never with filling...guess what I'm making tomorrow!

My brother-in-law has worked for Wrigley's for over 10 years now. He's done a really good job of keeping us supplied with gum and/or their latest treat.

Sunscreen...never used it when I was younger but never forget it now.

Cecilia said...

I can't believe I missed all the fun today at Seven Peaks!!! And you guys even had self-portraits??? I guess I wasn't that lucky, the other day.....LOL

I'm glad you guys had fun! The cupcakes look AMAZING! Yay...for all the treats!!! I don't buy food there, but Tiago makes me buy a snowie everytime we go!

I always put tons of sunscreen on my kids and forget about myself. Luckily no sunburns yet!!!

patsy said...

I can't sleep- I'm up and so happy you loved the cupcakes! I doubt they were very good by the end of the day- it was pretty hot. Sorry it was such a quick drop off, we were really tired of the teens in the car... long story.

Wow on the gum!
We don't buy the food either, unless it's a special occasion or desperate moment.

8:00~ holy moly that's amazing.
I have to admit, I thought seven peaks was a lot bigger. I haven't seen it in years. That really steep slide??? do your kids go down that thing? I am naucious just thinking about it!

Kim Sue said...

Yum those cupcakes look fabulous...way to go patsy!

Kirsten said...

It has been fun reading about your adventures this summer...I love water parks. I have been kind of jealous that you get to do this every week! Those cupcakes look so yummy!

Natasha said...

How fun to meet up with so many people! The cupcakes look delish.

I try to avoid buying food at our club if at all possible. Outside food is not allowed in, even at the pool, but I have been known to sneak in wheat thins and juice when necessary!!

I got burned when we went to the lake in georgia with my brother. As in burnt to a crisp and then peeled. I reapplied sunblock twice but I guess I rubbed it off with my towel after swimming or something.

j said...

holy moly! i can't believe 8pm- but really- with cupcakes like that, i'd likely stay all day, too! :)

i'm a pretty mean cupcake maker, but they don't always turn out so pretty- i need to figure out the frosting thing. i'm also not so big on carnival/amusement food, but if there is an elephant ear around, you can bet i'll eat it.

i always forget sunscreen. this is not good. i have several new "spots" on my back from last summmer's training. amazingly, you CAN get burned in alaska, too, i'm finding out. go figure!

becca said...

What a great day! I cannot imagine staying at a water park that late!!

I am like you and usually just eat the frosting off the cupcakes...cake is not my favorite (but I eat it anyway :)

It looks like the kids had a blast!!

Laurie said...

My kids are so crazy about gum they would have loved that too. I love Landon's comment.

I've made some good cupcakes recently. Baking in general though takes too long. Someday...

Anonymous said...

That cupcake looks sooo good. How awesome to meet up there just for that! I love cupcakes...

Cool that a dad was there- I assume he was off being a kid with the rest of them, right??? That is what Linc would do. We rarely buy food at places like that- too pricey for what you get, and then they want it every time.

This year we are doing great with remembering sunscreen! Since my mom's cancer I am kinda a weirdo now about that kind of stuff, even though it was a totally different cancer. Wonder if I will get over that.

Amie said...

We never forget sunscreen, rarely buy food, are greedy when it comes to free things, and had a great day.

PS - I am retiring for self portraits at the water park. I don't care about being documented looking like that... I wouldn't put it in a scrapbook or in a blog book so I don't need them at all. I would be happy to take them of you so you can be documented....

Bond Girl 007 said...

hey, i would have flown all the way up there to get a cup cake and spend the day with you guys...sounds like a lot of fun...i love when you can buy food by an establishment by a pool or ocean, i guess because we rarely did as kids, so as adults, i always feel like an indulgence. But NO I usually don't buy unless I am starving or feel like treating...I think this is a guy thing, most women rather make things to take...I know that deep down I should have been a man...that would totally be me! any how...that is great that you guys had a good time, but ouch with melinda's sun....hopefully it just looks like it does and not really! I love gum, so I would have go for the cupcakes and the gum!

Liz said...

Those cupcakes look delightful! SOunds like it was a fun day filled with cool surprises!

wende said...

patsy makes the best cupcakes ever. i'm not too bad myself, but she makes them more often so that makes her queen.

i'm so glad you got some good cupcakes after you once commented on my blog that they are always asthetically pleasing but always disappointing to taste! what?! the blogger moms up here are ALL about the yummy cupcake. cute is nice, but if it doesn't taste good than what's the point?!

no sunscreen? ouch! i NEVER forget it, i'm a little nazi about it in fact. if i ever get my "sun" spt done then you can read all about how fantical i am about it.

Robyn said...

Wow, it's so strange for your Monday to be joined by so many new people! Sounds like you all had a lot of fun. Jason sounds like he did a great job keeping the kids happy and entertained. I can't imagine all that free gum as a kid- it would be heaven. Good times.

carlo said...

how cool is that to have 2 blogger meetings! and the gum excitement is too funny