
The sight of my dad and Adam putting together the tent Adam borrowed for this event was a first for all of us!

My mom, Robyn and Lori surprised us all by using the dutch ovens and coal starter container my mom bought as part of her emergency preparedness stuff. They made beef stew and cornbread in these and they turned out great. Who knew this was even possible for our family?

Randy and Landon put together our ginormous tent for the 2nd time ever (the first was in June at the Father & Sons camp out for church). The only reason we even have a tent is because my mom thought it would make a good gift for Randy and Landon's birthdays (combined) last year.

We could not have anticipated the screaming, giddiness that playing in an empty tent would trigger in the girls. They were so thrilled with this new place to play, that their voices went ultrasonic on us.

Andrew made a brief appearance to hug my dad and get his glasses cleaned. He's definitely NOT a camper!

Ashley, Tess, Olivia and Megan parked their tiny selves on this bench (with room to spare) so they could watch Adam chop wood, how's that for homemade entertainment?

Having a fire in the backyard was definitely a first for our family. My mom bought this nice fire pit at Walmart this week for $99 (I've always wanted one of these). The kid grilled their hot dogs in it, and later we all sat around it talking. (That's the best part of camping right?)
Miss Lori served us the dutch oven beef stew.
The best part of the night was sitting around the fire talking, eating s'mores and looking up at the beautiful night sky (the stars really show up in freakin Eagle Mountain).
We made our big tent the kids' tent so they happily set up their sleeping bags and stuffed animals. They had a lantern in there at one point and weren't keen on the moths it attracted, so that was almost a deal breaker for a couple of the little ones.

The kids finally quieted down, after multiple threats from us, around 10:30. We really hadn't anticipated the noise-level they would produce, apparently we're rookies.

Randy and I slept in Lori's small tent (she slept with my mom and Ashley in Robyn's tent...Robyn slept in the house because she had to get up at 5:30 to go run 20 miles!). I brought the air mattress I had purchased a couple years ago for girl's camp, so I was pretty cozy! The only real issues I had were Randy's snoring (he was closer to me than usual) and the miscellaneous night noises (dogs barking, sprinklers going, and the rooster that started crowing at 4:30am!!! $#@!).

In the morning, Lori cooked pancakes on a griddle on the grill (it's a propane grill, that's camping!).

Cutie pie Ashley has been so clingy with Robyn lately that she won't acknowledge any of us if Robyn is around, so since Robyn was off running forever this morning Ashley was actually social and charming.

The screened in porch at my parents' house is the greatest thing ever. The boys ate their breakfast out there and then the adults did. We sat out there talking for over an hour, what a lovely way to spend the morning.

The kids gathered outside to eat their breakfast and all got their fill of pancakes, waffles, eggs, bacon and hot chocolate.
The only unpleasant part of the whole experience (other than the freakin rooster) was having to clean everything up! Randy, Adam and Amy took down the tents and rolled up the sleeping bags, I cleaned the very messy kitchen, Robyn continued to run her 20 miles, and Lori slept on my parents' bed. (Jared is in California climbing Mt. Whitney so he wasn't part of this gathering.) It was a good time and I think it should become a family tradition.
**Have you ever backyard camped
with your whole family?
Did you camp while growing up?
What's your favorite thing about it?**
with your whole family?
Did you camp while growing up?
What's your favorite thing about it?**
22 comments:
This sounds like so much fun! Definitely needs to be a new family tradition!
Jill, this is one of the neatest posts I've read in a long time. Your family always seems to be doing fun things together which is to be commended for sure.
This absolutely should become a family tradition! I bet the kids has a ball.
(Lorie looks like a wonderful aunt to the kids!)
i never did a lot of camping as a kid- making up for it as an adult, though.
that looks like an ideal camping trip!!! especially with kids! how much fun!!!
We were just saying we need to go camping soon. It seems like your parents have the perfect backyard for this.
yeah you even smelled like camp fire...heheheheh just kidding
Sounds like it was a lot of fun. I love the idea of hanging out as a family with a backyard camp out.
This looks like so much fun. I really like camping but my husband does not so we have not done it with our two year old yet... maybe next summer. I think she would love it. I agree that the worst part of camping is the cleaning up... followed closely by the setting up.
I have found your blog recently from Everything is Pink and really enjoy reading it. I love your concept of good mail and have started documenting the good mail I recieve and sending out more. thanks.
i love this idea!! i've been barking about how we need to go camping, but we keep putting it off since packing up and going somewhere seems like such a production. this could be a deal maker for us (well, when it's less than 90 degrees out, that is!)
Amazing! I have never, ever, camped with my family. The only camping I have done is girls' camp. Backyard camping seems like the way to go!
I love that fire pit -- that seems like a great family attraction. Good thinking on making your huge tent the kids' tent! And having an air mattress! Snoring and 4:30 am crowing, huh? I hope you remembered your ear plugs.
Unprecedented indeed! But how fun! This is camping that I could get into!
I love this! We were never outdoorsy growing up either, but I remember loving sleeping in tents. Every year on the last day of school, my dad would set up a tent for us in the backyard with balloons hanging off of it. That's when we knew summer had really started!
What a great adventure! This will be a forever memory for those littles! How fun!! I laughed out loud about your spider comment!
We would go camping growing up - at Big Bear in California. Great memories! We have never backyard camped - we have set up the tent in our game room (does that count?) with making s'mores in the mircowave! HA! This gives me a great idea to pass on to my parents! -
My favorite thing about true camping is the food. Somehow it just tastes better being outside.
I camped a lot growing up but have only been a few times as an family now. I think its much more enticing to camp as a child! As an adult all the packing, cleaning and repacking takes some of the fun out of it. This looked like so much fun. What a great family tradition!
Fun! I did this with family when I was little.
This is how we get to live after a Hurricane and NO electricity for a week or so. We dont set up tents n the backyard, but we "camp" in our houses and yards.
We have one of those fire pits and it became one of our favorite places to gather every evening one year after a Hurricane. We would make s'mores, play games, and tell stories every evening. When the electricity came back on , we still wanted to gather around the fire at night.
Wow!! I can't believe what a "real" campout that was! So fun for the kids...I love it! I am not a camper at all, but I think I could do something like that.
how fun for you guys.. we did a lot of camping growing up.. even backpacking.. camping.. but my 5 year old has never camped..how sad is that? we should at least let him try out the back yard!
First of all let me say Ashley's bad 2 yr old hair got cut that day by Lori, it's much better now! I have no idea why she acts like she is mute when I am there...
I love that picture of Lori serving the stew, it's adorable.
I also think we should make this a tradition. I was so sad to miss all the morning stuff (not so much the cleaning part) but the bfast, etc. Believe me, I was dreaming of those pancakes, eggs, and bacon while I ran!
It was alot of fun, I love the campfire part, definitely my favorite.
That is my kind of camping with indoor plumbing just a door away! It looks like a fun time. We went to our ward campout once, and enjoyed it but then never went again.
That is awesome!! LOVE IT! SO fun. The worst part of camping anywhere, anytime is the cleanup. Luckily you were next to the house for ease in cleaning up.
What a fun idea! I might get into this kind of camping...ha ha!
I love sitting around the campfire, talking and eating s'mores.
My least favorite is cleaning up for sure!
We haven't been camping this summer yet.I told my husband that if he wanted to go camping, he would have to plan the trip and that hasn't happend yet.
Wow, it really did turn out well, didn't it? Can you believe we didn't even know what we were serving for dinner at 1:00 that afternoon? Ok, so dinner was an hour and a half late, I guess that would clue you in. I hereby declare every Labor Day weekend our Backyard Campout! Yeah!!!!!
Wow!!! This looks so awesome- you guys rock! Camping with family can be so fun, even if it is just in the backyard.
You know I love camping and we go a lot and I could go more. Everything about camping is appealing to me and I feel so free and relaxed while camping, even with kids. The clean up never bothers me, it is more that we are cleaning up to go home!
That fire pit is awesome- we are looking for some sort of fire pit type thing in our backyard and that looks perfect!
Post a Comment