Friday, September 12, 2008

Boot Scootin & Such

Last Friday and Saturday our ward put on a rodeo which involved a hoe down, a dutch oven dessert bake off, a cake walk and hay rides one night, then a 1k and 5k fun run the next morning, along with a flag ceremony, pancake breakfast, parade, fair and then actual rodeo-type activities. We had such a great time!


The hayride involved being pulled around the empty parking lot on this trailer of hay, but the kids all loved it. Whitney said she rode it 14 times!


The highlight of the night for me was the square dancing (that's right, square dancing!). I hadn't done that since about 6th grade, but had so much fun. The only downside for me was that I was wearing flip flops. I had actually thought about my footwear choice before going, but didn't think it would be a problem. Apparently I'd forgotten how aerobic and active square dancing could be!


They had a professional "caller" there who taught us what to do and then called out the steps. The majority of the adults participated, so it was super fun. Later on in the evening they taught us a couple line dances, so now Randy and I know how to do the Boot Scootin Boogie (so fun). We were so tired by the end of it, but we loved it.


At one point, I was talking to Claudia and she said, "Missy, look at the sky" so I turned around and this is what I saw! Could this be more beautiful?! I had been facing the other way and almost missed this glorious view.


Randy got up early to take Landon to do the 1k run on Saturday morning (I was sleeping!). Landon got 2nd or 3rd place in the kids' run. Woohoo!


They did such a great job with the parade. There were so many ward members involved that there weren't very many people there to watch it go by! Whitney rode her scooter in the parade and zoomed by so quickly I almost missed her completely.


Claudia's family and I joined the group at the pancake breakfast, then watched the parade and went to the fair. Claudia was so funny, she said, "Missy, take a picture of me with these trees."


Whitney was in treat heaven this day, and the cotton candy was just the start of it. She ended up getting treats at her soccer game, a snow cone and 2 Popsicles at the rodeo, then a shake later that night for the 2 goals she scored during her soccer game. Oh dear. It's a good thing this was an exception day and not the norm.


The sack races at the fair were a big hit with all the kids and were pretty fun to watch. (Notice Landon falling down in this picture.) We had to leave early though (yes there were tears) because both kids had soccer games at 11:00.


We rejoined the fun at the rodeo after our games were over (I was so tired by that point that I actually debated not going...crazy girl). Whitney and many of the other kids rode the horse-exercising harness thing (I think that's the correct name for it) like a swing as one of the dads pushed it around.


They had snow cones for the kids, but ran out of syrup by the time I got in line (bummer).


They had mutton busting (kids riding sheep), which was highly entertaining and amazing to see because they were rough rides. Our kids didn't do it (I think they were too big, plus the line was very long) but I was shocked to see some of the smaller kids from primary doing it.


It was a long, exhausting, filthy, fun day for our entire ward. We all got sun burned (my nose has been peeling this week dang it), bonded as a group and felt more united. There was a ton of work that went into planning this and it was a huge success. Good times.

**When was the last time you square danced?
Do you know how to do the Boot Scootin Boogie?
Have you been to an activity like this?
Have you ever done mutton busting?**

20 comments:

Laurie said...

That is a massive undertaking for a ward activity! Sounds like fun though.

I have never done any mutton busting, but it cracks me up. I've never line danced either, but I do remember square dancing at a church activity once.

Great fun to have Claudia there for it too!

michelle said...

Wow, what a huge activity! I had never even heard of mutton busting, that is hilarious, especially the helmet.

I can't remember the last time I square danced -- oh wait! I do! It was a couple of years ago at the school dance festival. And the Laurels taught the RS women to do the Boot Scoot Boogie a couple of months ago.

I love love love the photos of the sunset and Whitney with her cotton candy!

Liz said...

Oh what fun!!! When I was in HS we lived in FL and were near the church ranch. Every year they had a rodeo, and it was sooo fun to watch!

Kim Sue said...

mmmm cotton candy, snowcones, shakes...I want to be one of your kids! :0)

Price Cream Parlor said...

This is a HUGE event for a ward! Looks like you have a great activity committee? I have never heard of mutton busting! Could be because of my Southern California roots? That would crack me up and worry me at the same time seeing the tiny primary kids like that!
I am impressed that you guys went and then did the games and returned! Now that is dedication and support!
Oh - I love to Boot Scootin' boggie! I haven't squared danced since I was 10?
Fun event -

wende said...

wow! what a fun activity, i'm feeling sorry for the person in charge of putting all that together though! holy smokes!

mutton busting? oh my gosh that is the funniest thing i've ever heard! i would love to have some video of that! i can't believe there were kids brave enough to do it, and the poor sheep, they were probably scared to death?!

i can do the boot scoot boogie, but it ain't pretty!

thanks for the birthday wish jill, you're incredible for remembering everyone's big day!

becca said...

What a weekend! That is quite the ward activity! It looks like it was a complete blast. The kids riding the sheep is too cute...I had no idea you could even do that! Very fun!

Becky said...

WOW! I have never heard of such a huge, awesome ward activity! (Is it bad that the first thing I thought of was, "I hope the Bishop didn't have a busy week and then have that two-day event on top of it!"?) It does look awesome and my kids would have loved every minute of it :)

Mutton-busting is something I had never heard of and I've never seen sheep big enough to hold a kid--too funny! :)

I also loved your recap of your time with Claudia--it looks like it was such a great time for everyone.

Amy C said...

What a fabulous ward activity! I haven't square danced in probably 30 years, but I can do the Boot Scootin Boogie! And most importantly - Your picture of the church building is breath taking.

Jill said...

Hey Becky, the funny thing is it was our bishop's idea! He is super high energy and did everything, he came in 4th place in the 5k. He's like the energizer bunny. Plus, we had regional conference that weekend so he had meetings the evening of the rodeo and the next day!

Elisa said...

That was a WARD party? That is truly amazing. The most amazing part being the number of people who participated.

j said...

that is so awesome- what a great activity!!! it looks like a fantastic time. mutton busting?! i always wanted to do that....

Melinda said...

That is a HUGE undertaking to plan that whole thing. Holy cow, that looked like so much fun! What a great ward activity.

Robyn said...

I can't believe how amazing this activity was. It was like a full-on festival! I am so impressed that you guys square danced- it looks like so much fun. I am sure the kids LOVED it and I can see why they were in tears when they had to leave. The kids riding sheep is classic! Oh, and cotton candy... YUCK.

melanie said...

What a ward party. I can't even imagine such a great activity. I'm so impressed you had so many helpers (the one thing our ward lacks).

Oh the Boot Scootin Boogie, it's been 15 years at least. That was popular when I was in high school and man did we rip up the stake dances, ha!

That sunset is gorgeous! Fabulous photo!

Bond Girl 007 said...

You mean we missed the harness and the sheep part? We almost came back to have lunch with you guys...since it was kind of late. Wow. It was very fun, although I don't think I could dance much with flip flops and my period...what a combo! Any how...I really loved being there with your family and enjoying the scenery...the hay drive was FAST, I thought but fun nevertheless...can you tell my make up is like a day or two old? But those trees were gorgeous! I really had a great time!

Denise said...

Wow! It's hard to imagine being in such a fun ward. . . . Your photos, as usual, are amazing.

Amie said...

That is quite the ward party...I'm glad it was such a success.

It has been a long time since I line danced or square danced...

We have been the observers of the mutton busting many times... it is always hilarious and I always feel a little sorry for the sheep.

Becky said...

Jill--my husband is many wonderful things but "energizer bunny" is not one of them (I'm still amused as I try to imagine that!). That is a wonderful trait for your bishop to have and such a blessing for your ward! Wow...

charlotte said...

I don't think I've square danced since the "rhythms" units in elementary school--what a fun activity!